Demerus

Food Bug getting out of hand

I have already submitted a bug report so this post is to raise awareness. This bug is getting out of hand and continues to happen for months.

This is a pic of a dino refusing to eat. Check the food in inventory and look at the food stat and tell me nothing is wrong.

if left unchecked long enough dinos starve and die.

please look into this and at the very least acknowledge it is a problem being fixed.

thank you

@Jen @Eli @CtrlAltDebug @Skittle @Seggzy

xq9gZM0.png

Edited by Demerus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Demerus said:

I have already submitted a bug report so this post is to raise awareness. This bug is getting out of hand and continues to happen for months.

This is a pic of a dino refusing to eat. Check the food in inventory and look at the food stat and tell me nothing is wrong.

if left unchecked long enough dinos starve and die.

please look into this and at the very least acknowledge it is a problem being fixed.

thank you

Yep, that's been around since '16 at least hahaha...  Good ole auto-starve protocol.

50 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

Yep, that's been around since '16 at least hahaha...  Good ole auto-starve protocol.

It started when they reworked how stasis affects dinos back when they fixed the floating babies glitch

Experienced this for the first time last night when I was raising some dodo chicks. Every few minutes while I'm incubating other eggs I circle back and check on the already hatched babies to make sure they have plenty of berries in their inventory, and when I got to the youngest one I found with a shock that she was on the verge of starving to death with an inventory full of untouched food. I panicked and force-fed her until her food meter and health went back up so she was okay. But for a few minutes she still wasn't eating on her own. I then put her on follow and walked her around a bit and then turned follow off, and lo and behold she started eating again and grew up as normal. So try that if it happens again?

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

It started when they reworked how stasis affects dinos back when they fixed the floating babies glitch

Well if it has something to do with stasis, then Im not sure why my giga was at 0 food while i was standing right next to it for the entire evening (rendered). It's tried starving itself twice now.

I found cryopodding and deploying help them eat again if they stop.

Edited by Wazzamaniac
  • Like 2

I'm curious... has anyone with this issue tried work-arounds to see if the bug can be lifted? For instance... remove the food from inventory and see if it will eat from a trough, or purposely remove all food from inventory then return it after a bit? Its might hint at whether the issue is with the dino not eating, or the food not being registered as available for eating. 

9 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Well if it has something to do with stasis, then Im not sure why my giga was at 0 food while i was standing right next to it for the entire evening (rendered). It's tried starving itself twice now.

I found cryopodding and deploying help them eat again if they stop.

Well not necessarily to do with stasis, I was just stating when the bug popped up. I remember that time very vividly. They actually reworked baby food drain but at the same time reworked how dinos in stasis are affected by food drop (if you remember - people would take over pearl caves on the island and raise gigas in em because stasis'd dinos used to lose next to 0 food) At that time if someone didnt have a spot to float the babies they would do this

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

I'm curious... has anyone with this issue tried work-arounds to see if the bug can be lifted? For instance... remove the food from inventory and see if it will eat from a trough, or purposely remove all food from inventory then return it after a bit? Its might hint at whether the issue is with the dino not eating, or the food not being registered as available for eating. 

I put the baby on follow, walked her around a bit then took follow off, and she started eating normally again.

1 hour ago, DeHammer said:

yes but player made workarounds do not always work. It shouldn't be necessary, this should work properly as breeding is a huge part of the game to be broken like this. That is the problem. Sometimes you are not around to notice as it is impossible to constantly check each individual baby every minute to make sure they are eating when their inventory has enough food to last them.

Some workarounds include but not limited to:

-walking the dino
-force feeding until its HP resets
-cryopodding
-punching the dino
-praying
-crossing your fingers
-donating to charity
-doing community service
-helping grandma bake a cake

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Demerus said:

yes but player made workarounds do not always work. It shouldn't be necessary, this should work properly as breeding is a huge part of the game to be broken like this. That is the problem. Sometimes you are not around to notice as it is impossible to constantly check each individual baby every minute to make sure they are eating when their inventory has enough food to last them.

Some workarounds include but not limited to:

-walking the dino
-force feeding until its HP resets
-cryopodding
-punching the dino
-praying
-crossing your fingers
-donating to charity
-doing community service
-helping grandma bake a cake

If the devs are unable to find an actual fix they should at least make it so that baby dinos start crying or something when they're at 0 food so you know theyre starving...

Yeah, sadly that has been a problem for  a few years now.  It didn't happen too often to me but  a few times I had to force-feed babies just to keep them alive.  If I recall it always seemed to work itself out of it by taking food out and putting back in a few times but I never lost a dino to it that I remember.  It would be nice if it could be fixed.  Hopefully you haven't lost any valuable dinos to it.  

Hello,

For new players, stasis describe one area on the map that is low processed and as soon as a player enters the area normal processing resumes.

For new players, floating creatures and players can not eat.

Since none of these can explain the bug.  Something else make ARK forget to process some creatures.

So far I read about giga, quetz, wyvern  and new born babies having this issue.

Yes some creatures  snap out of it by boxing or whip the important thing is that they move.

So why do not cryoing also always work  to get a creature into normal processing.

Is it the inclined mesh effects or declined? Looks like some areas are worse than others.

Is it that some dinos have feet below the mesh? Giving them a lower processing status.

If WC need all processing power for something else (graphics). It is a bad trade off.

Edit

So one did not eat regardless of the above suggestions. The only thing that helped was going out of render distance.

End edit

Edited by ArianaGaming
Hoped for 3x