How do people tame early game?

Chow

Pretty sure there’s no practical way to get prime meat super early game. But as soon as you can make a bola and darts you can tame a seagull to get easy prime.

I can’t speak for everyone, but my early game tames were Dilos and Trikes. Easy tames.  Narc arrow both. Then Ptera time. Then etc, etc.

I was silly and waited to tame much of anything until I had tranq arrows. But lots of people simply punch, or slingshot low level stuff to get early tames.

Most of your early tames will be low level. The only high level tame you need to get early game is an Argentavis.  

The best way to get prime early game is to trap and kill alpha raptors. If you're new to trapping alphas I suggest you place a stone 2x2 with only doorframes as walls with ramps from the top of the doorframes to the ground on one side. To trap the alpha raptor you simply get it to chase you up the ramp and fall into the trap. Once it's in the trap, you can shoot it with a crossbow. 

The most important thing to do when using prime meat to tame is to let the Dino starve after you knock it out. This way they'll eat all the prime at once when you put it in their inventory. 

Also, the prime meat will last 4x longer in a dinos inventory, so It's important to transfer all the prime into a Dino's inventory when transporting to the unconscious tame. Just make sure there is raw meat in your dino's inventory, or it may eat your prime. 

A decent argent early on is a game changer. The argent will be able to kill alpha raptors for easy prime and you'll be able to pick up important dinos to tame. I wouldn't worry about getting high levels early on until you have the kibble. 

Once u hv a bow and tranqs u can tame a raptor really easily.  U can kill carnos with a good raptor to get prime.  They can kill argents too for prime.  I recommend building a thatch house and then upgrade it to wood.  By the time ur done ull hav lvled up enough to go after a raptor.  The alpha raptor is mega risky for a newbie.  B4 u evn go for a raptor u can go for a parasaur.  Parasaur is great for beginners because of its threat alert ability and its ability to scare things away.  Its also a good pack mule and runs a decent speed, its also good at berry farming early on.

• 3 weeks later...

When really early in the game, I find it best not to bother a whole lot with taming. Start with a flier, ptera to get yourself around if need be. But grind those levels till you can make tranqs and a bow... Its always best to go for the higher levels, but you can get a low level just to get you around. I find your first real tame should be a herbi.. something easy that can get berries (trike, para, iguana) thats going to help when it comes to getting narcos and making narcotics. Then you can work on your carnis. Look into building traps.. that'll help significantly with all tames.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived