What are Your Best Memories in Ark, and What does Ark Mean to You?

LadyCrescent

Good day,

So, I’ve recently been dealing with the tragedy of losing my beloved cat on the 28th, so I haven’t been very active here, but I’ve been seeking solace in Ark. And in the slew of negative threads around here I wanted to ask for something more positive - what are your best memories in Ark, and what does Ark mean to you?

For me, it’s hard to choose a best overall memory, but the top contenders would be:

- Taming my first dimorphodon. After seeing one on the beach and finding them the cutest thing I’ve ever seen, I got into my acquaintance’s non-dedicated the next day with one goal: getting one for myself.

The three of us were very green, with almost no clue and very limited resources. My acquaintance had only a few precious tranq arrows, so when I finally found one as the sun was setting on a beach excursion, I had no recourse than to get into a very long argument with the dimorphodon with a slingshot, that lasted literally the whole night, until Kate took pity on me and used one of our precious tranq arrows to finally knock him out.

And he was crucial to me finding a place for myself in Ark. When I researched his utility, a path forward in Ark was revealed to me and I moved to my own non-dedicated to pursue dimorphodon handling as my means of negotiating the harsh Ark.

- The first hunt. After I’d gotten thirty birds, they sat around for a long time gathering passive influence before I was finally comfortable taking them out on their first major hunt. From my castle on Grand Peak, we set out for the snow, and I felt so powerful! Just laying waste to absolutely everything we encountered with my bird army.

- My own personal miracle in Ark. I built Castle Valkyrie on top of the mountain on Grand Peak long before the redwoods were even a thought in WildCard’s mind. Then the redwoods were announced along with the announcement that everything that existed there would be destroyed.

I was heartbroken, but scrambled to make a new palace out by red obelisk. And once the patch had gone through, I got on an eagle to survey the new redwoods and gain closure that the palace I’d worked so hard on was gone.

But I was met with a miracle when I got there. The top of Grand Peak was untouched, and my palace was still 100% intact, so I got to go home.

- My first wyvern. I got insanely lucky with my first wyvern. I wanted fire, and I got a fire egg over level 100, and she hatched female. I was completely enamored. I painted her a uniform dino color 32 - the closest thing to gold - named her Ramoth after a gold queen dragon in the Dragonriders of Pern novels, and could barely be torn away from her side to care for her.

And when she was grown, my first flight was pure magic...finally realizing a dream I had since I was a little girl. I was a dragon rider.

There are so many more, too.

In short, what Ark means to me is a sanctuary. It’s where I can go to for peace and happiness. When my life is particularly hard, it’s where I go where everything is exactly how it should be.

It’s the miracle that has markedly helped with the depression and anxiety I’ve struggled with since childhood when nothing else has helped.

And I’m forever grateful to have it. Three platforms. Thousands of hours. And it’s still my Sanctuary.

What about you? What are your best memories, and what has Ark meant to you?

Ark has been one of my favorite games for awhile. I find it has just the right amount of flexibility, you can grind your face off or just hang out and go for a stroll through the wilds with your favorite creatures seamlessly. It has its faults as do all games, ive only paid around 50$ total for over 5000 hours of play. Cant beat that.

As to my favorite memory.. it had to be back in the early days of officials when I played with a group of real life friends. We were farming at the base, all 7 of us. We were ferrying stone (had to cut by hand) in groups, 4 people on stone detail 2 on wood and the other guy as usual... was flying around on our only ptera messing about the map. We were all in voice chat, buddy was like "Hey a rex, only level 5 im gonna kill it" All of a sudden : " Messingaroundguy was killed by a Gigantosaurus" 

Edit: accidently hit a notification mid type.. had to retype it all then it happened again when Crescent liked it haha.. the short of it. We spent 3h trying to lure it, 2h trying to knock it out when we finally did.. messing around guy messed it up on his turn to watch torp. (We didnt know about the torp drop on this guy. It was early alpha) it woke up ate all of us, our only fliers parked around it and we all lost our gear minus one.

I had to log, was watching a movie with my girlfriend and my roomate comes running out 'We tamed it!!!" It was the first giga on the server, we couldnt even use it. Back then everyonr was terrified of the enrage so we kept it in a pen away from our base. Noone could make a saddle for about 2 or 3 months later.. the game was a grind then xD 

My best memories so far were, when I started ARK and i wanted to tame a Parasaur. It was a really low level, level 16 or something like that. And when i first tamed one, i was killed by a carno. And i knew, i would never get back to my Parasaur. So I respawned somewhere else and tamed a Dilo, a Moschops and a Parasaur. Which were killed again, by a Theri. So i respawned a second time on the west side of the island and i tamed a Parasaur, again, and again it was killed by a Dilo. The urge for the blue drop was too strong. But when i respawned a forth time, i found an Iguanodon Lvl 21, or something like that and it became my new favourite dino for ages.

God, i miss Usain Bolt. Unfortunately he was a victim of unexpected console restart, like everything else i had tamed at that moment. 

My second best memory was when i wanted to tame one of the big guys and tried to tame a Yuty. After i died several times, i found a lv 46 Yuty. Although it killed me several times, i succeded. I still remember the stupid benny hill situation, when it started to run away. When it was finally down it fell into the water and I was pretty upset, because i thought it was going to drown, but luckily it survived. From that moment on, Fluffy and I were best buddies. But unfortunately, Fluffy, his girlfriend, Usain Bolt and all the other great dinos i had tamed, were a victim of the console restart.

RIP Fluffy, Yutah, Mompfred (carno), Eddie the eagle (Argy), Usain Bolt, Rudolf (Deer), Harley Quinn (Raptor)

1 hour ago, BlueberryJackal said:

God, i miss Usain Bolt. Unfortunately he was a victim of unexpected console restart, like everything else i had tamed at that moment. 

But unfortunately, Fluffy, his girlfriend, Usain Bolt and all the other great dinos i had tamed, were a victim of the console restart.

RIP Fluffy, Yutah, Mompfred (carno), Eddie the eagle (Argy), Usain Bolt, Rudolf (Deer), Harley Quinn (Raptor)

I’m sorry to hear that. ?

The many fold issues on console with accidental wipes and loss of save data is specifically why I’m mainly on PC now. I was very, very lucky and never lost anything to that, but the fear got to be too much for me.

Initially it was the accidental wipe at the launch of Scorched Earth that made me turn off automatic updates on Xbox and brought me here to lurk on big reports for days before committing to an update.

And even though I have quite an establishment on PS4 too, well, most people spent $100~ ish on the game and season pass and all max, but Ark cost me a couple grand to invest into a proper gaming computer because after all the mistakes and mishaps literally all I wanted was to be able to save my game.

My best memories were my first memories. No matter what you do, you cannot recreate those first moments when your first picked up the game. I haven’t played a game since that left me in so much awe. I do miss the beginning days which are now almost a distant memory in the legacy days. However with that said, it was only until I started hosting that I made some incredible friends and a community, and with that, I’m in a good place. I get a lot of enjoyment out of creating an experience that others can get involved in. Ark has a great community, you just need to hunt for it.

Think I am similair to Salty. The best memories were the early days and the first experiences, you cant beat that. Logging in for the first time, seeing the implant in your arm, seeing all the obelisks and learning how to play the game. Experiencing the PvE community I was in, experiencing all the new conent being added, experiencing each new DLC for the first time, experiencing the various events. The one event that does stand out was my first Fear Evolved event chasing the dodorex around.

Saying that, since leaving the official servers and joining an unofficial server I have learned so much more about the game. I can play at rates that allow me to experience the whole game on a great server with a great community. For example I never really did breed on official I mean the rates are just craxy but I can on unofficial and I can breed multiple generations in a very short space of time. 

What does Ark mean to me ? Its a great game with so much to do. There always seems to be more to do. For me its a great game to come home to after work, after being run of my feet and constantly interacting with people all day, and I can switch off and relax from the outside world. Its a great game for escapism. I can farm resources and enjoy the environment if I really want to switch off or I can be more adventurous if I have enough brain power after work lol. Its helped me through hard times and continues to do so. Lets just say screw the job market.

Hello again,

Yes for sure taming my first tame. Rex level120 just below the vulcano. It gave me protection killed 8 survivors hatched many eggs and later it flew due to a glitch out into the sea. I was so angry it survived raids and all ark dangers to go under by a manta. My dad wrote to wildcard and they fixed the problem right away. Then i felt good again and was truly into ark. Ark cured my fears for snakes and other horrible creatures. I played pve and other gamemodes but have always played single player in parallel with official. Now i can not stop playing single player. Still to this day I can not look at the new rex. Stiff tail and just a sad copy of the old happy tail swinging T-Rex.

/Ari

10 minutes ago, ArianaGaming said:

Still to this day I can not look at the new rex. Stiff tail and just a sad copy of the old happy tail swinging T-Rex.

/Ari

You know, I’m not too fond of the rex TLC either. I just went on a taming spree on Extinction, and for me, the thing that bothers me is the muted color palette.

My new albino, Poltergeist, in particular, is pretty sad for me. I’ve had a soft spot for albinos since way back, since my first carno and my first rex were albinos...and sadly, I lost them both.

My rex was named Spectre, and he was the most vivid, pure white with a jet black stripe. Absolutely stunning.

My taming spree also yielded a dark red like one of the other three I had in the early days of Xbox EA.  But their colors are so muddy and dingy they just kind of depress me remembering my first rexes.

Vivian (the red) still mans her post on the highest point of the single path up Grand Peak on my Xbox Island game, but I haven’t been on Xbox since the TLC patches.

But I still miss Spectre very badly...and Poltergeist just seems like a sad Shadow compared to his memory. ?

Killing beach bobs.

With my my 10th tame, a Carno named Charles, a 135 tame that took 3 hours to tame. I remember him even to this day, and sometimes I build monument honouring his memory.

RIP Charles, lvl 210 Carnotaurus disappeared right after the war of Cuba on The Southern Bob Islands. Here's a photo I took, the last time I saw him before disappearing.

IMG-20180504-WA0001.jpg

What i forgot to mention. ARK is a game with many extinct or fantasy creatures and dinos. And since i was a little boy, dinosaurs fascinated me. I watched many movies from the "The Land before time" series. And many years later, with the addition of ARK and all its dinosaurs, dinosaurs fascinated me, again. 

Another hobby I had since i was little, was drawing. And with ARK, I started to "invent" new dinosaurs. First they werent that great, but i got better with the time and really enjoy drawing them. And with the "fake Theropods and another creatures" i got into contact with a girl from my new class and we became friends.

Thanks WildCard, for making my life a little bit brighter.

I remember when my friend first got ark it was when the gigs was released and my friend wanted to find the mighty demon of the island. we searched for hours on end then decided to join a server and look. ten of us where playing looking when my friend comes charging down the mountain screaming run run run we stood our ground to fight now I wish we ran.

Most of my better memories come from the earlier days of Ark - pre server transfers / flier nerf / HUD change. 

A couple that come to mind would be the first time we saw a Titanosaur. Me and a buddy were set up on West shore just below the swamp and had made a boat to sail round to snowy to get oil. The Titan was on herb and my pal called it out when passing. It seemed fairly docile so my mate decided to shoot his bow at it. "F**K, F**K, GO, GO. GO, GO AARRGGHH!!" We lost the boat but laughed for ages. 

Second would be our first attempt to get a Quetz. A level 20 odd spawned over the centre hills (now a redwood forest) so I grabbed the same friend as before with Archie the Argie and we took off after it. About 45 minutes later (without stopping for stamina!) we were still chasing it around the map. We were north of red ob when it finally fell unconscious - right onto a pond where it died. The whole server knew what we were up to and mocked us for it for weeks, all in good fun though! 

hehe I remember my first quest. three argents six people and a whole lot of tranqs. it took about three hour cause all but me and my pal were terrible aimers (comes from not playing pvp) it fell right into the redwoods. while we were taming my friend mind you the same one that dragged the giga down saw a red event rex max level so he went to tame it and surprise surprise it had a friend. he came running back screaming to shoot. it hit the quetzal we tamed the two rexes and had to wake up the quetzal and box it in all up probably took about 5-6 hours. we named the quetzal rex bait.

PS: I know what your thinking you tamed a first quetzal so late in ark history well I never really thought it would be a challenge and left it to those who really wanted to tame a quetz but decided to give it a go.

You know for me some of my best times I have had with a video game in the last three years is with ARK.  For me the game is a place for me to relax and forget about the world around me and just enjoy spending time with my tribe.  Some of the funnest things we have done are just to say we did it or just messing around.  One example is when one of us disconnects around the base its like a game of hide and seek because now all other tribe mates try to find that person and take off there pants before they can reconnect.  I know that's juvenile but we are all adults and just need some stupid humor to enjoy ourselves.  Other things include seeing how high we can be thrown with the crabs or knocking each other out.   We of course do the other things that the game has to offer but its someplace that we have a ball.  I am sorry for the loss of your cat,  I would be very upset to lose mine.  Keep playing ARK its the most frustrating and fun game out there.

just last week over at my friends place we were doing the forest cave on ext. my friend hid behind a rock and went quiet on chat. I was walking on foot with my goddly op shotguns fully loaded. he jumped out at me and yelled scared the s*** out of me. I shot gunned him in the face and instankill him. he had to run naked through the cave which had respawned. he learnt his lesson not to got scaring s***less someone with a shot gun.

i remember playing on a role-play pvevp prim+ server I was the third in command after the king and queen which meant i was there protector, head of building taming and army. one of our tribe mates came in with a club and whacked me out and the king and queen threw us in cages and locked us in we got our and for a few hours we were clubbing everyone to sleep as a way to pass the time.

i was playing on my single player with my younger brother only a year younger than me. I was finishing off my kingdom and castle when my brother discovered c4's. while i was finishing up he rigged the entire kingdom with c4's then as i was showing my parents the weeks of work I had done he triggered the explosion and the entire thing came down. to be specific it took an entire month of work taming crafting building and planning out and my brother ruined it in a matter of seconds. ever since then i never played split screen with anyone. i was also going to enter it into the ark building comp but nope. hehe my brother couldn't sit for a month as i gave him a whooping.

when ext first came out me and my friend were going nuts finally getting it we sat there for hours apon hours for it to be released then installed. when we finally got it on both of his Xboxes we played it finally. the first thing we done was gear up to flak went out to the wasteland to get us a gas bag. three hours trying to figure out how to tame this guy. when we finally tamed it and made the saddle i let my friend ride it. he went to high and that was the end of the very fat caterpillar we went  through abut twenty gas bags till my friend learnt the reins.

we were doing a raid on some trolls that were grieving the local cluster we played on. i had spent three days straight no sleep breeding our army of mutated dinos. When  our army of about fifty dinos was in position I gave my friends simple orders to set the gigas on the stone walls "the same friend that caused the last catastrophes, i know i don't learn but he's my best friend and i trust him"  this being his first pvp raid whistled the entire army at the walls we lost 4/5 of our army to turrets and plant. we won but since then my friend has been a soldier not a commander.

when the tlc's came out for the dinos we were so pleased. we were doing a recon mission scouting for an enemy tribe that was kidnapping people and holding them for material ransoms. my friend was given the parasuar to sonar our enemies. we were trudging through the jungle at night almost blind  when my screen border turns red. i realise we were being sniped. i ordered to retreat into thicker brush we lost half our team to the snipers. my friend said he saw them coming but ignored them as he thought they did not see us. i told him that they to had parasuar's and were sonaring us. we later attempted again we got to the jail and broke in. we brought rpg's as a quick wall breaker when escaping. my friend saw that it was metal and used a rpg he alerted the entire prison. we made it out barely. i learned he is not good at online combat or pvp.

One of my favorite memories in Ark, was being chased by my first Rex and falling into a hole made by some rocks that the rex couldn't reach me in. Then stabbing and stabbing and stabbing for what seemed like ever with a pike until it died. It was just a cool thing that I imagined over and over in my head like it happened in real life. 

Like many have said Ark to me is an escape from reality for a few hours, and now that 2 of my sons are old enough we all play together and connect. We have talks about what to do in Ark next and laugh about things that have happened to us. And if you have kids that are teenagers you will understand what it is to actually have them talking to you and not just giving you attitude. 

My favorite memory? It probably would have to be the time I used admin to summon a wild reaper king to scare my friends. They screamed so loud I thought I had broken my own mic because of it! What Ark is to me is a place where you can be yourself and mess around with your friends. Whether it is making a raft to explore new islands, or seeing how much stuff you can spawn before causing the game to break, Ark is a place to come together and just be yourself!

My favorite moment was taming my 1st Pteranodon. Before, I’d been pretty much stuck near the spawn area, too afraid to venture anywhere, but when I tamed the Ptero the whole world opened up to me. I’d never felt so confident in Ark before; I’d intentionally start poop with Rexes and Brontos just to see them waddling over towards me, only to watch me fly away at top speed. 

4 minutes ago, Royalstar said:

My favorite moment was taming my 1st Pteranodon. Before, I’d been pretty much stuck near the spawn area, too afraid to venture anywhere, but when I tamed the Ptero the whole world opened up to me. I’d never felt so confident in Ark before; I’d intentionally start poop with Rexes and Brontos just to see them waddling over towards me, only to watch me fly away at top speed. 

lol, that sounds like fun

The first time I spawned in on the Island. I was so amazed and in awe of the game, I get nostalgic just thinking about it.

My spawn point was the Footpaw in the southern islets. I made my way to that stretch of field that overlooks the swamp and the Redwoods. Built my first 6x6 thatch hut there. I went out to hunt for my first tame when I came across a big, bright red Carno. 

I didn't know about Alphas at the time, so I thought 'go big or go home.' And I went home, because the Carno killed me in one nip.

Few hours later, I was gathering resources for a smithy and forge, when I started getting the messages "Your thatch wall was destroyed by an Alpha Carno."

I raced home to find my nemesis obliterating my hut. I tried to fend him off, but again, ended up his breakfast.

That death forced me to spawn in the Western Approach, where I found a nice cliff overlooking the end of the bay. There I settled for a large part of the game.

Now, for some reason, when I get home I want to jump back into my Island game and visit my old base and the tames I haven't seen since I left for Ragnarok.

Archived