Need Guidance for underwater exploring

Dhruvlol

I unlocked fabricator and have it on my base for a long time and i m barely running it with trilobite oil so i gotcha go underwater.. but i m scared of underwater due to that creepy battle music/predaters being faster/running out of oxygen/creatures coming from every directions i have a baronyx but still doubt its gonna help.. i also tried taming ichthy but those bastards run away with my food halfway taming so i need some guidance what to do here i m lvl 64 on the island single player

Get a good Sarco, this is the key. They are fast enough, strong enough and you don't need a water base for them. But careful, they don't have highest weight. Try to avoid most of fights. Taming most of underwater animals is possible with Sarco (you can shoot while mounted, this makes everything easier).

Also, try to get a good Dunkleo, it is so tanky and can mine oil from oil rocks.

If you just want oil, go to the northwest of the island in the snow biome. There are some oil rocks. 

But a Bary is a good mount for underwater exploring, as it can stun small to medium creatures. With this tail swing you can tame a basilo. 

When approaching a basilo, it is surrounded by mantas. With the stun attack from the Bary you can stun and kill all the mantas and tame a basilo safely. But when you feed it,  blood is coming out of its mouth and thi could attract some creatures, like a Meg or other mantas. But as soon as you have a Basilo, you are safe from pretty much everything. You still get attacked, but you are safe to stuns and the tuso grab. And it also produces oil in its inventory.

11 hours ago, BlueberryJackal said:

If you just want oil, go to the northwest of the island in the snow biome. There are some oil rocks. 

But a Bary is a good mount for underwater exploring, as it can stun small to medium creatures. With this tail swing you can tame a basilo. 

When approaching a basilo, it is surrounded by mantas. With the stun attack from the Bary you can stun and kill all the mantas and tame a basilo safely. But when you feed it,  blood is coming out of its mouth and thi could attract some creatures, like a Meg or other mantas. But as soon as you have a Basilo, you are safe from pretty much everything. You still get attacked, but you are safe to stuns and the tuso grab. And it also produces oil in its inventory.

Where can i find this basilo? The wiki doesnt help much.. 

There are 3 down by herb. 2 along the south sea. 3 in the SW corner of the map. 2 in the bay area by the easy water cave. 2 in the NW corner 2 along the north sea. 1 in the NE corner. 0 along east sea. They can be up high or down at the bottom.

Your bary should be able to kill alpha sharks. Just be careful in that almost everything in the sea will assist an alpha shark and you can get body blocked quickly.

18 hours ago, Dhruvlol said:

I unlocked fabricator and have it on my base for a long time and i m barely running it with trilobite oil so i gotcha go underwater..

On a side note, when i was in need for some quick oil early on, i took my anky to farm the oil nodes close to the shores. Try it sometime, you'll be suprised from the amount he can get.

15 hours ago, Snipsnip said:

I second the oil rocks in the north west. Great place to gather oil on foot 

I agree. This area also has a good number of metal nodes (which are a bit hard to see as they are covered in snow), and even some obsidian.

You do need fur armor (at the least) to survive the cold, and an otter shoulder pet and/or fria curry curry also help, as does boosting your own fortitude as you level up.

In the same vein, there is a small cove just north of the transition from tropics to snow on the northwest side of the Island. This cove has a bunch of silica pearl nodes, located at very shallow depths and easy to harvest. The water is very cold, so again, fur armor is a must, and fria curry and otter help, as does Lazarus chowder (so you don't have to surface for air as often).

While resource gathering in this area, I always ride an argentavis (leveled up in carry weight) set to follow+neutral, both to carry the haul of resources, and to help fend off any attackers.

The ocean does have other resources, deep sea loot crates, and things to explore. But at least you don't have to depend on it for oil or silica pearls.

5 minutes ago, TargetOne said:

I agree. This area also has a good number of metal nodes (which are a bit hard to see as they are covered in snow), and even some obsidian.

You do need fur armor (at the least) to survive the cold, and an otter shoulder pet and/or fria curry curry also help, as does boosting your own fortitude as you level up.

In the same vein, there is a small cove just north of the transition from tropics to snow on the northwest side of the Island. This cove has a bunch of silica pearl nodes, located at very shallow depths and easy to harvest. The water is very cold, so again, fur armor is a must, and fria curry and otter help, as does Lazarus chowder (so you don't have to surface for air as often).

While resource gathering in this area, I always ride an argentavis (leveled up in carry weight) set to follow+neutral, both to carry the haul of resources, and to help fend off any attackers.

The ocean does have other resources, deep sea loot crates, and things to explore. But at least you don't have to depend on it for oil or silica pearls.

We had a raft with a stone building on top complete with fire place when we did this and kept to the shore line on the way up. A whole evening was dedicated to getting oil and pearls. 

8 hours ago, Dhruvlol said:

Where can i find this basilo? The wiki doesnt help much.. 

They spawn around herbivore island, close to the surface. You can spot the easily, because of the mantas. But if you need oil, you can just kill them. They give a lot. But you need to be careful, as your creature can get encumbered very quickly.

2 hours ago, BlueberryJackal said:

They spawn around herbivore island, close to the surface. You can spot the easily, because of the mantas. But if you need oil, you can just kill them. They give a lot. But you need to be careful, as your creature can get encumbered very quickly.

I wanna tame one.. The manta are not the issue.. The issue is megalodon.. I can't even use raft because of that stupid leedsichthys

2 hours ago, Dhruvlol said:

I wanna tame one.. The manta are not the issue.. The issue is megalodon.. I can't even use raft because of that stupid leedsichthys

U said u have a barry? U can stun megas so its easy, you can even stun alpha megas like @Nuggie said above. Try to find a high level, en use kibble if possible. I think basilo is to easy to tame, for the power and usefullness it has 

12 hours ago, TargetOne said:

Btw fur armour doesnt work in water ;) 

Ok so i made a bary saddle and some lazarus chowder and went underwater.. there i killed 1 megalodon and tamed another.. i felt incredibly confident and op.. now i wanted to explore that cave near herbivore island and went underwater near a pile of giant rocks which i thought was a cave.. then small sea scorpion thingies came and started biting me.. i got rid of half of them but then-Ah thats just a diplodocus... wait what? diplodocus so deep underwater?? by the time i realised that.. a plesio was rushing towards me with full speed and then it somehow knocked me off my barry.. next thing i know it was chowing on my barry which suddenly became unconscious.. i panicked and was forced to use the god command because i realised it was too scary for me to even go back to retrieve my stuff and somehow escaped to south haven.. R.I.P. Barry.. you will always be remembered. I wanna go exploring again with megalodon but there are 2 things i wanna get clear about:

1)At what speed can megalodon outrun plesio? 

2)can plesio knock me off my megalodon? 

Plesios cannot knock you off, but those small sea scorpions can inflict torpor to you and Jellyfish will rip you off your mount as well.  For your Bary, try to get a few hatched from eggs so you have backup if you have a bad day down in the water, then try to use it to tame a decent leveled Basilo.  The bary can stun-lock the mantas and sharks and the basilo has huge hp regen so hitting it a few times won't affect it.  Once everything is cleared out, just keep feeding it raw mutton, maybe keep some extra sheep nearby if necessary.  Use Lazarus chowder or several scuba tanks to keep from drowning but keep your distance from the basilo in case dinos come to eat you so you don't accidently hit your tame.

The basilo serves two main purposes:  first, it generates oil over time (though it spoils so use it right away), second, it is the most resilient underwater mount in the game, with massive HP regen, decent damage, and immunity to jellyfish and squid dismounts.  Once you have this mount, the whole ocean is yours to explore, plus if you have enough of them, you will never need to harvest oil again as each one will hold up to 100 oil before you need to collect it.  The oil also lasts long enough that you can store it away to stock-pile for larger building projects while harvesting from the basilos once every hour or so.

1 hour ago, TheBlastMage said:

Plesios cannot knock you off, but those small sea scorpions can inflict torpor to you and Jellyfish will rip you off your mount as well.  For your Bary, try to get a few hatched from eggs so you have backup if you have a bad day down in the water, then try to use it to tame a decent leveled Basilo.  The bary can stun-lock the mantas and sharks and the basilo has huge hp regen so hitting it a few times won't affect it.  Once everything is cleared out, just keep feeding it raw mutton, maybe keep some extra sheep nearby if necessary.  Use Lazarus chowder or several scuba tanks to keep from drowning but keep your distance from the basilo in case dinos come to eat you so you don't accidently hit your tame.

The basilo serves two main purposes:  first, it generates oil over time (though it spoils so use it right away), second, it is the most resilient underwater mount in the game, with massive HP regen, decent damage, and immunity to jellyfish and squid dismounts.  Once you have this mount, the whole ocean is yours to explore, plus if you have enough of them, you will never need to harvest oil again as each one will hold up to 100 oil before you need to collect it.  The oil also lasts long enough that you can store it away to stock-pile for larger building projects while harvesting from the basilos once every hour or so.

By seeing your message i concluded that i got knocked off my barry because he fell asleep.. Those sea scorp have much insane torpor??!! 

I tried finding a basilo by tailing mantas and going where large amount of mantas occur like most people said but couldn't find any.. Are they usually deep underwater? 

3 hours ago, Dhruvlol said:

By seeing your message i concluded that i got knocked off my barry because he fell asleep.. Those sea scorp have much insane torpor??!! 

I tried finding a basilo by tailing mantas and going where large amount of mantas occur like most people said but couldn't find any.. Are they usually deep underwater? 

In my experience basilos swim mostly around the surface, or just above damage level (deep part). Just keep cirkeling the island, you will find one. PS: dont go to the bottom with your barry ?

3 hours ago, Dhruvlol said:

I'm not sure if they do enough to put a bary to sleep, but just one sting will put a survivor to sleep definitely.  Basilos spawn only kinda rarely, best to kill off any sharks and mantas you see in hopes that one will spawn after you've run up and down the coast, but they will never spawn super deep down.  Generally they're only a few feet below the surface since if they go too far they start taking damage.

Archived