Speeding up unconscious dino food drain?

Lowly

Ok the only topics I could find where over on steam community forum from June/July, and I can't search this forum due the function not working on my mobile device.

I have been talking to a few players and was wondering what methods people use to speed up the food drain of unconscious dinos?

One person told me force feeding rotten meat to herbivores and berries to carnivores, increases there food drain so then when you drop the kibble they eat faster due to there food being low, I have read many times that stimulant doesn't effect food drain but updates HUD more frequently (supposedly info from a dev back in June) but no mention if stim berries had any effect on food drain on herbs or carns.

So how do you speed up your tames on official servers where we can't just increase food drain modifier in server options

PS I don't buy into the "starve the dino" option as with most dinos we have to stand around to feed it narcotic so it is still unconscious for the same period of time

• Volunteer Moderator

There are currently no means of increasing the rate at which hunger drops other than to change the server settings. Stimulants and narcotics do indeed change the display of hunger drop, but the actual drain is still the same.

As for starving dinosaurs, it's something a lot of people side with due to the fact that it's "safer" in terms of resource usage. It can't be denied that without (or sometimes even with) a taming pen several things can go wrong. An enemy tribe could arrive and kill the tame, wild dinos might attack the tame, you might get disconnected, etc. If you leave food in there while these things occur, you end up losing kibble to a dead animal/less than perfect tame.

4 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

There are currently no means of increasing the rate at which hunger drops other than to change the server settings. Stimulants and narcotics do indeed change the display of hunger drop, but the actual drain is still the same.

As for starving dinosaurs, it's something a lot of people side with due to the fact that it's "safer" in terms of resource usage. It can't be denied that without (or sometimes even with) a taming pen several things can go wrong. An enemy tribe could arrive and kill the tame, wild dinos might attack the tame, you might get disconnected, etc. If you leave food in there while these things occur, you end up losing kibble to a dead animal/less than perfect tame.

Thabk you for this info, I understand the concept behind being reservant about putting narco and food on a dino straight away, when I down a dino, if tgere is no immediate threat i force feed it to raise its health up, take food off it.

Then I clear the area of enemies and throw up a pen around it, while checking its unconscious, then I'll put the kibble and narco on it but I'm not going to stand there feeding it narco for an hour to let its food hit 50 then put all the kibble on it, even if I was on PvP, if the enemy tribes attacked while I was taming, the kibble would either lost on the dino or I would get killed and it would get lost that way. It will probably always confuse and baffle me why people think it is better to sit there and do it that way but to each there own

24 minutes ago, Lowly said:

Thabk you for this info, I understand the concept behind being reservant about putting narco and food on a dino straight away, when I down a dino, if tgere is no immediate threat i force feed it to raise its health up, take food off it.

Then I clear the area of enemies and throw up a pen around it, while checking its unconscious, then I'll put the kibble and narco on it but I'm not going to stand there feeding it narco for an hour to let its food hit 50 then put all the kibble on it, even if I was on PvP, if the enemy tribes attacked while I was taming, the kibble would either lost on the dino or I would get killed and it would get lost that way. It will probably always confuse and baffle me why people think it is better to sit there and do it that way but to each there own

Does force feeding before the first "bite" lower effectiveness? But yeah, no way to starve it faster.

Just now, MrDynamicMan said:

Does force feeding before the first "bite" lower effectiveness? But yeah, no way to starve it faster.

I had an idea that it did not as the taming effectiveness does not appear on the HUD until it naturally eats then my friend went on his single player and tried it out and told me that it did not change taming effectiveness, so either that is a bug or it is intended little known about feature, I have seen some youtubers doing it also

4 minutes ago, Lowly said:

I had an idea that it did not as the taming effectiveness does not appear on the HUD until it naturally eats then my friend went on his single player and tried it out and told me that it did not change taming effectiveness, so either that is a bug or it is intended little known about feature, I have seen some youtubers doing it also

Ive tried it before once, but TE was down already, must have hit it with tranq an extra time or something

1 hour ago, Lowly said:

If it's a dino I really want I sit there. If I have friends on wr all stay in the area and mess around killing all things in the area to waste time. I have lost dinos for all kind of reasons while taming. I've had Compy sneak in pens and eat a Rex .. I had a lvl 2 spawnnin my pennand kill a 120 scorpion at 99% while I walked in. I had tribes attack . and some people just kill your tames in purpose. So yeah today I got a 116 doed and we sat for two hours

32 minutes ago, 4horsemen said:

If it's a dino I really want I sit there. If I have friends on wr all stay in the area and mess around killing all things in the area to waste time. I have lost dinos for all kind of reasons while taming. I've had Compy sneak in pens and eat a Rex .. I had a lvl 2 spawnnin my pennand kill a 120 scorpion at 99% while I walked in. I had tribes attack . and some people just kill your tames in purpose. So yeah today I got a 116 doed and we sat for two hours

I always sit with my tames and I'm on pve, so I can understand why people deffinately would on pvp

• Volunteer Moderator

I believe TE starts the instant the dino is tranqed.  Onced it is tranq, you are in taming mode, even if you don't feed it.

And, this is easy to test.  Knock out an animal.  Don't give it any food.  Punch it a few times or stab it(epecially if it is high health) and then put food on it.  I believe you will see that the TE will start well below 100%.  This why for most tames, we time our shots, so that we don't accidentally shoot it just as it passes out.

3 minutes ago, Proud said:

TE does start as soon as it's knocked out. Feeding it to raise its health during taming is a food way to send your TE in the tank.

Then why doesn't it show up until it naturally eats?

Do you have any proof of this, or is it something where I need to knock out a dino, force feed it to heal then let it eat once to see TE then let it wake up and knock it out and just let it eat once to compare TE?

There are various youtubers who (from memory) manage to get perfect TE on when they force feed them to heal them

That's from my own experience. 

The 2 things that lower TE are damage taken during tame and how many times it eats. The more times it eats the lower it goes.

If you don't have any food in it then you can't see where TE is at. But it does not reset when tame progress returns to 0. The only way to reset TE is to let the animal wake up and retranq.

Stims and narcos don't have any effect of TE.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, Reese33 said:

I've been living a lie!! I thought narcotic sped it up for a few seconds apparently not.

Many of us have fallen for that lie.  Including the old stim them up and nacr them down routine; lots of wasted clicking.

All it does is make the numbers update more often, but they still have the same change over time.  Sort of like the second hand on a clock moving every 1/2 second instead of every 1 second; for those old style clocks.

10 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

Also, if you don't have kibble, and are using prime meat, you won't have to worry about them expiring so fast and going to waste.  

• Volunteer Moderator
50 minutes ago, Lowly said:

Then why doesn't it show up until it naturally eats?

Do you have any proof of this, or is it something where I need to knock out a dino, force feed it to heal then let it eat once to see TE then let it wake up and knock it out and just let it eat once to compare TE?

There are various youtubers who (from memory) manage to get perfect TE on when they force feed them to heal them

As pointed out, any damage tanken after tranqing will lower the level.

You can test this easily on a dodo or dilo.  Tranq one, punch it, feed it.  Unless you have the punching force of a wet noodle, I think you will find the TE is no where near 100%.  You can also test this by trying to force feed it something that lowers health and raises hunger.

And, the only way I have seen to get a perfect tame(50% of wild levels) is to knock out something and use the forcetame or dotame cheats, but only before feeding it; it it eats one time and then you use the cheats, you will not get 1/2 levels (I have tested it and the results are somewhere on this very forum).

48 minutes ago, Proud said:

That's from my own experience. 

The 2 things that lower TE are damage taken during tame and how many times it eats. The more times it eats the lower it goes.

If you don't have any food in it then you can't see where TE is at. But it does not reset when tame progress returns to 0. The only way to reset TE is to let the animal wake up and retranq.

Stims and narcos don't have any effect of TE.

But if I force feed it then it isn't eating, I am shovingg food in its mouth, 

Or to put it another way,if force feeding counted as it eating, then I could force feed it kibble and it would tame in 3 seconds.

In my most recent suggestion I was not suggesting putting food on it to let it eat then taking it off then putting it back on

I was suggesting feeding it, letting it wake up, then knocking it out again

3 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

As pointed out, any damage tanken after tranqing will lower the level.

You can test this easily on a dodo or dilo.  Tranq one, punch it, feed it.  Unless you have the punching force of a wet noodle, I think you will find the TE is no where near 100%.  You can also test this by trying to force feed it something that lowers health and raises hunger.

And, the only way I have seen to get a perfect tame(50% of wild levels) is to knock out something and use the forcetame or dotame cheats, but only before feeding it; it it eats one time and then you use the cheats, you will not get 1/2 levels (I have tested it and the results are somewhere on this very forum).

It seems people use the phrase perfect tame to mean different things, if you need to use admin commands to get a perfect tame then it isn't a tame, the highest maximum tame on the public server I play on is 171 120+51 so that's considered a perfect tame on that server, I know it's not 100% taming effectiveness but it's a perfectly executed tame,

I'm not sure where your suggestion about damage taken after taming was meant to fit in, I'm sorry

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Lowly said:

It seems people use the phrase perfect tame to mean different things, if you need to use admin commands to get a perfect tame then it isn't a tame, the highest maximum tame on the public server I play on is 171 120+51 so that's considered a perfect tame on that server, I know it's not 100% taming effectiveness but it's a perfectly executed tame,

I'm not sure where your suggestion about damage taken after taming was meant to fit in, I'm sorry

I am only sitting example of how taming works, including testing I have done.

As for taking damage, I am referring to when TE starts.

1.  Tranq it.

2.  Hit it.

3.  Give it food and tame it.

You will not get max(perfect) TE.  

That is, taming starts at tranq, not at first feeding.

1 hour ago, Jerryn said:

I am only sitting example of how taming works, including testing I have done.

As for taking damage, I am referring to when TE starts.

1.  Tranq it.

2.  Hit it.

3.  Give it food and tame it.

You will not get max(perfect) TE.  

That is, taming starts at tranq, not at first feeding.

Yes this is taming but I'm confused why you would hit it once its tranqed?

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Reese33 said:

Yes this is taming but I'm confused why you would hit it once its tranqed?

It has been asked, way back, to prove when the TE thing starts.  Many of us say after tranqning, some say after it starts eating; the contention being over the fact TE does not show up until the first bite is taken.  

Someone said prove it.  This is one way; tranq, hit, feed.  

Otherwise, no, I would not it before or during the feeding part of taming.

Archived