New kibble system Y or N

vetmeda1

9 minutes ago, Xenithar said:

to tame two of everything.

two of everything wont produce you enough kibble in a reasonable timeframe, especially when you start, so make that 4-5 females + male + oviraptor for every few groups of egg layers (and then hoarder syndrome would prevent them to dispose of uneeded ones). Then yes, combine it with breeding and multiply by number of tribes (because everyone want to be self-sufficient).

Tamed dino limit depends on platform and on PC it is about 8000(?). Dont remember.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Demerus said:

you guys waited until the patch went live to voice your concerns?

The beta was up for over 1 month to test all this stuff.

This was all voiced in the beta but not addressed :) 

1 hour ago, acat said:

A new kibble system is the right step. The only thing i am not sure about is the extraordinary kibble. Wyvern and rock drake eggs are fine, but golden eggs? I have never tamed a hesperornis, how often do they poop them? And maybe we need an increased spoil timer for the golden eggs...

As per the wiki: When they've killed and eaten 25 fish, they lay an egg that is either a golden egg or a hesperonis egg. Yes, that's TWENTY FIVE FISH! For a chance of that egg. I mean, I know it's supposed to be difficult but that is ridiculous... I would prefer if they laid hesperonis eggs by the same logic as all other egg layers and that the golden egg came after killing 20-25 fish (or some other interval), meaning I'm not taking away the annoying hassle of having to get fish for it, just making it more reliable.

20 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

more than 70 players. 70 is the limit (on officials) for concurrent players, throw in the mix times zones and you can have a couple of hundreds of players active on the server at different times.

Point taken. Either way the simple solution in my opinion is to update the damn code. UE is at 4.21 and, due to bad code from the beginning which has never been updated, we are stuck at 4.5.1, which is likely the cause of so much headache for 2080 guys in Windows 10 as well as the low framerates and poor SLI code. SLI was back-ported from 4.15 since they could not update to 4.15 themselves...

I don't like new system. I have pack of dodos and dilos and used to collect their eggs to make kibble and tame all base Dino's (I think so) for effective development: ptera, anky, doedicurus, ichty. BTW dodos have a great egg production speed. Just think about it: these small babes (dodos and dilos) gave me a huge potential in development. And now with new system I gotta tame bigger Dinos, spending hours just for their eggs.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
16 hours ago, ErnestTheGamer said:

Old kibble Does not tame right tried old dodo kibble on pteranodon and only 1.3% taming on a lv20 that’s just a waste.

Jen said it was going to still work, but obviously that didn't happen.

And no... The kibble rework is bad as it makes everything in little packs. No progression, and no technique. No preparing to do anything, and making sure you got the specific kibbles, you just need a general 'grouping' of them to actually tame 7 different dinos.

While it's 'easier', it just took a great dump on the skill needed to maintain a good selection of kibbles, all for the sake of those who said that it was too hard for someone who was working/had a life/is a casual gamer.

What it's going to cause, is an excessive amount of people taming dinos, filling up servers because it just became so much easier to not give a dodo about what you are going to tame... You now go out with a single set of kibble, for a group of 7 possible dinos... Not knowing what you are going for, and finding that '1' to tame, they'll just race out and tame the 2/3rd level cap dinos and keep doing it, not actually getting a top level high stat dino.

Start with crap, you'll keep getting crap. Stop breeding crap.

6 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Jen said it was going to still work, but obviously that didn't happen.

And no... The kibble rework is bad as it makes everything in little packs. No progression, and no technique. No preparing to do anything, and making sure you got the specific kibbles, you just need a general 'grouping' of them to actually tame 7 different dinos.

While it's 'easier', it just took a great dump on the skill needed to maintain a good selection of kibbles, all for the sake of those who said that it was too hard for someone who was working/had a life/is a casual gamer.

What it's going to cause, is an excessive amount of people taming dinos, filling up servers because it just became so much easier to not give a dodo about what you are going to tame... You now go out with a single set of kibble, for a group of 7 possible dinos... Not knowing what you are going for, and finding that '1' to tame, they'll just race out and tame the 2/3rd level cap dinos and keep doing it, not actually getting a top level high stat dino.

Start with crap, you'll keep getting crap. Stop breeding crap.

The problem is that people were already doing this, except they were doing it with junk dinos they will never ever use, taming itself doesn't require that much skill, the kibble was more of a hassle than anything else.  It does make the system easier to use, but since there is still an egg requirement, it's not like people are going to have infinite kibble to tame all those crappy Rex's, the new kibbles require A LOT more resources and time to make (outside of the eggs).

Officials will still have tame limit caps, this update won't fix that.  What it will fix is the wonky sense of progression by forcing people to step out of their comfort zone and tame difficult dinos the hard way first, before they can tame them the easy way with kibble.  Progression will now only be as fast as the player wants to go, instead of being artificially slowed down by needing 20 different egg layers sitting still for a week.  Players can also freely experiment with different dinos now since they won't need to waste a week or more getting useless dinos to build up to that one interesting one, they can just use the dino eggs they already have.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
Just now, TheBlastMage said:

The problem is that people were already doing this, except they were doing it with junk dinos they will never ever use, taming itself doesn't require that much skill, the kibble was more of a hassle than anything else.  It does make the system easier to use, but since there is still an egg requirement, it's not like people are going to have infinite kibble to tame all those crappy Rex's, the new kibbles require A LOT more resources and time to make (outside of the eggs).

Officials will still have tame limit caps, this update won't fix that.  What it will fix is the wonky sense of progression by forcing people to step out of their comfort zone and tame difficult dinos the hard way first, before they can tame them the easy way with kibble.  Progression will now only be as fast as the player wants to go, instead of being artificially slowed down by needing 20 different egg layers sitting still for a week.  Players can also freely experiment with different dinos now since they won't need to waste a week or more getting useless dinos to build up to that one interesting one, they can just use the dino eggs they already have.

It needs planning, which was why those people tame dinos they won't use because of the eggs and achievements.

Problem is that there was planning needed before, and now there isn't... So those who couldn't plan before are now going to ADD to those who tamed everything, thus making what I said the point.

Having 7 different dinos on one kibble oversimplifies it, and makes it pandering to a certain group of players... Players who couldn't actually play the game, plan out what they were doing, or even try and get going because 'I got real life stuff to do, I don't need to tame this' and then 'OMG How'd you get that, OMG I can't do that! WC CHANGE IT FOR ME!'

Honestly, this patch, and the rework in total, is bad. It's not thought out, it wasn't tested properly, and it ends up being a really terrible experience.

The kibble rework will increase the size of my kibble farm for sure.  I'm not sure about everyone else, but I kept a fairly small farm to make sure I had all of the imprint kibble I needed, and a few spare eggs in case I wanted to tame something.  Now I feel like I need hundreds of eggs and kibble for imprints and taming because 1 kibble is used for so many creatures.  

Look at the Superior kibble tree now for example.  There are a lot of eggs in there that I don't have.  I believe I had a grand total of 76 eggs available to make superior kibble last night.  Well, that's not enough.  Now I have to go out and tame, breed, or un-pod several dinos to increase my egg production back to the levels I need to maintain. 

I will make sure that my new Kibble farm has every single egg producing dino for every single tree in order to keep a large amount of kibble in stock.  Conversely, I guess you could breed 30 argys and set them out for egg production, but I don't see the difference between having 15 mated pairs of egg layers versus 30 of a single dino.  I don't think I have ever used 200 argy kibble in a day, but I can definitely see myself ripping through 200 superior kibble in a day.  I feel like the kibble rework is a wash at best, and a large step backward at worst.  I hope I am wrong, and I do want to say that I am glad the Developers are attempting to solve some of the issues with the game.

I liked the complexity of the old kibble system but if you wanted a comprehensive kibble farm you'd have over 100 dinos just for kibble. I think my farm on Rag had something like 150 dinos, usually 1 male and 4-5 females per egg, sometimes a couple more. After the rework I'll end up with 56. 1 male and 10 fems per each egg group. I don't plan on having eggers for the extra large group since the boss rexes will cover that. I'm not saying this will be the same for everyone but I think this is what the devs are going for. Whether it pans out in the long run is anyone's guess but I'm hopeful that with cryo pods and now the kibble rework we'll start seeing tame caps be lifted more often. Hopefully...

40 minutes ago, Boshek77 said:

The kibble rework will increase the size of my kibble farm for sure.  I'm not sure about everyone else, but I kept a fairly small farm to make sure I had all of the imprint kibble I needed, and a few spare eggs in case I wanted to tame something.  Now I feel like I need hundreds of eggs and kibble for imprints and taming because 1 kibble is used for so many creatures.  

Look at the Superior kibble tree now for example.  There are a lot of eggs in there that I don't have.  I believe I had a grand total of 76 eggs available to make superior kibble last night.  Well, that's not enough.  Now I have to go out and tame, breed, or un-pod several dinos to increase my egg production back to the levels I need to maintain. 

I will make sure that my new Kibble farm has every single egg producing dino for every single tree in order to keep a large amount of kibble in stock.  Conversely, I guess you could breed 30 argys and set them out for egg production, but I don't see the difference between having 15 mated pairs of egg layers versus 30 of a single dino.  I don't think I have ever used 200 argy kibble in a day, but I can definitely see myself ripping through 200 superior kibble in a day.  I feel like the kibble rework is a wash at best, and a large step backward at worst.  I hope I am wrong, and I do want to say that I am glad the Developers are attempting to solve some of the issues with the game.

That does sound a bit like overkill, especially since some dinos produce eggs faster than others.  Better option would be to try and find one dino breed from each group that lays eggs as fast as possible, then just keep that breed around.  For instance, stegos lay a ton of eggs, while Pachyrhinos lay eggs slowly.  You really shouldn't have a need to really up your egg production either, unless you were waiting for this update to hit so you could go on a taming spree.  If you play as you have been, only minor adjustments will be necessary for kibble production such as what dino breeds you keep, and how big your greenhouse needs to be.

I don't think a taming "spree" would be necessary, but if you wanted to tame 3 dinos from the same category, you need all of the same type of kibble, whereas before you would need a few from each dino.  In my mind this means I need more egg production than before.  Where I had 1 female and 1 male for a lot of eggs, I will now need many many more.  Like I said, I had a small kibble farm and it worked very well for me, but I feel like I will need more mass production now.  Of course this is day 2, so the reality may be much different than what I "feel."

Also, we tame argys and barys a lot, and in my experience Stegos and Pachyrhinos lay eggs at a similar rate.  Is there a source for the rate at which dinosaurs drop eggs that I am missing, or is this just personal experience?

You did bring up an excellent point about the need for increased greenhouse size as well, but I, like you, think it will be a minor adjustment.  I didn't really think about it until last night though, so I was kind of screwed on Citronal.  Luckily I had a bunch of Focal Chili already made.    

I guess my point is this: I had thousands of kibble that has now been rendered useless for imprinting (If I am wrong about that, please let me know, I would love to use it) and to get back to the levels of kibble I am comfortable with, I will need to ramp up production.  This may be a short term issue, who knows, but I will say that I am not a fan as it stands right now.  

3 minutes ago, Boshek77 said:

I don't think a taming "spree" would be necessary, but if you wanted to tame 3 dinos from the same category, you need all of the same type of kibble, whereas before you would need a few from each dino.  In my mind this means I need more egg production than before.  Where I had 1 female and 1 male for a lot of eggs, I will now need many many more.  Like I said, I had a small kibble farm and it worked very well for me, but I feel like I will need more mass production now.  Of course this is day 2, so the reality may be much different than what I "feel."

Also, we tame argys and barys a lot, and in my experience Stegos and Pachyrhinos lay eggs at a similar rate.  Is there a source for the rate at which dinosaurs drop eggs that I am missing, or is this just personal experience?

You did bring up an excellent point about the need for increased greenhouse size as well, but I, like you, think it will be a minor adjustment.  I didn't really think about it until last night though, so I was kind of screwed on Citronal.  Luckily I had a bunch of Focal Chili already made.    

I guess my point is this: I had thousands of kibble that has now been rendered useless for imprinting (If I am wrong about that, please let me know, I would love to use it) and to get back to the levels of kibble I am comfortable with, I will need to ramp up production.  This may be a short term issue, who knows, but I will say that I am not a fan as it stands right now.  

I read somewhere that high tier kibble functions on lower tier dinos, haven't tested that yet though (I will this weekend though).  Unless they changed the quantity of kibble needed, you shouldn't need to massively increase your farms to maintain your kibble supplies, as you'll still need the same total amount, just of a different type (eg. if you needed 30 kibble for argies, and 20 kibble for bary's and you tame 5 of each a day, you still need 250 kibble total regardless of what type it is).

My comment on stego and pachyrhino egg rates is also completely personal observation.  I can't get pachyrhinos to lay eggs for the life of me, yet i'm drowning in stego eggs.  I wish there was something that listed the egg laying rates for every dino so we could choose our new egg layers based on that.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

And it's not just about the eggs... The requirements of soups for these kibbles is messed.

And where's the kibble for the equus?

19 hours ago, TheBlastMage said:

The logic behind this change is now to tame low level creatures before taming a higher level one.  Also, many of the tiers have easy to tame dinos in them which can produce kibble for the dino you actually want.  The old system had virtually no logic behind it, some progression was to be had, sure.  But why do stegos tame argies?  why do argies then tame spinos?  In the same vein, why are scorpions, which are super easy to tame and worthless, needed for Rexs, which are hard to tame and highly valuable?  This new system just says, "Tame a weak dino to get kibble, then you can tame the strongest of its kind!"

The rest is just bugs, those will get fixed eventually (but should've been tested for and fixed =/ )

then why did they go with this instead of just moving what tamed what around. this is really just a punch to the gut to most unofficals as the ones i frequented had two tribes that where known for their kibble farms and anyone who wanted to kibble tame a dino just had to ask for kibble and that made it so people didnt have to tame more than they needed and most didnt as a result.

48 minutes ago, OtterlyRidiculous said:

then why did they go with this instead of just moving what tamed what around. this is really just a punch to the gut to most unofficals as the ones i frequented had two tribes that where known for their kibble farms and anyone who wanted to kibble tame a dino just had to ask for kibble and that made it so people didnt have to tame more than they needed and most didnt as a result.

Now you can set up a kibble farm with just 5 species, 6 if you want golden eggs (and then you can use regular hesperornis eggs for simple according to Dododex?)  any kibble the farms already had made pre update will automatically be ranked for whatever tier it falls in so it's not really a punch in the guts is it? they'll already have the tames so it's just business as usual.

There are a few balancing issues for me but nothing major, I would like to see ovis spawns increased on the island as mutton will be of more value now for getting started on the superior & exceptional tiers, maybe put giga eggs in with extraordinary? apart from that I can see a fairly easy pathway next time I start fresh, just needs a different approach instead of going out and taming a bunch of dodos and dilos just to get a ptera, anky & doed.

1 hour ago, OtterlyRidiculous said:

. this is really just a punch to the gut to most unofficals as the ones i frequented had two tribes that where known for their kibble farms and anyone who wanted to kibble tame a dino just had to ask for kibble and that made it so people didnt have to tame more than they needed and most didnt as a result.

As an unofficial player I am glad for this change, I look forward to taking my lightning wyvern to ~50% of my kibble barn, shall save a few frames. Haven't sat down yet to decide what I am keeping yet. Might even be able to make the barn smaller. 

1 hour ago, OtterlyRidiculous said:

Because the existing system was horribly inefficient.  Now you only need 1 kibble type to tame most dinos in the game (the best kibble tames lower tier dinos too), so now Every egg is useful.  In the old system, if you wanted a Yuty, you would need Kentro kibble, but Kentros take an hour to tame even at low levels without compy kibble, forcing people to spend weeks at a time following the tree, waiting for eggs at each step (hundreds of them btw, you need 10+ females at each step), before FINALLY getting to the dino you wanted.  Meanwhile other useful dinos had stupidly easy kibble (aka. Rex's with scorpion kibble) which meant you could skip 90% of the game just by taming scorpions to get your max level rex's.

In this system, your folks with their kibble farms are still highly useful, as i'm sure no one else on the server has the ability to pump out hundreds of eggs at each tier like they can, and the need for lower tier for imprints keeps those kibbles useful.  People still will not need to tame more than they need, in fact it means fewer tames overall will be needed and other resources like sap and honey will have their values skyrocket due to them being needed for higher tier kibble.  I'm really glad that the value is being moved away from eggs, which are boring to collect, and being sent to things which require more planning than just claiming huge plots of land for tames to sit in.

lastly, any kibble that currently exists, has been changed to be the same as the tier of kibble that egg would normally be, so raptors are Simple kibble, dodo's are Basic, Rex's are exceptional, etc.  There's no need to toss old kibble, and it flows nicely into the new system, all that needs to change is your own knowledge about what eats what.

Archived