Suggestions for how to do caves???

Rainshadow

Hi guys! So I've just started getting interested into cave exploration. I've already done the lower south cave on the Island and found it an interesting experience (my shotgun saved me). So do you guys have any suggestions of good mounts, weapons, etc. to take into caves, and any Island caves I should try next for best loot and fun? Thanks!

Last time I used a lvl 80 Raptor (playing on difficulty 6 and wasn't too picky) and a PA shotgun and assault rifle. I just barely made it (even my journeyman flak gauntlets got destroyed by Arthros) but managed to get the artifact. Was I doing the right thing or did I screw up with my choices?

Can't go wrong with a good wolf or thylo. The cave on carno island on the top right of map is good. The water gives you good egress if you get into trouble up top.

The lava cave is exciting, knowing if you miss your jump you lose everything. Wolves/sabers might be safer there.

If you get a beelz you aren't particularly fond of go in to the hard loot cave for a peak. You're going to die, so expect that. It's an exciting cave.

If you have cryopods then a thyla for most of the caves and maybe a megatherium for the swamp cave, there's a bit of messing about with a megatherium as there's a couple of places it can get stuck so need to wait for cooldown to finish so you can freeze and throw it out on the other side, they do wreck everything in there and it's very rare your gear takes damage from arthros though which more than makes up for having to wait for the cooldown to finish

If you don't have cryopods then thyla for dead island, terror bird is also good in dead island cave for getting to the bottom quickly, bary is a must for upper south & swamp cave, for the arthros in the swamp cave just attack them head on and your gear should be OK, try not to let them get to the side or behind you, any other caves with arthros I usually go naked or wear cheap gear I don't mind breaking, rest of the caves just use whatever mounts you prefer, if you get a bary then just use it for all of them as they're great all rounders, just make sure you carry plenty of med brews and some antidotes if you're going in caves with onyc or use bug repellent so they don't agro on you but what's the fun in that ? 

I've used the a baryonx in the Lower South, Upper south, Central cave, Lava Cave and the Northeast cave. Planning to use one in the Swamp Cave as well. Recently though I've tamed up a decent Thylaco to use in the Northeast cave. It's a little safer to use in there if you fall off since it won't take fall damage. Also, it can climb up the walls.

The Bary is good for the caves where there are lots of underwater areas and tunnels. the Bary's stun works great to stop the piranha and the sarcos. Although in the upper south cave, you can get around the tunnel to the artifact by using grapples.

I haven't been in any of the others yet

I take a giga into the Forest cave on Extinction. Gets me a lot of Meat and XP. I cant speak for other caves that I havent gone in. Imprinted barys seem like a good choice to me. A pack of ravagers sound good too. I would take in an extra set of gear, and some stims too if I had to go on foot. Many of those caves caust torp, and/or loss of control of character. Some caves need climbing picks.

I think with a good wolf or two, all the caves on The Island are more or less doable, and wolf can fit in most of them. Having a good melee Dimorphodon on your shoulder helps a lot. PA shotgun, Compound bow, Crossbow, some potions, spare armour,

I personally find it difficult to do lava cave with any mounts, I always drown them in lava, so after killing few otters, wolves and a Redwood kitty, I use only grapples, repellent and a good shotgun.

Big snow cave is much easier with a good bred Rex or a mateboosted couple.

Easy underwater cave is ok with 150+ Mosa, just make sure to bring a crossbow and arrows in case jellys get you. A difficult cave is doable only with excellent 140+ wild tamed Basilos (2 ones different gender, or more) or bred ones. I've managed to solo it, but I had like 40-50k hp and 700 melee with 70 armour saddle.

The best mount is in my opinion the Baryonyx. I used the Bary for the swamp cave,  Cavern of lost faith, South East Cave, Central cave and Lower south cave. I wouldnt recommend the Bary for the North East cave. There is one point, where the Bary can get up very difficult. It almost died when i tried to leave the cave. A better animal would be a Beelzebufoor a thyla. Just a creature that can jump very high.

For the underwater caves a Basilo would be a good creature. It has good health, good attack and is immune to Jelly stings and a tuso grab. For the Cavern of lost hope, i would recommend a fast mount like a Manta, Ichty or an imprinted Angler. But its still a hard cave.

I havent tried the other ones.

Archived