Is dino's auto gathering worth it?

MoonlitPhoenix

Base building has been quite painstaking, the majority of my time is being spent on gathering resources. Honestly, it's not like I dislike doing it, it's just that I have little time to spend gaming and all I seem to do is gather and little progress is made.  If I was to fence off an area and allow a few dinos to wander around, would they gather enough resources to make it worthwhile? I would have some carnivorous bodyguards follow the gathers around to protect them from any potential predators in case of an attack. 

Do most people just suck it up and spend the tedious hours that it takes to collect the resources or are there alternative ways which make it all a bit easier?

There isn't really any auto harvesting, doed's will harvest any rocks near them and therizino's will gather wood (probably some thatch as well) and fibre but that's about all I can think of, you could put them on wander and they'd harvest until they hit 80% of their weight and that would be it, with a power levelled therizino that would take about 10 seconds or so in a forested area and if you've fenced it off then there's a good chance you've blocked the re-spawns, they won't empty themselves so you still have to ride them back to wherever you're building to dump the mats and you have no control where they wander so they could theoretically walk about all day avoiding every rock/tree in the area

If you're on official and don't have the time then look for a boosted un-official server, SP just up your gathering rate a bit

Wandering / unridden dinos only gather 50% of their total weight, for a Doed this works well. The kicker is they wont do anything unless rendered.

I believe a beaver can wander to collect wood aswell.. with the weight reduction could be better. If you have access to it you will need a dino leash.. once you derender the tames they could walk right out of the gates.

I tested this on Extinction, I had an area with 3 lamps and a good amount of rocks in an area, set a doed with a dino leash on wander, near my base, after a full day of breeding and picking up gacha stuff I had maybe 200 dust and 600 stone. He hit one lamppost and a few rocks over about 6 hours. 

Ive tried bringing a crew of doeds to a metal mountain, same idea more doed. It worked -okay-, one fell off the cliff and got eaten by Allos but got a lot more stone than before. Just go and harvest it. If there is metal rocks anywhere near (or youve got an argy) fly to metal rocks and hit those for a lot more per swing, only real way to reduce the time (outsidd having movespeed ankys / doeds / mammoth or beaver) 

On 2/23/2019 at 1:42 PM, MoonlitPhoenix said:

If I was to fence off an area and allow a few dinos to wander around, would they gather enough resources to make it worthwhile?

Yes, it's worth it.

In general, you want to find an area that's pretty flat. If you do it on the side of a hill, for example, the harvesters will constantly wander downhill and cluster up against the fence and then some of them will glitch through the fence.

If you have to build your harvesting pen in an area that is not flat, you can wooden ramps to the inside of your wall. You don't want to let the ramps touch the ground or the animals will just walk up them which defeats the purpose, you want the bottom of the ramps to be at about eye level for the animals in your pen.

Castorides are better for wood, because they get the weight multiplier when carrying wood but if you have to you can use therizino's for wood. Just be aware that therizino's are much more likely to glitch through walls because they have a higher movement speed than castorides.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Category:Creatures_that_gather_autonomously

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Use Equus to off-load all the resources into, and you'll have the weight bonus for stone of the equus, and having a number of them, you'll have a base built in no time without even harvesting anything yourself.

I tried this with a doed once, but I didn't think the rewards were that great. 

I just pick up the doed with my higher weight Argy, fly round the rocks close to my base, unload into the Argy when he stops and carry on. On the weekend (2x) I can fill a vault in a short space of time.

I then take my mammoth out, dumping berries as I go. In one quarter of an evening, I'm good for these resource types. 

@MoonlitPhoenix just how "pharaonic" is your base?

I mean I think get you, I build very extensive enclosures and buildings to support all operations at all times. My worst project is my water container made of metal, it is still not finished and its been sitting there halfway done for months, just because I stopped grinding metal every day... I do recognize I was overly ambitious. It will be awesome once completed however, mark my words.

Because of de-rendering and effectively stop any "auto gathering" I chose to drill thru it myself. I have a very competent Doed and mammoth, I have more materials than I really need for anything regarding Stone or below. Metal is the main issue for me on The Island map, I am pretty sure I am not the only one. So I chose which parts of my base I would go for metal (outer walls mostly to counter alphas).

My Doed focused on the usual two: Melee and weight, I don't recall how much weight mine has, but its decent, as for melee it was already good at 300% and has only gotten better since I pushed passed 400%.

As for my Mammoth, I had a lousy one and didn't want to tame another one (mostly because I could not take it back to the taming pen). This was a huge mistake on my part as it slowed my progress for several weeks until it got killed... on an accident, involving me and my pike... I then had no choice but to get another one, and it was at least 3-4 times better. Never again I had issues with wood and it only takes a few minutes to recover any stock drains. Obviously you can also invest on the superior Castor (but be subjected to pouncing raptors).

For thatch is Megaloceros, I just clear half the forest in no time and its done. With poucing Raptors and other critters this one exposes me on occasion and it can be a pain, but at 500% melee it gathers all I need very quickly. 

Metal is the one I tried several things and never really felt optimized, so I downgraded some of my more ambitious projects that involved metal or just kept it at stone grade.  

So what I do is, based on my location I have a clear area with few to no raptors with trees. I start with my Megaloceros and clear that, then I take my doed and clear the stones which are going to trouble my mammoth, and finally I use the mammoth to clear the deep forest. it works fast and well enough. 

Archived