Quick Breeding Advice.

DanRyder87

Hey guys, I know there are a million topics but this is slightly different. 

I was shown a very detailed YouTube video which I have followed, to be fair its done me well and I created some insane ankies and thylos. The way I have been doing it is like this, using Rex's as an ezample.

Find a Good stat roll melee

Good stat roll health

Good stat roll Stam.

Get all stats onto a stud male. Then get a huge amount of females all the same level and same stats as the male. Then I smash the stud male into the females until I get a mutation. If female I get the stat onto a new stud male and repeat. If it comes out as a male with all the stats plus the mutation Its an instant stud switch. The guide said that as long as I keep breeding my stud with the 0 mutation females then my stud can forever be mutated. So this is what I have been doing.

Another guide I have just been shown has thrown a spanner in the works by saying to have a set of Rex's 1 stud and loads of females for each of the 3 stats, this way I just hope to get a male with the new mutation and switch the stud instead of constantly trying to breed all stats and the mutation back onto a stud.

I'm torn as to what to do.... What I'm doing seems to work but its causing me to stress which may sound silly but I can't start with my Rex's until I know which route to go down.

If watched hours upon hours of guides, as much as they are detailed they are still confusing as hell and there are certain parts they don't explain for idiots like myself, they explain in confusing ways. They also contradict each other constantly.

Thanks for taking the time to help me. Extremely grateful.

There's no hard rule really, I just try to get all my best stats into 1 male for starters then keep breeding him with clean females, level is unimportant and try to get as many females with the desired stats as possible, at the same time keep any clean females you get without the stats for your breeding pool, keep males with the stats and kill the ones without, I have separate fridges for the eggs so the ones from females with the stats I want go into 1 fridge so I know these will all be keepers and just need to look for mutations, the others I keep separate as I know there'll be some unwanted crap in them so usually build up like a fridge full then hatch all at once, similar with mammals, keep the females with stats on one side and the clean breeding pool on another and just keep mating them

Try and use Ark Smart Breeding if you can just to help keep track of everything

As for your first method, I tried that when I first got serious about breeding and it's a lot of hard work trying to get all 7 stats into a stud male and loads of females so they're all the same level, ignore that and just concentrate on the stats you need, if you get them the same then it's easier to spot mutations as the baby will be 2 levels higher but don't worry too much about it as long as they all have the hp/melee/stam or whatever else you want, just make sure you have a record of the base stats either in ASB, notes on the creature or written down, check the ancestry line for mutations then if you have one check it against the base stats, just remember that the mutation score can go up but the non mutated parents stat gets picked or speed gets mutated which won't show up (you can see it in ASB)

If you get a male with a desired mutation just swap it with your stud and keep breeding with clean females, I also keep a couple of females back to breed with the original stud so I can get more 0/0 females with the wanted stats to breed with the mutated stud, if you get a mutated female then keep breeding it back with the stud male until you get a male that inherits the mutated stat and he becomes your stud, some guides will tell you to keep mutated stat lines separate then merge them when you're happy with them, others will say it's OK to have them on the same bloodline, neither way is wrong, I personally try to get all the mutated stats into one male then just keep breeding him with 0/0 females, they don't need to be 0/0 as you can still get mutations as long as they're under 20 but I like to keep the score as low as possible

Like I said just make sure you keep track of all base stats as a mutation can occur but the lower/unmutated stat or an unwanted stat gets picked instead so you just need to keep checking, keep any that don't get a mutation you want out of your breeding pool as the score gets passed on and can quickly get out of control if you further breed them

This is how I do it and it works for me, someone else will probably post something different but there is no hard rule apart from making sure you keep a pool of clean females 

When you have separate lines for each stat - you avoid breeding overhead that comes when you try to keep all stats at once.

Keeping all stats leads to unnecessary mutation markers stacking every time you dont get all stats in a new mutated baby if you have more than one stat you want to pass to offspring. This might be harmful if you've just started and have less than 20 markers on the male as all you do is ruin your mutation chances. After 20 mutation markers on male its just extra time wasted on re-combining stats every generation, unless you are in dire need to replenish your stock of high stat dinos (boss army or siege dinos).

3 hours ago, DanRyder87 said:

The way you say you do it is the way I think I have been doing it.

Constantly upgrade the stud male with the mutations and spam breed with 0/0 females in hope Melee or HP gets a mutation. Then get that back on my stud and repeat. Taking no notice of the males mutation score.

Yeah, to be honest it's the inefficient way of doing it as your stud's mutation score gets out of control so you're wholly dependent on getting a mutation on the matrilineal side but it mutating the father's stat and that stat being chosen, it's an even slower process than trying to bred the mutations into separate bloodlines where you keep both parents score under 20 so both have a chance of mutating, if you're on official then you will be better off trying to breed them separate unless you have a decent size tribe so there's always somebody on and a big breeding pool to be able to spam breed, I play on my own server as I'm self employed so sometimes have 12 hours plus to play and other days don't have time to sleep so shut it down when I'm busy, I have a shorter mating cooldown so can at least spam breed if I have a couple of days with no work which works for me

Around 18.25 explains it a bit better than what I can

7 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

When you have separate lines for each stat - you avoid breeding overhead that comes when you try to keep all stats at once.

Keeping all stats leads to unnecessary mutation markers stacking every time you dont get all stats in a new mutated baby if you have more than one stat you want to pass to offspring. This might be harmful if you've just started and have less than 20 markers on the male as all you do is ruin your mutation chances. After 20 mutation markers on male its just extra time wasted on re-combining stats every generation, unless you are in dire need to replenish your stock of high stat dinos (boss army or siege dinos).

I dont get this breeding for seperate stats... Lets say i have a HP line and melee line, i get a HP mutation in my melee line.Thats a wasted mutation there because i probably already have better HP on my HP line?

Every time i get a mutation in a stat i want and its a female, i just add that one to the breeders untill a male comes out with all the good stats+ that mutation to replace the current male.

If its a male that gets the mutation but not all the other stats i want, that does require a bit more breeding to get all the stats back.

That's the exact video I followed.

I myself own a cluster of 4 servers which has grown extremely popular. They pretty much pay for themselves with donations.

I believe its 0.15 mating cool down 

X20 egg hatch

x15 maturation 

So its far from official.

The issue I have with the current way is not only do you mess up the males mutation score quickly but getting the stats back onto a stud male can take ages. Ontop of that the atud gets so far away in levels and stats from the females it gets harder and harder then to top it off it the mutation chance gets halved.

Currently I have around 60 0 mut females and 2 clean stud males. Haven't decided what direction I wanna go yet lol. 

I haven't bothered with stam as I found a level 135 with 2.4k stam so I'm just gonna wait til I'm done and breed it it.

What would you advise I do? Separate HP and Melee or stick to my usual of mash breeding a constantly upgraded M with my fems? 

Just do it whichever way you think is best, it's all basically a case of praying to the RNG gods ?

It really depends on how much time and patience you have, both ways need loads anyway and both can shaft you as well, the one thing that would decide it for me is your stats, are they all mixed or have you combined them so they all have the same hp & melee (or any others you want)?

It's tricky to breed right sometimes.  It really all depends on how the RNG turns out with babies, and what you are trying to breed out.  It works to keep lines separated and keep muts from unnecessarily stacking up sometimes, and sometimes if you are breeding wild 0/20 mut stats it is better to just fuse lines until all good stats are on one.  Sometimes one way ends up being the easier way to go, sometimes the other does.

EXAMPLE:  I was recently breeding Thorny Dragons, having regular 240+ births, just trying to get the last few 0/20 mutation wild stats fused into a level 252 super-Thorny (it did succeed).  In the middle of fusing wild stats, I got a stam mut, a HP mut, and a weight mut.  Now I have to decide to keep stacking muts or keep those muts separate and breed them out further.  Of course I'm gonna keep the original mutated Thorners...  And will breed the stats all into one superDUPER-Thorny (should come out at about level 270-ish with a few other new stats) but for actually progressing, I'm trying to decide if I should have one super-mutated Male and go the "super-dino" way of mating unmutated Females with the Male and letting them mutate the Male's stats, or keep the lines separate.  But it just worked out this way with this one dino line. 

When I bred Megatheriums, they were a literal oneshot breed:  I bred them one time for each stat I was trying to combine, got consistently perfect inheritance, and started spamming duplicate babies to make a Broodmother Army.  Didn't get any muts, but it was a really short breeding line.

4 hours ago, DanRyder87 said:

All my females match my stud stat for stat base wise and level wise. This is how I always breed regardless. I won't start a breed line and will actually kill off a mutates baby until I have a boatload of FEMS with the same stats as my stud.

Either way is good then, if they were a bunch of random females then I'd do separate lines so you can just concentrate on getting mutations for each particular stat and not have to worry about the other stat(s) in that line until you come to combine them all

I'd start off breeding all females with one stud, kill any unwanted mutations, once you get your first desired mutation split them up and have the majority of females with the mutated stud trying to mutate it further and have the rest with a clean male to produce more 0/0 females and hopefully another wanted mutation

From here just go with the flow and see what happens, say your first mutated stud has hp but then gets another on melee and you've had nothing from the clean stud then I'd probably just smash him into all the females, not worry about the score and just try to mutate those 2 stats, can be a pain when you do get a new mutation and the baby doesn't inherit the other mutated stat, the boosted cooldown on your server will help with that though and shouldn't take too long to breed into a new stud, if the first mutated stud gets another on hp and you get another with melee from the clean stud then split the lines and go that way

I prefer having them all one but that's just down to me, like TheDonn says it depends on what the RNG throws out and whenever I try separate lines it more often than not bends me over and shafts me big time, nothing worse than getting sod all on the melee line and then one pops up on the hp line and vice versa  ?

The issue I'm having the way I'm doing it is 

I have a stud with 6 mutations. I breed with all my 0 must FEMS. A fem comes out with a mutation. But that fem now has the 6 mut score of the male .. I breed that fem with the stud and the baby now has 12 must score when it only has 6-7 mutations..

1 hour ago, DanRyder87 said:

The issue I'm having the way I'm doing it is 

I have a stud with 6 mutations. I breed with all my 0 must FEMS. A fem comes out with a mutation. But that fem now has the 6 mut score of the male .. I breed that fem with the stud and the baby now has 12 must score when it only has 6-7 mutations..

Even if you get male that doesnt inherit all the stats it will be the same. Mutation marker stacking is a byproduct of trying to keep all mutated stats in one stud all the time. Plus the waste of time trying to recombine stats into the new stud every new mutation.

1 hour ago, DarthaNyan said:

Plus the waste of time trying to recombine stats into the new stud every new mutation.

Yes waste of time.. but when you are breeding separate lines, and its your.. lets say HP line, every mutation other than HP you get on that line is wasted, because you have other lines that already have better stats..

So im not sure wich way is better :P

2 hours ago, Baklap said:

but when you are breeding separate lines, and its your.. lets say HP line, every mutation other than HP you get on that line is wasted, because you have other lines that already have better stats..

if you have enough clean females then "wrong" mutation doesnt really matter. Mutation stacking is a game of (clean female)numbers.

Archived