Best caving Dino?

SuperSaiyanBeezlebufo

Hi, title says all. I’m trying to run the caves (the hard ones, like swamp and artifact of the strong caves) and I want to know the best creatures to like specifically tame and breed for caving. I use to run the caves on my lvl 1000 raptor that I got thru god console, but now I wanna do it legit lol. Thanks.

depends which cave i used a frog in the swamp cave an arthrapleura for the ice cave the lava cave i used a terror bird. my favorited was the frog in the swamp cave the bugs got stuck so my low lvl frog made easy work of them it was something like lvl 30 it died the second time when bugs made it so that i stayed mid jump so just a warning

All around cave mount, most people will say wolf.  I personally like the saber.  Both of those can go in all caves except the small ice cave (Skylord Artifact).  As far as specific mounts, the chalicotherium is really boss for the cave just East of volcano mountain.  He can throw rocks and kill the arthropleura before they can damage your armor.  Giganitopithicus is really good in the gas/redwood cave (Artifact of the Immune).  Equip him with a flak helmet.  They have a high torpor rating and good knock back.  The yeti cave, or big ice cave a wolf or saber is best.  I like saber best because you can equip with an ascendant saddle and do not have to force feed meat as much.  Hope this helps.

If you are able to resurrect a high level wolf from the ice cave do it. You can then breed it with a level 300 wild wolf.  The result is a wolf that will melt through anything wild on the island other than wild giga or titanosaur. I got mine the dollar with the armor for a little added protection. I can run any cave multiple times without worrying about healing. 

4 hours ago, SuperSaiyanBeezlebufo said:

Hi, title says all. I’m trying to run the caves (the hard ones, like swamp and artifact of the strong caves) and I want to know the best creatures to like specifically tame and breed for caving. I use to run the caves on my lvl 1000 raptor that I got thru god console, but now I wanna do it legit lol. Thanks.

I would definitely say direwolf. I have used direwolfs for almost every cave, and they are the best. The only exceptions are the central cave, where is use the megalosaurus, the lava cave, where I run it w/out loot, and the sky lord cave, where I just take grappling hooks and a sword. 

1 hour ago, Silverandblack702 said:

If your just running & not killing frog is dope, but if you plan on clearing have a leet wolf

my frog can handle everything in a cave spiders are the easiest cause they come in swarms frogs do mad splash damage megalosaurus just melt away the only thing i have problems with are arthrapluera and even those don’t stand much of a chance with proper breeding frogs can be one of the most op tames in the game

I mainly use imprinted megalosaurus at night, but also an imprinted baryonyx for the hunter swamp and central caves. For the lava cave, I just run it naked and the skylord, I have built bridges to cross the falls. I haven’t done the hard ice cave yet, but I’ll use an arthro, as they are not targeted by cave creatures.

11 hours ago, MateoModolell said:

I mainly use imprinted megalosaurus at night, but also an imprinted baryonyx for the hunter swamp and central caves. For the lava cave, I just run it naked and the skylord, I have built bridges to cross the falls. I haven’t done the hard ice cave yet, but I’ll use an arthro, as they are not targeted by cave creatures.

I’m not 100% sure, but I think devs patched arthro according to some angry posts on the big report and support section. Again, not 100% sure. 

I might go for wolf or saber I guess, but if arthro still works, imma cheese the hard ones with it :)

Most players on my server use cave wolves because they are cheap and easy to obtain at high levels.

Personally, I prefer sabers for every cave except Skylord. I have a line of sabers that currently top out at over lvl 300 (med difficulty), and I can easily solo the yeti cave in a fight-through rather than a speed run like people do with wolves. I do have a 240 armor saber saddle bp and equip them with gold collars. I commonly have to use my cats to assist other players using max lvl wolves in the cave because their wolves take heavy damage.

I've demonstrated many times that a lvl 300 saber is a far better cave mount than a lvl 450 wolf. But you have to selectively breed them up instead of just killing one and reviving it like they do with wolves. Selective breeding takes a great deal of time, which is why no one does it.

3 hours ago, TheHarlequin77 said:

Most players on my server use cave wolves because they are cheap and easy to obtain at high levels.

Personally, I prefer sabers for every cave except Skylord. I have a line of sabers that currently top out at over lvl 300 (med difficulty), and I can easily solo the yeti cave in a fight-through rather than a speed run like people do with wolves. I do have a 240 armor saber saddle bp and equip them with gold collars. I commonly have to use my cats to assist other players using max lvl wolves in the cave because their wolves take heavy damage.

I've demonstrated many times that a lvl 300 saber is a far better cave mount than a lvl 450 wolf. But you have to selectively breed them up instead of just killing one and reviving it like they do with wolves. Selective breeding takes a great deal of time, which is why no one does it.

I am doing same thing, but on hard server.  I rode with a player who had a  mutated 2000 damage, gold chained wolf in the yeti cave and he had to give up half way through.  I went on to complete it riding my 8k health saber with ascendant saddle.  Somewhere the ARK mobile community has just settled on direwolves as being the best cave ride.  I have ridden "high dollar" wolves and I find myself having to force feed them 3 times as much as my saber.  

@TheHarlequin77Have you gotten a lot of mutations?  colors?

@Silverandblack702 this was not a jacked up wolf.  The last 2 servers I have played are on the hard difficulty and there is no need to get wolves from the cave.  And the wolf that was lost in the Yeti Cave had some old high damage stat before they were nerfed a long time ago.  I realize that players have their preferences and I respect that.  It just seems like there is a bias for wolves over sabers that I do not agree with.

If the game didn’t allow for ice cave wolves to be resurrected then I’d prefer sabers. I used to exclusively use sabers prior to my knowledge of cave wolves. The fact of the matter is that if you can resurrect a wolf from the ice cave and mate it with a wild lvl 300 wolf there will be nothing better to cave with. The resulting wolf will be much higher level than anything on the island. If you put a collar that adds some armor then all the better. You can mate a saber all you want but the starting point for the wolves is simply so much higher. You will always be able to out breed a saber with a cave wolf. If you want to run with a saber then by all means do it, but the wolf will simply always do it better as long as you can pull from the ice cave. 

Archived