Spinosaurs have to be the dumbest carnivore ever!

Dhruvlol

I planned on getting a spino pet today in SP,made a stone pen near my base(So i could use my paracerathium to feed it),went tracing the rivers to find a spino.. 1) found one not much far away from the base, tried to make him follow me through the left river bank-went running off to the opposite river bank to fight an alpha raptor ? 2)I found one near a waterfall tried to kite him to base,halfway through this happened:???=??☠️ 3)Now third time i almost succeeded in bringing him near my house but then he lost interest in me and went after my ptero+5 dimorphodon on the opposite bank and surprisinglt enough they succeeded in pulling it off resulting in a dead spino

I hear you!  I am having the same problem.  The Spinos in my single player game seem to be too stupid to stay alive long enough for me to tame one of them!  While I was working on building my awesome taming pen, I managed to get one to agro on to my base for a while to at least keep him interested.  But they are like a spazzed rat terriers with ADHD and nothing holds their attention for long, unless it is five megalodons which he couldn't get enough of until they lured him out into the ocean and killed him.  Yesterday I did a dino wipe and was very excited that two had spawned not far from my base.  I went on a quick metal run and by the time I returned, both were already dead.

Two words: Rare Flowers

You need to let the spino literally munch you the whole way to the taming pen without flowers for them to stay attentive. With their new water buff they go FAST so deaggro easily when they have to turn or something. I usually will kill most of whats around first then lure. Pirannah aggro to them all the time, they munch his toes and it pisses em off, keep them ouy of water uf youre trying to lure one.

22 hours ago, d1nk said:

Two words: Rare Flowers

You need to let the spino literally munch you the whole way to the taming pen without flowers for them to stay attentive. With their new water buff they go FAST so deaggro easily when they have to turn or something. I usually will kill most of whats around first then lure. Pirannah aggro to them all the time, they munch his toes and it pisses em off, keep them ouy of water uf youre trying to lure one.

I thought about doing that but then i noticed that there are too many brontos and pteros around those parts and even if i could outrun them they will come to the proximity of the spino and then u know what will happen next.. 

21 hours ago, MarkMartin said:

Force tame it. You're in SP after all.

Where's the thrill in that? ?Anyways this time i nearly bought him close to my trap but an alpha raptor came from nowhere and killed him.. This time i drew it away to the oceans where it became megalodon lunch and spawned a wild spino at the same spot where the earlier one died and lead him to my trap like i intended to?I always try to keep the use of console commands to the least since they half destroyed my skyrim experience

42 minutes ago, Dhruvlol said:

Where's the thrill in that? ?Anyways this time i nearly bought him close to my trap but an alpha raptor came from nowhere and killed him.. This time i drew it away to the oceans where it became megalodon lunch and spawned a wild spino at the same spot where the earlier one died and lead him to my trap like i intended to?I always try to keep the use of console commands to the least since they half destroyed my skyrim experience

You used console commands in skyrim? I dont know if thats funny or pathetic.

Rather than trying to kite them all the way to your pen, I find it easier to build some large bear traps (half a dozen or more), place them in a grid near the base of the nearest cliff, then use a flyer to kite the spino to the bear traps. Once the spino is stuck in the traps, land at the top of the cliffs, and shoot the spino with your tranquilizer of choice until KO'd. Just have to watch out that something else doesn't attack you from behind while you're fixated on the spino.

This works just as well with rexes, carnos, theris, etc.

1 hour ago, TargetOne said:

Rather than trying to kite them all the way to your pen, I find it easier to build some large bear traps (half a dozen or more), place them in a grid near the base of the nearest cliff, then use a flyer to kite the spino to the bear traps. Once the spino is stuck in the traps, land at the top of the cliffs, and shoot the spino with your tranquilizer of choice until KO'd. Just have to watch out that something else doesn't attack you from behind while you're fixated on the spino.

This works just as well with rexes, carnos, theris, etc.

Good idea!  I will definitely try that strategy.

On 2/16/2019 at 3:31 PM, d1nk said:

You need to let the spino literally munch you the whole way to the taming pen without flowers for them to stay attentive.

This! I'm on the centre and have a pen on the plain North of the western pond. There are always Raptors and scorpions between the water and the trap that capture the spinos attention, so I fly slowly, tanking the hits on my Argie. 

When finding it difficult to bring the Dino to the pen, its sometimes worth it to bring the pen to the dino, Find a Spino, build a small structure that will help in keeping it in one spot while tanq is in progress and then finish building a small protective pen around it once its out so it can tame in peace. Takes some time preperation and resource but when with certain species you will spend a heck of a lot more time trying to get one to actually aggro you all the way to your pen, Just be ready to build a pen on the spot rather then building it and then baiting a Spino all the way to it.

23 hours ago, MarkMartin said:

You used console commands in skyrim? I dont know if thats funny or pathetic.

Neither, If you have ever played skyrim you should know better that there are certain quests with multiple choices in skyrim which give multiple rewards. . Sometimes you have to lose 1 reward to get the other and thus to get both i had to use console commands . . Especially with the Dawnguard dlc

On 2/16/2019 at 8:18 AM, Dhruvlol said:

I planned on getting a spino pet today in SP,made a stone pen near my base(So i could use my paracerathium to feed it),went tracing the rivers to find a spino.. 1) found one not much far away from the base, tried to make him follow me through the left river bank-went running off to the opposite river bank to fight an alpha raptor ? 2)I found one near a waterfall tried to kite him to base,halfway through this happened:???=??☠️ 3)Now third time i almost succeeded in bringing him near my house but then he lost interest in me and went after my ptero+5 dimorphodon on the opposite bank and surprisinglt enough they succeeded in pulling it off resulting in a dead spino

Spinos are no different from any other carnivore, they will focus on the target that is closest to them. If you are kiting one you have to make sure that you are the closest target at all times. They key to luring a carnivore into your taming trap is to make sure that that you have the path between the animal and your taming pen cleared out or you have to work on your kiting skills so that you don't lose them.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, YOSTY32 said:

Sound like a they are a pain in the duppa

But so good when you get a couple of good ones bred with a 100% imprint. 

AOE of their attack is great. The number of times I've died from forgetting to put on armour before a Rex stomp, then accidentally hitting a Dimophrodon is ridiculous. The spino just bats them out the sky. 

Alpha Raptors and alpha Carnos don't get a hit in when I use the bite attack as their knock back is so good. With an alpha rex you only need to kite it to a body of water, have the spino in the drink at 90 degrees to the shore then kite the rex into the water. It stops, turns abs heads back to the land while you nom it. Let it aggro on you again and back out into the water. I've killed 3 alpha rexes in one visit to lava on the Centre and only have a basic saddle on my spino. 

Then there's the speed. Brilliant! 

If you're struggling to get it to follow you, you can try building behemoth gates around it so you can tranq it in its natural habitat.  Spinos are near impossible to keep focused on you so trying to drag them anywhere gets to be an exercise in frustration.  Once you have it locked in the gates it'll be easy to KO and tame since most land creatures ignore it.

Hello,

Tame with longneck of better quality only. Set you tank argent to passive and let the spino attack the Argentavis while you knock it out. If it goes to sleep in water it is not dieing. No oxygen consumption last I checked. Once tamed it can not survive so you must get baby's. Much like the Argentavis it has low health and die if it starts to rain or the wind change direction. Just tamed a level 140 Argent with 2100 health, so sad.

Good luck and jump off your Argent away from spino.

/ari

Archived