What is a good pc for ARK

mEgstad

I have 8GB RAM, i5-7600 3.50GHz CPU, GTX 1060 6GB, and run ARK on a 1TB harddrive.

With these specs I can have ARK graphics & settings on high with good fps.

..but the loading time into the game itself (especially aberration) is quite ridiculous so I suggest getting a SSD just for ARK alone if you want it to be perfectly smooth.  

My custom built PC cost me about $1500 AUD / $1100 USD (around $2000 AUD / $1500 USD total including everything else like screen, keyboard, etc) and I consider it a mid-range gaming PC.

11 hours ago, kusty974 said:

The most important parts are the video card and the cpu... but yet, it all depends on what graphics quality, the screen size/resolution you are targeting.

For the rest : a minimum of 8gb ram and a good ssd would be a solid base.

I definitely wouldn't go below 12 Ram. 16 is standard at this point and it's only $50 more.

16 hours ago, Sphere said:

I have the Strix GTX 1060 Six Gig in my server, and it can handle Aberration just fine. Maybe it's the RAM and SSD that helps.

If you're getting acceptable fps out of a 1060 im thinking it must be my poopty cpu. I have 16gb ram and an ssd so no issues there. And my poor performance is on a server hosted elsewhere so my whole cpu is available.

3 hours ago, Oldster said:

I definitely wouldn't go below 12 Ram. 16 is standard at this point and it's only $50 more.

The game itself consume about 6Gb of ram (on ultra), since win10 fit well in the available space that left, it's defenitly playable with 8Go.

16Gb would be more confortable, and as you said it's the current standart for gaming rig, but it's not an absolute necessity in this case.

6 hours ago, Oldster said:

If you're getting acceptable fps out of a 1060 im thinking it must be my poopty cpu. I have 16gb ram and an ssd so no issues there. And my poor performance is on a server hosted elsewhere so my whole cpu is available.

What CPU do you have? That GTX 1060 six gig has been used so far with a Intel Core i7 7700 and a AMD TR4 Threadripper 1950X with the scheduler CorePrio.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:40 PM, Demerus said:

probably something like this:

1280px-IBM_Blue_Gene_P_supercomputer.jpg

The Blue Gene/P is actually quite old and one of few machines that can't run ARK. We used to have one at work.

One of our latest systems, probably would though. It's got 200 GTX 1080 Ti's.

http://api.uva.nl/content/news/2018/01/most-powerful-dutch-supercomputer-boosts-new-radio-telescope.html?1551442146917

2 hours ago, CCRogerWilco said:

The Blue Gene/P is actually quite old and one of few machines that can't run ARK. We used to have one at work.

One of our latest systems, probably would though. It's got 200 GTX 1080 Ti's.

http://api.uva.nl/content/news/2018/01/most-powerful-dutch-supercomputer-boosts-new-radio-telescope.html?1551442146917

This guy computes

Archived