Lymantria's failures

GermanGamer7

Image result for moth memes

Dear ARK,

Your creature, Lymantria sporarmis, has failed to live up to promises. I am especially angry over the fact that you promised it could make silk in a future update, but after 2 more expansions, Lymantria is still not able to produce silk. Here are a few things I would like to see added:

-Nocturnal (Similar to Megalosaurus, but doesn't get groggy or suffer from sleep deprivation)

-Wild ones are attracted to light

-Making silk

-More spore types

-Make them breedable

-Make them faster

I do not expect ARK to live up to all of these, but here is a rundown of each:

Nocturnal: Since real moths, especially of the named genus Lymantria, are active during night, it would only be sensible to make them nocturnal. 

Light attraction: This one is one I really want to see added. Moths LOVE things like lamps, and really it does not make sense to make Lymantria sporarmis cathemernal. 

Making silk: This infuriates me, as you have promised in the canon dossier that they will be able to make silk, but here we are, 2 expansions later, with an unfinished moth.

More spore types: This one isn't so necessary, but it would be nice. As a bomber, if they could drop poison spores as well (since they are giant moths) it would be very good.

Breedable: This one also is pretty necessary. I have seen ARK's neglect of arthropods lately, and disallowing any of them to be breedable is just crazy. Why though?

Faster: Finally, this creature is almost never tamed either because it is so slow, and moths are much faster in real life. Besides, making them use slow spores is just adding insult to injury at this speed.

In all, ARK has not finished the Lymantria and must do so at once, along with many other arthropods.

Best regards and hopes for saving the ARKthropods,

GermanGamer7

• 2 weeks later...

I can agree with many of these things I've been wanting to breed scorpions for a long time. There are many teams that still need a lot of reworks but I feel like this should be moved to the top of it for the fact that they promised the production of silk forever ago. I think later I'll make a list of dinos that need TLC and they're TLC's of my opinion later

10 hours ago, HectorHellious said:

I can agree with many of these things I've been wanting to breed scorpions for a long time. I think later I'll make a list of dinos that need TLC and they're TLC's of my opinion later

As a clear lover of spiders, here are mine, from most needy to least (these are all ones in desperate need tho)

1. Araneo, they can be so much more viable if they got wall climb like Megalania or a buff in speed and melee.

2. Lymantria, as above.

3. Pulmonoscorpius, as above.

4. Ichthyornis, needs a better skill or trait that makes it worth taming.

5. Pachy, torpor is so weak it's useless.

If you agree that ARK should fix arthropods, join my group, the ARKthropods.

Tbh, getting breeding of Arthropods, I would imagine, would be slightly more difficult than you think. If you put it in a realistic view. most creature starts out as babies. However, insects often start out as larva (or shell-less babies), and are often the most vulnerable, not to mention larvae usually come out in bulks from an egg. To instil that kind of mechanic like Reaper King did from changing baby state to Juveline state onwards would need time.

I am not counting Gasbags as part of it as well, on that note.

However, if you think its easy, please show me a mod with that kind of thing, not just straight up direct breeding and dropping adults like most of those mods do.

Also, they had mentioned about Scorched Earth DLC rework years back (due to how seriously incomplete it appears), but as it stands, still no news. They are still focused on S+ Integration and Kibble Rework system. Whether or not they'll go back to that idk.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:18 PM, GermanGamer7 said:

Nocturnal: Since real moths, especially of the named genus Lymantria, are active during night, it would only be sensible to make them nocturnal. 

Light attraction: This one is one I really want to see added. Moths LOVE things like lamps, and really it does not make sense to make Lymantria sporarmis cathemernal. 

In no way do any of these help the Lymantria at all. Even if they were nocturnal, Lymantria would still be worse than any Argy or Snow Owl. The lack of any normal attack or grab really hinders it. 

This infuriates me, as you have promised in the canon dossier that they will be able to make silk

Dossiers don't always reflect gameplay aspects. Just go kill one or two wild Lymantria or collect it from purple flowers. 

Faster: Finally, this creature is almost never tamed either because it is so slow, and moths are much faster in real life. Besides, making them use slow spores is just adding insult to injury at this speed.

No, it's never tamed because it's just bad. Even if it were as fast as an Argy, everyone would still use the Argy. The only thing the Lymantria is good for is turret soaking, as they can eat Veggie Cakes. 

The Lymantria's core design is what holds it down. A low stat flyer(Agros everything) with no normal attack or grab(Staple of the flyers) and only a slightly annoying utility. The Pelagornis suffers from some of these issues, but can swim over water without any fear of running out of stamina. That's pretty good early game or on maps like the Center. You need a total rework to save the Lymantria. 

My idea would be to give it more supporting or "passive" abilites based on its home map of Scorched Earth. Make it a support centered mount to make up for its lack of viable skills. 

11 hours ago, GermanGamer7 said:

4. Ichthyornis, needs a better skill or trait that makes it worth taming.

They can already retrieve small creatures like dodos and turn them into prime meat for you. also very good for assisting in taming otters or getting prime fish for your moschops tames, or if you don't need the actual corpse you can set them to just hunt and aggressive and they will kill and eat things until they get full on meat

as for the lymantria i agree they should be faster.  I always thought their spores should have a short blind that makes things wander out of the cloud if they are relying on AI kind of like a dispersal bomb, and it would be nice if they could shake the dust off themselves in an area centered on them when they are landed

1 hour ago, Qwertymine said:

In no way do any of these help the Lymantria at all. Even if they were nocturnal, Lymantria would still be worse than any Argy or Snow Owl. The lack of any normal attack or grab really hinders it. 

Dossiers don't always reflect gameplay aspects. Just go kill one or two wild Lymantria or collect it from purple flowers. 

No, it's never tamed because it's just bad. Even if it were as fast as an Argy, everyone would still use the Argy. The only thing the Lymantria is good for is turret soaking, as they can eat Veggie Cakes. 

The Lymantria's core design is what holds it down. A low stat flyer(Agros everything) with no normal attack or grab(Staple of the flyers) and only a slightly annoying utility. The Pelagornis suffers from some of these issues, but can swim over water without any fear of running out of stamina. That's pretty good early game or on maps like the Center. You need a total rework to save the Lymantria. 

My idea would be to give it more supporting or "passive" abilites based on its home map of Scorched Earth. Make it a support centered mount to make up for its lack of viable skills. 

You have many fair points. I just feel Lymantria sporarmis would be better suited to be being maybe more active during night, like Megalosaurus noctedominus but without the grogginess. For example, merely spawning 2x as much during night would make sense. Core design is also just terribly bad. People would rather tame the current 2nd worst flyer, Pteranodon wyvernus, after the flyer nerf, than Lymantria sporarmis. Health: Bad. Melee: Absolutely terrible and cannot even attack. Speed: Abysmal and even worse after the flyer nerf, the slowest flyer in the game. Stamina: Still mediocre, albeit not the worst stamina ingame. Weight: awful. Overall, this is just a punch to the face of a tame. ARK has to finish this tame, or even just buff it. 

Image result for moth GIF

1 hour ago, Kaprosuchus said:

They can already retrieve small creatures like dodos and turn them into prime meat for you. also very good for assisting in taming otters or getting prime fish for your moschops tames, or if you don't need the actual corpse you can set them to just hunt and aggressive and they will kill and eat things until they get full on meat

Thanks. I wasn't very good with figuring out how to use it. Can I have a taming guide for it?

1 hour ago, Kaprosuchus said:

as for the lymantria i agree they should be faster.  I always thought their spores should have a short blind that makes things wander out of the cloud if they are relying on AI kind of like a dispersal bomb, and it would be nice if they could shake the dust off themselves in an area centered on them when they are landed

I agree. Also, if they could shake poisoning dust off of them in a similar manner to New World members of Theraphosidae rubbing urticating hairs off of their abdomens, as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUOb7OyZXs0 (all credit belongs to Chao Jimmy Wu *Mantisman630*). These poisoning spores could have a similar blinding/damaging effect to Dilophosaurus sputatrix's venom. L. sporarmis should remain skittish, as it is a moth. Aggressive moths don't make sense.

Lymantria could also have a wall grabbing ability like the tapejara, where you could land on vertical (and maybe upside down) surfaces. Personally, if they were to not add an attack, then I think it would be fair to let people use mounted combat (guns etc) while riding one, giving it a somewhat competitive advantage vs other flyers in terms of combat effectiveness. This would not be unbalanced because for example the griffin, which excels in battle, also has this ability.

Or, they could also give it's fart attack a debuff similar to the spore mushrooms on aberration. Hallucinating effects, and a suffocation effect that increases in severity, scaling with the moth's melee stat. It would make it a good choice as a dino rider killer in pvp.

It would also be cool if their taming mechanics involved light. During night, find the moth and illuminate it as much as possible with the brightest lämp until it loves you (Would make charge lantern a relevant item, finally!!)

2 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Lymantria could also have a wall grabbing ability like the tapejara, where you could land on vertical (and maybe upside down) surfaces. Personally, if they were to not add an attack, then I think it would be fair to let people use mounted combat (guns etc) while riding one, giving it a somewhat competitive advantage vs other flyers in terms of combat effectiveness. This would not be unbalanced because for example the griffin, which excels in battle, also has this ability.

It would also be cool if their taming mechanics involved light. During night, find the moth and illuminate it as much as possible with the brightest lämp until it loves you (Would make charge lantern a relevant item, finally!!)

Being a moth, they should have that Tapejara ability. Agreed on the mounted combat, because you can slow say an Argy and then snipe it from your moth. Yes! Charge lanterns aren't in SE, so you might have to use the best light. They'd be attracted most for taming effectiveness for a high-end light emitter, and a torch would be least. 

Achatina

Food - increase eating from berries/crops trough at half food instead of 10% food

Insect Paste - make it so it eats chitin to make paste on top of its normal 100 production

Shell - major defense increase when in shell

Araneo

Spider Feet - Ability to climb walls

Venomous - Bite attack has a chance to apply a debuff to stamina and DPS

Giant Bee

Honey Anti-Theft - If the hive is not locked then anyone can access it but enemy players not wearing proper armor will take double normal bee effect and bears and steal honey from even locked hives

Lymantria

Faster Flight - Slightly faster than argy

Nocturnal - buff to speed and healing at night and debuff speed and stamina during day

Butterfly - Add either a skin or variation

Spores - Spores change to a 5 second stun then a 20 second speed rebuff

Silk Factor - Its been stated by WC and the doisers that is does(or will) do it and many years later still doesn't. Make its poop count for like 100 silk or make it produce silk like the Achatina does paste in a 100 stack per hour

Pulmonoscorpius

Tranq - Make stinger attack deal less damage but more torpo like its water brother

Nocturnal - buff to speed and healing at night and debuff speed and stamina during day

Make all able to breed (besides bees, dung beetles, or Achatina) - Add an incubation items that breaks when they become adolescent and turn into small versions of the tames or just make them act like other dinosaur and make them just hatch tiny versions. Either way we are happy

10 hours ago, HectorHellious said:

Achatina

Food - increase eating from berries/crops trough at half food

Insect Paste - make it so it eats chitin to make paste on top of it normal 100 production

Shell - major defense increase win in shell

Araneo

Spider Feet - Ability to climb walls

Venomous - Bite attack has a chance to apply a rebuff of stamina and DPS

Giant Bee

Honey Anti-Theft - If the hive is not locked then anyone can access it but enemy players not wearing proper armor will take double normal beer effect

Lymantria

Faster Flight - Slightly faster than argy

Nocturnal - buff to speed and healing at night

Butterfly - Add either a skin or variation

Spores - Spores change to a 5 second stun then a 20 second speed rebuff

Silk Factor - Its been stated by WC and the doisers that is does(or will) do it and many years later still doesn't. Make it poops count for like 100 silk or make it produce silk like the Achatina does paste in a 100 stack per hour

Pulmonoscorpius

Tranq - Make stinger attack deal less damage but more torpo like its water brother

Make all able to breed (besides bees, dungeon beatles, or Achatina) - Add an incubation items that breaks when they become adolescent and turn into small versions of the tames or just make them act like other dinosaur and make them just hatch tiny versions. Either way we are happy

I HIGHLY AGREE with you. Very much. Please forward this to the devs guys!!!!!!

Personally speaking, I love to use them for building tall, large structures, they are perfect for it with their precision flying.

Really like those fellas. 

I think Wildcard froze plans on Scorched Earth after the backlash of receiving such awesome expansion while the main game was in Early Access. The Phoenix almost didn't make into the game at all, fortunately we managed to talk them into finalizing the creature and release it, which I am thankful for.

Now that things are in better shape overall, and the Early Access flag has been dropped, I see no reason why not to go back and do TLC pass for the creatures of Scorched Earth, heck if past TLCs had around 5 animals in each deployment then with a mere 2 TLCs we could pretty much cover all the unique creatures from Scorched Earth, it would be nice if they did that. 

I am a huge Rex fan, so when they did the TLC for it, I was at first concerned, but the end result was such an improvement that made me wonder what they could do for Wyverns and the lot.

Just my thoughts, cheers!

On 2/26/2019 at 5:23 PM, Martellus said:

Personally speaking, I love to use them for building tall, large structures, they are perfect for it with their precision flying.

Really like those fellas. 

I think Wildcard froze plans on Scorched Earth after the backlash of receiving such awesome expansion while the main game was in Early Access. The Phoenix almost didn't make into the game at all, fortunately we managed to talk them into finalizing the creature and release it, which I am thankful for.

Now that things are in better shape overall, and the Early Access flag has been dropped, I see no reason why not to go back and do TLC pass for the creatures of Scorched Earth, heck if past TLCs had around 5 animals in each deployment then with a mere 2 TLCs we could pretty much cover all the unique creatures from Scorched Earth, it would be nice if they did that. 

I am a huge Rex fan, so when they did the TLC for it, I was at first concerned, but the end result was such an improvement that made me wonder what they could do for Wyverns and the lot.

Just my thoughts, cheers!

Guys PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO THE DEVS!!!!!!!!! THIS GUY IS SO CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived