Coney's Guide to Making the Best Custom Consumables

ConeyAW

Hey all, I've done a lot of work and research on custom recipes and there's just NO good info on it out there. The wiki obviously breaks down raw statistics, but it takes some interpretation to be explained fully

Basically there are a few considerations to make when planning a custom food. They are: HP, stamina, food, and weight. Making a good recipe requires a delicate balance of all these. Its also important to note that this is a great way to store surplus food that would otherwise rot. Sometimes you'll leave thousands of berries and meat in a feeding trough that eventually all spoil when you could've cooked them into the "Primary Cake" or the "Cheeseburger" shown in my attached pictures instead. Custom consumables have an extremely long shelf life when refrigerated compared to normal food.

With my level 80 crafter with all levels in CS (880% or 7.80) I will typically follow these guidelines: (You should consume a focal chili prior to making recipes to raise your crafting skill level 100% for the duration of the buff)

• For my food filler, it's typically made of RAW meat. The best one I have is 10 raw meat for 101 food. Cooked meat technically gives more food, but I like the extra heal from raw
  • Element dust is a FANTASTIC ingredient. High stats evenly distributed with good weight
  • For healing recipes, try to use 2-4  bee honey and the rest of your 8 recipe slots some prime meat
  • Mushrooms in general just make better recipes; primarily because they have more balanced stats. The downside is they lack real sustanance as food to fill your hunger. However, food is the easiest stat to fill almost without trying
  • Stimberries and Auric mushrooms would normally decrease your water; but in a food recipe, they do not lower your water stat. It still does reduce the water given by a drink though when included in the drink's recipe.
  • DO NOT USE EGGS - THEY ARE MASSIVELY HEAVY! You're better off turning the eggs into kibble and using that in a recipe for the insane stamina regen. KIBBLE GIVES A TON OF STAMINA
  • Crops/veggies are best used in drinks. 2-4 on a good crafter will fill your water to 100
  • Please pay attention to weight. You would not believe how much extra room you can make just by getting rid of your egg recipes and doing meat or mushrooms instead. 
  • KEEP IT SIMPLE. I tried making recipes with 4 or 5 different ingredients but it just leads to a big hassle that totally isn't worth it.

Also, note that recipes don't really become "worth it" until about 500% - 550% CS. Thats the turning point when you start to reap benefits instead of taking losses.

I have included some examples I've made for reference. (The weights are listed because the blueprints all say 0.1 weight on them, but it doesnt include the final weight. I really wish they would change that and tell you how much weight the finished product will be)

• "Cheeseburger" - 0.3 lbs
    ShooterGame_BtsUukW3Pg.thumb.jpg.c98386eb05a1702fd9062e471855f6a9.jpg
  • "Stamburger" - 0.25 lbs
    ShooterGame_1Wc64s4hj2.thumb.jpg.2b36a3c829beef2cf6b60e4b8ba57802.jpg
  • "Primary Cake" - 0.55 lbs
    ShooterGame_jhOhLHws2N.thumb.jpg.03f69d1ce1c028940a06420e9e6941e6.jpg
  • "Mushroom Chocolate Cake" - 1.6 lbs
    ShooterGame_kHDDEvZUGQ.thumb.jpg.17990825f81f428daecf9f5c2e1685d1.jpg
  • "Aquafresh" - 0.18 lbs
    ShooterGame_ZwEjw0rywL.thumb.jpg.53fd0c899d1f8b0f2c8c85fcb943c2b9.jpg
  • "Lemonade" - 0.16 lbs
    ShooterGame_iNvTmJEIxm.thumb.jpg.edd8434395c2db243ee643e3cb7714b0.jpg
  • TEK Cake - 0.17 lbs
    ShooterGame_9ttjd2rRFb.thumb.jpg.d52843c1b2fc3d6f875a888869396851.jpg

5 minutes ago, acat said:

Does eating a focal chili before making the recipe still improve the results? And do you know if its still possible to feed these custom foods to dinos for stamina gain?

Chili used to work, I think it still works. And from what I know, you cannot feed this kind of food to your dinos, would be too op.

3 hours ago, acat said:

Does eating a focal chili before making the recipe still improve the results? And do you know if its still possible to feed these custom foods to dinos for stamina gain?

2 hours ago, Geneweave said:

Chili used to work, I think it still works. And from what I know, you cannot feed this kind of food to your dinos, would be too op.

To the best of my knowledge focal chili was patched, however I haven't tried it because I had that information in my head from the wiki I believe so I just assumed no buff to CS. I looked it up and the wiki says focal chili still works. Wish I knew that when I made those recipes ?

Also dinos cannot be fed any consumable other than veggie cakes now IIRC

1 hour ago, Blindboy1990 said:

The Wiki says: "Custom Consumables may be used by tamed dinos. This appears to only grant the Stamina effect of the consumable."

Does this not work anymore? This would actually be quite helpful.

I did some science with a 100 stimberry recipe on a velona. I was able to AoE spam continuously, but not use the direct fire. 

Running depleted stamina and gave the "winded" buff. 

Have not tested on other dinos. 

5 hours ago, ConeyAW said:

To the best of my knowledge focal chili was patched, however I haven't tried it because I had that information in my head from the wiki I believe so I just assumed no buff to CS. I looked it up and the wiki says focal chili still works. Wish I knew that when I made those recipes ?

Also dinos cannot be fed any consumable other than veggie cakes now IIRC

They can be consumed by your tame gives stamina only to the tame tho

4 hours ago, RasFW said:

I did some science with a 100 stimberry recipe on a velona. I was able to AoE spam continuously, but not use the direct fire. 

Running depleted stamina and gave the "winded" buff. 

Have not tested on other dinos. 

I use stamina cakes on pteras for wyv trench, you can barrell roll an extra time or two depending how long you stay down

My best recipe is done with a 105 crafter, best recipe I tested was 10 raw and 1 mushroom. Cheap, heals a lot and gives stamina. Add a single mushroom to skyrocket your stamina gain. Anything past 75 food gets redundant so the extra stamina is great for caves and general use

• 6 months later...
On 2/13/2019 at 1:06 AM, ConeyAW said:

Hey all, I've done a lot of work and research on custom recipes and there's just NO good info on it out there. The wiki obviously breaks down raw statistics, but it takes some interpretation to be explained fully

Are you helping to update the wiki too? Your thread is pretty cool, but it only helps the people that read the forums and happen to find this thread. Considering how much work you've done, if you help improve the wiki then your work will be appreciated by a lot more people.

i love making recipies. so i made a poison by adding

100x rotten meats

5x large feces 

50 narcoberries

it works like a charm, we used it in a raid, it killed the hostiles in a matter of minutes.

also made some noice foods. i now carry 20 carno cakes on me as they are so good for healing me and givin tames stam.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 6:27 PM, Kodking194 said:

i love making recipies. so i made a poison by adding

100x rotten meats

5x large feces 

50 narcoberries

it works like a charm, we used it in a raid, it killed the hostiles in a matter of minutes.

also made some noice foods. i now carry 20 carno cakes on me as they are so good for healing me and givin tames stam.

Or you could use 1 organic polymer

Out of curiosity I just tried to make a consumable with element dust, and it no longer pops up as an ingredient when in either the pot or the survivors inventory.  I'll try something else to see if it works, but it might not be possible to include it anymore.

EDIT:  What I tried ended up working.  I was trying on singleplayer to use spawned-in element dust, and evidently im using a weird spawn code.  I farmed some Tek Dinos and ba-da-bing, it pops up in usable ingredients.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived