Best cave Dino

Feniris

I find that when entering the cave the game will load the assets for the cave or something cause there is a huge lag spike right at the entrance. But once you are in it runs really smooth, Id say more smooth that on the surface for me at least. Also the cryopoded argy was great but keep in mind you cant ride it in a cave, it just kinda hovered around attacking what I whistled it to.

Personally I liked the Megaloceros (Male) as its horns prevents the acid spit from the Arthropluera. Though it sucks when there is a need to cross or go into water, hence Baryonyx would be the most well rounded (plus it looks really awesome). 

I also used a very obscene Carno on the Swamp Cave, it worked pretty well for me but its very situational and it does not enter all caves.

These would be my recommendations, bats are a real bane so be careful around them, lost a few proud mounts to them at first if I was careless. 

28 minutes ago, Piffguru said:

I find that when entering the cave the game will load the assets for the cave or something cause there is a huge lag spike right at the entrance. But once you are in it runs really smooth, Id say more smooth that on the surface for me at least. Also the cryopoded argy was great but keep in mind you cant ride it in a cave, it just kinda hovered around attacking what I whistled it to.

yeah it lags out for you and only you when you enter a cave because thats client-side not server-side. and it runs smoother because it "deletes" all of the physical attributes of the prior cell aka the "overworld" well call it. but keeps all old and new data logged so it can load in real time once you leave the cave. and not being able to fly in a cave without setting it that way is just plain old bs

Terror Birds for the Lava Cave.  The gaps are a weird platform re-basing area that frequently will rob you of all momentum and drop you into the lava.  Terror Birds prevent the cave trolling you like this because you can Flappy-Bird over the lava gaps.  Also, the higher-up neck seems to help kill the Onycs easily.

In general, the best cave mounts are Thyla and Bary. Once you tamed a Bary, you can do almost every cave, or at least the easier ones. I wouldnt recommend it for the cave on Carno Island, because there are some passages where you have to jump. And sometimes it cant make a jump. Its still possible, but its not very easy, if you dont know where to jump.

Thats why a Thyla is much better, because it jumps more vertical, instead of horizontal like the sabre or the Bary. This and the climbing ability makes it one of the best mounts for caves (as long as it fits in)

20 hours ago, Feniris said:

I was wondering about using the cryo pods in the cave?! How have you found the jumping in the caves as the lag on our server is awful!

I'm on the centre and run the east lava cave a lot (looking for a decent rex saddle BP....) 

The lag terrifies me as dropping into lava is near enough insta-death for me and my mount. I take a stack of berries in one of my quick slots and nom a few, especially near jumps, corners, lava etc. If I don't eat, I stop. Not lost a dino since starting this! 

14 minutes ago, Feniris said:

Thank you all for your advice! I’ve played the game on and off for years and never realized how amazing the community was! I saw a video of someone using a Megatherium? Anyone thoughts on that? 

The Megatherium is great for caves with bugs and large openings,  Extinction desert cave, or scorched earth caves but  there are some parts where using a cryopod will be necessary.  That bug buff they get makes them fun for those and the chitin you can get is awesome too.

3 minutes ago, RenobandStit said:

The Megatherium is great for caves with bugs and large openings,  Extinction desert cave, or scorched earth caves but  there are some parts where using a cryopod will be necessary.  That bug buff they get makes them fun for those and the chitin you can get is awesome too.

Any recommendations on stats for a Megatherium? 

55 minutes ago, Feniris said:

Any recommendations on stats for a Megatherium? 

Any mega will (mostly) do fine. Their bug buff is insane. Breed one for the imprint bonus and youre golden. 

I level megas in the swamp cave, even a fresh birth with 0 levels applied absolutley destroys the cave (higher level dinos) my megas are only like.. 5k hp 300 melee birth. Nothing remotely great.

• 3 months later...

Archived