Win10 PC Dedicated for Xbox ?

I understand there isn't an easy solution for the Xbox cluster issue in transferring items/characters/dinos with a PC dedicated server.  However, is there a way to just copy what we put into our transfer file and then have it be available on another map manually through the game files on the PC?  

We're using one PC with multiple people on xbox connecting to it.  We're able to transfer/save files for backup purposes, just wondering how this would work for the items we upload into the "cloud."  Currently we can go to another map and they aren't there.  Is there a way to manually make that available?  

Originally the idea was the start on one map and go all the way through, but since you can't do that we're just trying to see if there's any workaround at all.  Thanks for any insight that can be provided.

Exactly.  And the way I understand it, there isn't a way to cluster our dedi server unless you use a 3rd party app or something like that.  I just use a laptop but I know how to backup my files and save.  

I checked recently and was able to move items.  It'd be great to be able to move characters.  The entire point of the game is to move from map to map, and if you add crossplay without the ability to do this, it kind of defeats the purpose.  

There is a way to move files around to transfer your character then upload your items and dinos to take stuff over. It would be so much easier if a upload character button existed but wildcard is a bit dense at times. Here is the method I found.

Anyways I found a solution to my problem to anyone that wants to transfer characters on Windows 10 dedicated servers. First off before you try this load up the map you want to move to on the dedicated server this creates a save folder in the new map.

1. If you look in the folder where Windows 10 installs ARK ("User name"/appdata/local/packages/studiowildcard(string of number)/localstate/saved/maps)

2. In the maps folder in the map you are playing on are a set of files with a .arkprofile file extension. These are your character saves for the map. You can open them with notepad and look around to find out which file belongs to who.

3. When you find the file of the characters you want copy it and then go to the new map folder (the save folder of the map you want to go to) and paste it in there and Voila!

Your character is now in the new map and better yet you have a copy in the other ark as well that can send dinos back and forth to each other and Imprint buffs work across both characters (I tested it on a Raptor). Now it is important to note I only took the .arkprofile file over and didn't mess with the tribe profile files. When you join the server you will be at the spawn screen just click to spawn where you want and you will re spawn as your character.

If you want to maintain the illusion of moving characters over you can delete the .arkprofile and the .profilebak in the old map save folder and if you want to go back or update your original just copy and paste to the folders and your characters should be updated.

Hope this helps anyone else.

You miight have some tribe issues if you go back so be wary as in your wont be in your tribe on the old map when you get back from the new map

3 hours ago, HyperionOmega said:

There is a way to move files around to transfer your character then upload your items and dinos to take stuff over. It would be so much easier if a upload character button existed but wildcard is a bit dense at times. Here is the method I found.

Anyways I found a solution to my problem to anyone that wants to transfer characters on Windows 10 dedicated servers. First off before you try this load up the map you want to move to on the dedicated server this creates a save folder in the new map.

1. If you look in the folder where Windows 10 installs ARK ("User name"/appdata/local/packages/studiowildcard(string of number)/localstate/saved/maps)

2. In the maps folder in the map you are playing on are a set of files with a .arkprofile file extension. These are your character saves for the map. You can open them with notepad and look around to find out which file belongs to who.

3. When you find the file of the characters you want copy it and then go to the new map folder (the save folder of the map you want to go to) and paste it in there and Voila!

Your character is now in the new map and better yet you have a copy in the other ark as well that can send dinos back and forth to each other and Imprint buffs work across both characters (I tested it on a Raptor). Now it is important to note I only took the .arkprofile file over and didn't mess with the tribe profile files. When you join the server you will be at the spawn screen just click to spawn where you want and you will re spawn as your character.

If you want to maintain the illusion of moving characters over you can delete the .arkprofile and the .profilebak in the old map save folder and if you want to go back or update your original just copy and paste to the folders and your characters should be updated.

Hope this helps anyone else.

You miight have some tribe issues if you go back so be wary as in your wont be in your tribe on the old map when you get back from the new map

Nice!  I will try this later and confirm.  Thank you!!

It works, I know a server running so called clusters this way. The guy wrote a discord bot that does the copy and paste via a command someone enters into discord chat which the bot then executes.  They them host multiple servers on different VMs and link the save folders. It requires 3rd party help and isn't perfect but the best you can do, be so much simpler if we had the same setup as nitrado, with command line startup scripts so we can enter cluster ids, etc. I mean it is the same game, both hosting crossplay servers, I don't get why the store version is missing basic features, not to me mention not showing up on the server list immediately even though nitrado ones do.

8 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

It works, I know a server running so called clusters this way. The guy wrote a discord bot that does the copy and paste via a command someone enters into discord chat which the bot then executes.  They them host multiple servers on different VMs and link the save folders. It requires 3rd party help and isn't perfect but the best you can do, be so much simpler if we had the same setup as nitrado, with command line startup scripts so we can enter cluster ids, etc. I mean it is the same game, both hosting crossplay servers, I don't get why the store version is missing basic features, not to me mention not showing up on the server list immediately even though nitrado ones do.

Agreed the amount of stuff a nitrado server can do for a 3rd party game mind you that its own dedicated servers cant makes me think nitrado payed them a butt load of money to purposefully under-develop their in game server options. I started a topic about this stuff in general discussions if any body wants to to go chime in there. hopefully we could get some attention on this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived