Is the RTX 2080 BSOD issue not getting fixed?

Armello

It is unclear to me where this problem resides (i.e. where will it be fixed), is it an ARK issue or an nVidia issue?

There are, obviously, entries in these (and other) ARK related forums but that doesn't make it something ARK can fix.

The nVidia release notes list under Open Issues, Windows 10:

 [ARK Survival]: Multiple errors and then blue-screen crash may occur when playing the game. [2453173]

This leads me to believe that it may be an nVidia problem. The question then becomes, where is the best place to "raise awareness" at nVidia? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 10:33 PM, bsmorgan said:

It is unclear to me where this problem resides (i.e. where will it be fixed), is it an ARK issue or an nVidia issue?

Not sure, but I'm leaning towards Ark as apparently the Extinction map doesn't cause crashes. The crashes are related to the shaders they use on some maps. If you force shader model 4 using the -sm4 parameter, you don't crash. 

6 hours ago, BigFatBoy said:

Are other RTX 20xx series cards affected by this bug? My fiancee uses RTX 2070 and have few freezes of Ark per day. On the other hand I haven't had any freeze at all with my 1080Ti.

All RTX cards are affected. My EVGA RTX 2070 XC freezes within minutes. I'm using the -sm4 parameter at the moment to prevent the freezes/crashes, but Ark looks ugly lol

13 hours ago, BigFatBoy said:

Are other RTX 20xx series cards affected by this bug? My fiancee uses RTX 2070 and have few freezes of Ark per day. On the other hand I haven't had any freeze at all with my 1080Ti.

Definitely, I have an Aorus RTX 2060 Xtreme and my game crashes constantly, sometimes just straight closes but mostly I get a D3D lost error. I just got the card about a week ago to start playing Ark again after 8 months away. It's frustrating because I can hardly play. 

I delved into this with my Microsoft rep and yes, this is an issue specifically with Windows 10. Not sure if nVidia can fix it with a driver update because it works flawlessly on Vista and 7, and even 8.1, but 10 is being updated in ways in which it is causing issues with the 20 series. I hope nVidia can fix it because Microsoft doesn't seem to be interested in fixing 10. They're about to release an update which WILL cause BSODs for many anti-cheats, such as BE or EAC. Just search the web for "Windows 10 green screen of death anti-cheat". Testers have a GSOD to identify them from stable users, who get a BSOD. The B/GSOD crash due to anti-cheats has been around for months and they haven't fixed it. My advice, if you do not want things to get worse, is to kill Windows Update if you run 10, until they address these issues.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:37 AM, Be4st said:

All RTX cards are affected. My EVGA RTX 2070 XC freezes within minutes. I'm using the -sm4 parameter at the moment to prevent the freezes/crashes, but Ark looks ugly lol

Please try the following.
It works against freezes.

open regedit
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ GraphicsDrivers]

Add the following new.

"TdrDelay" = dword: 0000000a
"TdrDebugMode" = dword: 00000001
"TdrLevel" = dword: 00000000

All the RTX cards are having this issue. I tested with my own RTX 2080Ti and a friend's RTX 2070. The RTX cards either crashed or got me a BSOD within minutes of gameplay. It happened on other titles as well, not just Ark. I tried various drivers in an attempt to fix it, trying various launch options, but no avail. I went back to my GTX 1080Ti, and as long as that's still relevant, I'll be happy. The best thing I've figured is to not use the RTX enabled drivers (meaning use version 399.xx or lower) and use a GTX 10xx series card or older. So far this is the only solution to have a playable ARK.

Just got banned on the Nvidia Forum for:

.. March 2019 ... ARK still not fixed (http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/419.67/419.67-win10-crd-release-notes.pdf p.14) - talking about the 419.67 driver (according to patch-notes).

What happened with: 

"There were a couple of bugs that were causing the game to crash. One was fixed with driver 417.71. The other is more complicated and our engineers still need a little more time with it. It likely won't be fixed in time for the next driver which is slated for later this month but I'll make sure once we have a fix we try to release it as soon as possible." (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1098097/geforce-drivers/official-418-91-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-2-13-19-/8/)

which was posted by Manuel back in February 2019 ...

I mean ARK is not playable since SEPTEMBER 2018 (https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/369060-rtx-2080-bsod-in-ark/&)

Can we please get some kind of information, IF the bug will ever be fixed? A simple "yes" or "no" would be enough, so I could buy another Card without remorse, when the game will be fixed about 3 years later ...

Edit: I mean APEX got a fix within a MONTH ... Shadow of the Tomb Raider AND ARK are still pending. One for more than half a year. I wouldn't be so salty, if the RTX wasn't especially advertised FOR ARK ...

Edit 1.5: Just found this link (https://devtrackers.gg/ark/p/ec784a83-is-the-rtx-2080-bsod-issue-not-getting-fixed) which says "The guys at Nvidia are already working on this." from five (5) days ago. 

What is the "real" state of a possible fix? More than half a year of waiting time should be enough to give some kind of information, if a fix is "possible" or not ...

TL;DR: NVidia talked about a fix in february 2019, after (nearly) no comment since September 2018. Now in March 2019 there is again ... no word about ark.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 5:22 PM, MikeyUK said:

I fixed this issue by finding a solution trawling through soooo many forums.  Sorry I cant remember where I found it.

Simply set this setting to Low in ARK:

TERRAIN SHADOWS: LOW

Not had any crashes on my RTX 2080ti since I did it :)

ark_settings.jpg

Yeah, this worked for me too. But If I use DX10 I get 100fps 4k Max settings. Using DX11 max settings with terrain low I get 30-40 fps lol I lose over 50 FPS using DX11. Got to be something more wrong here. 

• 5 months later...
54 minutes ago, LadiDog1950 said:

It's Sept 29, 2019 and Still not posted or known fixes for the RTS 2080 card and ARK.  EVERY damn time I log into ARK with modded servers, CRASH............Any ideas?

You have the latest drivers?

I wonder if this fix worked for some. I cannot test it due to having GTX 1080 and GTX 1060 six gig.

open regedit
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ GraphicsDrivers]

Add the following new.

"TdrDelay" = dword: 0000000a
"TdrDebugMode" = dword: 00000001
"TdrLevel" = dword: 00000000

Posted from earlier in this thread.

People with Nvidia GPUs (especially RTX cards) we all have been experiencing many crashes and hard crashes where it would lock your PC up. Finally Nvidia fixed this issue a short while back and I have been passing this out to people that I know have an RTX card. 
but this drive has a fix specifically for Ark
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4789?linkId=100000005609593

so far except the normal Ark issues this driver has been solid, hope this helps 

Archived