Lost tames?

Heebyjeebies

What happens when you lose a tamed dino who is following you? Any dino who is following me, even the agile little ones like dilos, always run into something and get left behind accidentally. Even in areas that aren't particularly dense and are relatively open, they always find a way to get stuck, unless I literally have them on the lowest following distance which is absurd - I have them on medium. If there is an object in the direct path between me and the dino, they'll just nonstop run into it, never going around or through it, effectively stuck. What happens to them when they get left behind? Will they respawn somewhere or did I really just lose that tame forever unless I happen to someday run into them again? Maybe they teleport to me after a certain distance or time period? 

Also curious what happens to tamed dinos that are following you when you die. Again - do you lose them, or will they respawn somewhere? 

I am on xbox one, non dedicated local server

2 hours ago, Heebyjeebies said:

What happens when you lose a tamed dino who is following you? Any dino who is following me, even the agile little ones like dilos, always run into something and get left behind accidentally. Even in areas that aren't particularly dense and are relatively open, they always find a way to get stuck, unless I literally have them on the lowest following distance which is absurd - I have them on medium. If there is an object in the direct path between me and the dino, they'll just nonstop run into it, never going around or through it, effectively stuck. What happens to them when they get left behind? Will they respawn somewhere or did I really just lose that tame forever unless I happen to someday run into them again? Maybe they teleport to me after a certain distance or time period? 

Also curious what happens to tamed dinos that are following you when you die. Again - do you lose them, or will they respawn somewhere? 

I am on xbox one, non dedicated local server

Dinos do not teleport, so they will stay where they were stuck. There are however some mechanics that might affect their behaviour.

First off, there is something called render glitching. When you have a dino on follow that is stuck in a structure or a rock, and you go far away from it so that they both are out of render distance (and invisible), the ai will sometimes forget there is an obstacle and pass through. From my experience this is much easier to do with buildings or resources like rocks and trees, but for actual map terrain like a cliff it doesnt work. This is useful if for example your dino is trapped in someone else's pen. Note that this does not work if another player is keeping the area rendered and loaded: Everyone has to leave the vicinity.

Also, some dinos when they get stuck on a rock will leap really high in the air to attempt to reach you. This can lead to pretty weird instances of a giganotosaurus jumping twice its height in the air while ramping off a rock to reach you.

You can try setting targeting distance to high so they try a little longer to get to you and don't give up and stand idle as soon as you leave render range.

If you have them set on neutral they will fight back if attacked. If on passive they are mere punching bags/ free meals to aggressive wild Dinos until you rescue them.

Archived