Stacksize downgrade loses everything for server

oOFrost36Oo

Hopefully you read this before changing downgrading stack sizes lowering everything your server had to that stack size losing them everything they had over that stack. I changed my stack size for my cluster today from 100.00 to 10.0 thinking it would help at the shop and for easier breakdowns, but instead lost the cluster players everything above their new stack size. For example, 10k element stacks are now 1k in a single stack. It would of made sense if ark devs would of made it break down to a bunch of 1k stacks but instead, you lose it. Today is going to be along day for me and my admins refunding the whole 4 map cluster. Hope this helps someone out there, learn from my mistake please. oOfrost36Oo Owner/Admin

1 hour ago, oOFrost36Oo said:

Hopefully you read this before changing downgrading stack sizes lowering everything your server had to that stack size losing them everything they had over that stack. I changed my stack size for my cluster today from 100.00 to 10.0 thinking it would help at the shop and for easier breakdowns, but instead lost the cluster players everything above their new stack size. For example, 10k element stacks are now 1k in a single stack. It would of made sense if ark devs would of made it break down to a bunch of 1k stacks but instead, you lose it. Today is going to be along day for me and my admins refunding the whole 4 map cluster. Hope this helps someone out there, learn from my mistake please. oOfrost36Oo Owner/Admin

Yep. I know that feeling.

Obviously, I don't know the code base, but it feels like a very easy fix could be not to clamp existing stacks, only new ones... I.e. if you go from a stack size of 100 to a stack size of 10, all stacks with more than 10 items will remain unchanged until you move them, at which point they are moved to the new inventory in stacks of 10.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:56 PM, Zahlea said:

Obviously, I don't know the code base, but it feels like a very easy fix could be not to clamp existing stacks, only new ones... I.e. if you go from a stack size of 100 to a stack size of 10, all stacks with more than 10 items will remain unchanged until you move them, at which point they are moved to the new inventory in stacks of 10.

As a software engineer, I see all kinds of potential bugs and exploits with that approach.

Clamping everything to the new stack size is much simpler and less likely to cause problems.

I"m not sure why the OP would think anything else would happen.

I also test settings first on my cluster, and make a backup, so I can do an easy roll-back.

18 hours ago, CCRogerWilco said:

As a software engineer, I see all kinds of potential bugs and exploits with that approach.

Clamping everything to the new stack size is much simpler and less likely to cause problems.

I also test settings first on my cluster, and make a backup, so I can do an easy roll-back.

I, too, am a software engineer so I'd be very interested in hearing what potential bugs and exploits you see.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, CCRogerWilco said:

How do I make a backup?

Archived