A New DLC

AlphaDogYT

So we have been left off in a cliffhanger from Extinction. I have so many questions. Will we have a new DLC? If we saw that Rockwell escapes in the cutscene, what will happen now? Will this have to do with the Explorer Notes? If we are getting a new DLC, what will it be called? Will Rockwell stay evil Rockwell forever? Or will he be revived from his current state? Where will it take place?

I have a small idea, though. Since all the ARKs have returned to Earth, it might have to do with them. If we got rid of the element, then the corrupted creatures are no more, and we will hopefully not have a desolate wasteland to roam. We might have a land spotted with ARK remnants. But what about the Obelisks? They have been a key in the function of the game ARK. Even Extinction had them, the Earth. Wait... this might lead to us on another planet! Oh, so many ideas. Do you have any?

I am also quite curious as to were we go next with the lore AND now the plot, super excited! We have a PLOT!

Ark has always been so passive with its narrative and the ending on Extinction was a welcome change for me, I dare say necessary even.

Also, the way it ended... It managed to be in harmony with everything that has been established so far, it feels connected as if it was always meant to go there (and not tacked on because of Ark's success). The story feels natural and this is a positive thing here. 

I am also happy that a villain seems to have been established, and just not any villain, someone we got to look into the dossiers and his thought process. Rockwell might be the antagonist we need right now.

The future for Ark feels positive for me personally. I just take Ark as a co-op with friends on a Private server (this is were my experience is at its best with Ark, having tried all others), but I also do not shy away from playing it in Single Player too, the game feels more sustainable with the new Tek additions and base management.

Ark is for me, the ultimate survival game and at this point one of the best games with dinosaurs out there.

If I had to be picky on something the only thing that feels like its missing (based on one of Arks main competitor) is human NPC helpers, the bases look so lively on that game with NPCs working forges, guarding bases, carpenter's bench and such, an identical system would be sufficient and legit for Ark. Updated human models would be a nice plus too (I find humans in Ark quite horrible, lol, and animations very stiff compared to the awesome animals - especially those that had TLC passes).

I am curious as to were Ark is heading, I should be in for the ride on a next expansion or even another season pass with 3 expansions again, Extinction is to me at least, one of the best experiences out there.

As for were it could go next? I think other planets and space exploration is quite possible within the lore and Tek that has been established, however, I do think that the next stage will still be on Earth as it becomes repopulated with all kinds of lifeforms (old and new). Because the series has already been on so many environments its hard to define the next landmass, we had a sea, desert, volcanic (thru Scorched Earth and later Ragnarok), Snow, Red Woods, tropical, Swamp, alien (Aberration), and Futuristic/desolate (Extinction). I honestly don`t know what other biomes are left since we touched the main ones already, though we still could have maps that are more Ice Age inspired or for those that like sea and have been asking for archipelago with a large body of water, either of which are not direct asks of myself, I rather have the devs surprise me as its usually very positive, they seem to know where its best to take the series and its worked so far. 

I believe that the next expansion will be something like a battle on Earth against Rockwell and whatever army he can cook up, I also am not sure but maybe they MAY implement some of the technology from Atlas, as Atlas does some kind of "map stitching" to make a larger game, while still offering players like myself the option to go private.

Cheers!   

One thing I really want to see in ARK are hybrids, so you can combine some dinos with each other, like a Rex with the agility of an Raptor. Something like that. And as little easter egg, a combination of a Rex and a Dodo (but with lower stats, of course).

I sure know, that you cant combine every dino with every other dino, but some combinations would be really cool. 

And since every creature is coming back to earth, this would be the opportunity to have every creature in one map. With a normal map like The island, a desert and a cave system with the red/ purple biome and a green biome. And a little ocean, of course.

2 hours ago, Martellus said:

I am also quite curious as to were we go next with the lore AND now the plot, super excited! We have a PLOT!

Ark has always been so passive with its narrative and the ending on Extinction was a welcome change for me, I dare say necessary even.

Also, the way it ended... It managed to be in harmony with everything that has been established so far, it feels connected as if it was always meant to go there (and not tacked on because of Ark's success). The story feels natural and this is a positive thing here. 

I am also happy that a villain seems to have been established, and just not any villain, someone we got to look into the dossiers and his thought process. Rockwell might be the antagonist we need right now.

The future for Ark feels positive for me personally. I just take Ark as a co-op with friends on a Private server (this is were my experience is at its best with Ark, having tried all others), but I also do not shy away from playing it in Single Player too, the game feels more sustainable with the new Tek additions and base management.

Ark is for me, the ultimate survival game and at this point one of the best games with dinosaurs out there.

If I had to be picky on something the only thing that feels like its missing (based on one of Arks main competitor) is human NPC helpers, the bases look so lively on that game with NPCs working forges, guarding bases, carpenter's bench and such, an identical system would be sufficient and legit for Ark. Updated human models would be a nice plus too (I find humans in Ark quite horrible, lol, and animations very stiff compared to the awesome animals - especially those that had TLC passes).

I am curious as to were Ark is heading, I should be in for the ride on a next expansion or even another season pass with 3 expansions again, Extinction is to me at least, one of the best experiences out there.

As for were it could go next? I think other planets and space exploration is quite possible within the lore and Tek that has been established, however, I do think that the next stage will still be on Earth as it becomes repopulated with all kinds of lifeforms (old and new). Because the series has already been on so many environments its hard to define the next landmass, we had a sea, desert, volcanic (thru Scorched Earth and later Ragnarok), Snow, Red Woods, tropical, Swamp, alien (Aberration), and Futuristic/desolate (Extinction). I honestly don`t know what other biomes are left since we touched the main ones already, though we still could have maps that are more Ice Age inspired or for those that like sea and have been asking for archipelago with a large body of water, either of which are not direct asks of myself, I rather have the devs surprise me as its usually very positive, they seem to know where its best to take the series and its worked so far. 

I believe that the next expansion will be something like a battle on Earth against Rockwell and whatever army he can cook up, I also am not sure but maybe they MAY implement some of the technology from Atlas, as Atlas does some kind of "map stitching" to make a larger game, while still offering players like myself the option to go private.

Cheers!   

So, Martellus, the Human NPC helpers part of your essay popped out at me. As part of my idea-theory, I think that we —the survivors— would meet survivors from the Earth, from before the ARK project. They might be hostile, or could be friendly. But in my wildest dreams, it could directly be related to the Explorer Notes. We could meet the writers of the Notes!

Guys, Extinction had all of the ARK servers return back to Earth, with their now new purpose to heal the planet.

The only way forward from here is ARK 2 set into the future. That kind of system will probably be based around the system Atlas is trying to use. Atlas will probably be the base for that development going forward. So once Atlas has proceeded past a certain point, get ready for them to start rolling out ARK 2.

2 hours ago, Sphere said:

Guys, Extinction had all of the ARK servers return back to Earth, with their now new purpose to heal the planet.

The only way forward from here is ARK 2 set into the future. That kind of system will probably be based around the system Atlas is trying to use. Atlas will probably be the base for that development going forward. So once Atlas has proceeded past a certain point, get ready for them to start rolling out ARK 2.

@Sphere you bring a valid point and possibility to this discussion, but then I do have personal issues with this scenario:

1.) One Early Access experience for Ark is enough for me, enjoyed each second but now I seek a more rounded and feature complete product.

2.) I am also not grinding back up from zero, life is too short, so I will stick to any expansions they make but I am not so keen in migrating to another title all together.

3.) Atlas, while done by a sister studio proves they have improved very little regarding the foundation issues and that a product with similar issues will likely be released. I have a no confidence as of now, I do wish Atlas makes a comeback and be a good game for those that enjoy pirate theme and the likes, I really do as it shows potential.

4.) Contradicting item 3.), in all fairness each expansion feels superior to the content that preceded it with the Wildcard label. I am not saying The Island is bad compared to Scorched Earth for example, The Island has a lot more content, but I find Scorched Earth lighter (probably as there is less going on), Aberration rethinks mobility and map design and Extinction is pretty awesome all around.     

Whichever path it goes, I wish Ark and Wildcard much success, I really love the game they made, I enjoy chatting with you all and it has been a very positive experience on the balance sheet.

Cheers!

I want the next DLC to be a continuation of the lore. So what does that mean? We must know where we are at lore wise then.

Firstly, the arks have landed on earth. So setting up an Atlas like grid with each server being surrounded by extinction like maps (procedural generated?) and then another island/center/rag/SE/AB maps would be awesome. And then going forward with a special AB grid where rockwell boss is.

And yes I would love for them to show off some snow glacer like grids as well. Each network (Pve, pvp, conquest, small tribe, and unofficial) should have their own grid system.

6 hours ago, Balteraxe said:

Yeah. Im kinda waiting for the 'sequel' on extinction aswell.

With rumors about Arat Prime on the other side of the planet. Perhaps an ice/water themed idea? Since it's on the other side of the planet, with no sun?

In the final cutscene Helena comments on the sun rising, and if you pay attention you can see it move, which implies that the earth has regained it’s daily rotation thanks to the reseed protocol, so the “dark side” won’t be dark anymore by the time our characters get there. It could still have unique biomes and creatures resulting from centuries of darkness, but the map itself wouldn’t be dark. 

12 hours ago, Royalstar said:

In the final cutscene Helena comments on the sun rising, and if you pay attention you can see it move, which implies that the earth has regained it’s daily rotation thanks to the reseed protocol, so the “dark side” won’t be dark anymore by the time our characters get there. It could still have unique biomes and creatures resulting from centuries of darkness, but the map itself wouldn’t be dark. 

Ohw. I did not notice that. That could lead to some interesting biomes.

18 hours ago, Royalstar said:

I actually want to see this. When i first saw the final cutscene of Aberration i was really hoping to see a map with this mordor style, like darkness everywhere and lightning storms, just an apocalyptic touch. I was really disappointed when i first played Extinction and everything was illuminated. So i really hope there is going to be such a map.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/25/2019 at 1:48 PM, AlphaDogYT said:

So, Martellus, the Human NPC helpers part of your essay popped out at me. As part of my idea-theory, I think that we —the survivors— would meet survivors from the Earth, from before the ARK project. They might be hostile, or could be friendly. But in my wildest dreams, it could directly be related to the Explorer Notes. We could meet the writers of the Notes!

The problem with that is you can probably only meet the minor charaters because the main ones are dead im pretty sure

Archived