What happened to ark once a beautiful community turned toxic plz Read

QuinnJesus

In late 2016 and early 2017 ark was a simple game with the island,center, and scorched earth with one of the most vibrant community’s I’d ever seen. Servers were hosted by people who were willing to spend 200$ on a xbox just to run a server in which they could control with a couple admins, who were majority of the time great people. You could play for day in and day out interacting with players and they would be friendly other than the occasional sniper on the pillars of the center it was beautiful, servers had community centers and people were welcomed to join and have fun. You didn’t have it overly boosted so things took time increasing the longevity of the game and making everything a goal to pursue and cherish when achieved. Raids were an occasional thing with maybe a couple of tribes banding up to take down a bigger tribe but then once it was done you’d go separate ways but continue that bond and help each other back on their feet when raided. All around a wonderful community that your were willing to spend hours on and met some of our greatest online friends here. With all of the fooling around,knocking your friends out,the occasional shotgun damage test, and most importantly the excitement of preparing supply’s for a raid and planning out your approach. I loved this I would spend nearly my entire free time on this and in the summer would wake up at 11am to find my friends hard on the grind and would play with them until the early morning hours of the next day to do it all over. But in the past year and late 2017 the game has felt distant with lack of dedication from admins and little friendly relations amongst servers. I believe with the new content and fan base many never experienced this and don’t understand what Ark truly is this game is about the moments shared in it and when you can’t get past stone without being raided because of to boosted of server,losing interest due to such a lacking community, and even finding a server that you want to spend your time on. It turns the game to something distant that is just another download without real purpose theirs no goal anymore it’s just repetition of a long lost hope of the old days that leave you blank and not eager to play you and when you reminisce on the old times you eagerly hop back on but in under a hour the feeling fades away. This is why arks community needs to change for the better without a serious change of it though the game won’t die Ark itself will die it will be a mear game engine that plays a game similar to the once great game that made many people thousands of memories that they will never forget so I hope you all think about this and that something will change to make Ark Ark again.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ll tell you what the issue is; that batch of people have never experienced official, real official so I’m talking legacy in the pre evolution event era. Even if you didn’t play legacy back then, non evo event official is still grindy, so you can relate it.

If they extended decay timers and increased taming and breeding, I’d give official a go again as I could live with everything else. But that’s never gunna happen so I base my settings from increasing the parts of official I didn’t like.

The problem you have now is that people are so used to ridiculously high rates and have never played official that they would never go the opposite way. As for toxicity, I’d say high rates increases that level because boredom is achieved much quicker, to the point where raiding is almost pointless but attacking people must carry on so the act continues.

You cannot take toxicity out of this game as long as you play on public servers where people don’t know eachother.

In the time you talk about the server transfers were rather new to ark, so no mega tribes had formed yet and one still knew most people on his server. Nowadays mega tribes dominate the regular official servers, the network of servers is too big to allow a community to grow, people are anonymous and thus more toxic.

Also, wildcard has increased gathering rates, introduced many new stuff that makes resource gathering way easier and started evolution events. This means people can farm raiding gear more easily, and they farm more things that they are then afraid to lose.

They introduced breeding which increases the power gap between bigger and smaller groups, just like the whole tek tier they released around that time. The tek tier also makes it seem (at least to me) like ark doesnt really know what it wants to be, there is no clear concept, just a bit of everything you can think of (dinos, space suits, fantasy creatures...)

Another point might be that people had a different attitude to ark back then because it was still in early access, a lot of content was being added and people still had big hopes. Now many many people are disappointed because ark didnt turn out how they imagined it and it is still full of old and new bugs

Lack of pve threats is a big reason behind pvp toxicity. With no meaningful survival threats anymore, people turn on each other. The friendliest ark.servere i seen were back when i was playing with other beginners, back in days before gamma 5 and level 400 bred super dinos. The struggle to survive in this hostile alien environment brought people together. Now the environment is a joke, ark is like rust, purely pvp and all.tye assosiated problems that come with it.

I would make all wild dinos stronger and able.to damage structures like corrupted dinos. Also introduce a purge element like conan where titans, overseer drones, corrupted dino armies etc begin spawning and attacking tribes that reach tek tier. Of course this would not happen, because the hardcore pvp community do not actually want a survival game. 

My server has an outward appearance of friendlyness but it's run by overlords who hog the server up with old knowledge of the game.  They know where all the good stuff is.  They take newbs underwing and turn them into overlords in a few nights.  Then they taunt you if you don't join their click.  Kinda like being back in high school.  It helps not to talk in chat at all.  Try to stay to yourself and not communicate.  You help someone you can be sure they will stab you in the back later.  Literally, if you invite into tribe.  Since pvp dynamics are ever present in pve.

They taunt me because I like otters.  Got any otters lately statements that seem nice if read one way but not so much if read in context of how they treat me.  Yelling at me if I take up a tiny piece of land way off in some remote corner even tho they own all the main lands and important spots.  So no they are not being nice they are mocking. 

Now ever time I go near the otter spawn I disconnect and think they're hacking somehow and getting me to disconnect.

As much as I still enjoy ark, the best days were pre server transfers. No random bobs just popping on, placing 40 behemoth gates and stacking it full of rexes only to be seen once every 5 days for 10 seconds. 

The island knew which tribes had particular dinos and abilities and there was a much greater sense of community. When a tribe went crazy, the entire server rallied to sort them out, and they pulled back into line at they had no where else to go. 

Fun times. 

Mate the times you're talking bout late 2017 is when server host options appeared on xbox (nitrado) so all the chill communities currently on unofficial xbox (running on consoles) splintered and lost a few members who wanted to host themselves. The market for servers became flooded at that point with people hosting their own servers but unfortunately not caring for their players, which in turn soured the players who were playing causing them to become more trollish or quit.

It is a shame now as alot of players still want that nice community feeling but too few servers offer it in the huge number of servers available.

2 hours ago, Bruvas78 said:

As much as I still enjoy ark, the best days were pre server transfers. No random bobs just popping on, placing 40 behemoth gates and stacking it full of rexes only to be seen once every 5 days for 10 seconds. 

The island knew which tribes had particular dinos and abilities and there was a much greater sense of community. When a tribe went crazy, the entire server rallied to sort them out, and they pulled back into line at they had no where else to go. 

Fun times. 

Server transfer was the ''death of ARK''.

It was ''said'' as soon as it was hinted by wildcard,

it was ''guaranteed'' when they added a date to implement it.

it is now ''FACT'' that ARK is ruined having it in place.

ARK destroyed their own game. 

2 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Should WC destroyed their own official servers.

Perhaps it was intentional, less servers= less cost. Official servers numbers have slowly been whittled away.

Single player and unofficial communities are great.

It is true that so many people purchased the game when it was first out, like £27 i think upon initial release when I got it, not much revenue i bet and since then the community has dwindled away slowly due to their own incompetence and lack of experience building games and maintaining quality, servers will be costly but WildCard do one thing that REALLY annoys me and that is IGNORE THE FACTS from the community, We tell them what is wrong and they ignore it and release more content? they dont fix anything and publish the broken game on the android, Ios and Switch!? The most backwards company I have ever known. <--- Nearly at 'No Mans Sky' standards!

Ark used to be hundreds of island servers all showing 

server 1  -70/70 connected

server 2  -70/70 connected

server 3-  70/70 connected

server 4 - 70/70 connected

And I used to spend 30 minutes bashing join hoping to get in ! it was such a fun and magic experience and I could not get enough...

Now its dead.. rotten decomposed death!

Because they ignore us! fail improving quality and show ZERO acknowledgement on issues raised so far and reassure us things are being done about them. we are a community that PREY we are heard and hope for fixes, Wild Card sould be at least 1% decent and highlight them and show us they are working on them and tick them off each updated!

look at these we can all agree on and they done NOTHING!

Meshing! - still a thing

Map holes  -    everywhere

Disappearing dino's  - everyday

tickets - unanswered

Broken Meta dino's - untouched

disconnection issues - 24/7!

graphic flaws - everywhere

render issues - never changes

Lag Spikes - FML...

High ping - just play Rag...

GM response time - you die in real life before they help you

events - to far and few apart (breeding events are as rare as a ticket being answered) 

Shall we continue WildCard!? CHANGE YOUR ENTIRE PROGRAM WC!

32 minutes ago, Viperscopic said:

Nearly at 'No Mans Sky' standards!

This game has actually improved a lot.

I personally think PvE official should be discontinued....move to the unofficial realm. PvE requires babysitters to make players share land and tame slots. Just release the files, like legacy.

Speaking of Legacy, rip the bandaid off already. Biggest mistake ever.

Official servers should be PvP only in some form. Timed PvP servers, more types. All ORP servers should have alliances removed (loophole closed). Smaller clusters. There also should be more variety of timed wiping servers.

And lastly, there should be a subscriptions based teir of official servers with active admins.

Side note: I think SOTF should be developed again, and used to make money (similar to Fortnight with a cosmetic cash shop)

6 minutes ago, acat said:

And i agree to what you said about legac and sotf?

I feel bad for legacy players. But they are playing on borrowed time. A big game of musical chairs.

SOTF appeals to so many types of people and could easily be made to generate revenue.

The game was never as chill as you make it out to be... youre just living in nostalgia.

7 hours ago, FreelancerKnux said:

Mate the times you're talking bout late 2017 is when server host options appeared on xbox (nitrado) so all the chill communities currently on unofficial xbox (running on consoles) splintered and lost a few members who wanted to host themselves. The market for servers became flooded at that point with people hosting their own servers but unfortunately not caring for their players, which in turn soured the players who were playing causing them to become more trollish or quit.

It is a shame now as alot of players still want that nice community feeling but too few servers offer it in the huge number of servers available.

The times hes talking about it waaay before unoffials came out. When scorched was the only other server, before transfers. 

I explicitly remember back then people wiping others with lured rock elementals..wasnt as toxic free as Op Makes it

33 minutes ago, Viperscopic said:

WildCard did not take any responsibility for the server usage on PvP - Offline Raiders ruin Ark. 

Millions of ideas have been pushed infront of them to improve the game but meh.. they don't care

Seems its identical to Atlas from what i read.

I think the number of people being very critical of what they buy from Wildcard, Grapeshot, or even Snail games will just continue to increase.

WC needs to find a way to bring back players and player retention.

15 hours ago, QuinnJesus said:

In late 2016 and early 2017 ark was a simple game with the island,center, and scorched earth with one of the most vibrant community’s I’d ever seen. Servers were hosted by people who were willing to spend 200$ on a xbox just to run a server in which they could control with a couple admins, who were majority of the time great people. You could play for day in and day out interacting with players and they would be friendly other than the occasional sniper on the pillars of the center it was beautiful, servers had community centers and people were welcomed to join and have fun. You didn’t have it overly boosted so things took time increasing the longevity of the game and making everything a goal to pursue and cherish when achieved. Raids were an occasional thing with maybe a couple of tribes banding up to take down a bigger tribe but then once it was done you’d go separate ways but continue that bond and help each other back on their feet when raided. All around a wonderful community that your were willing to spend hours on and met some of our greatest online friends here. With all of the fooling around,knocking your friends out,the occasional shotgun damage test, and most importantly the excitement of preparing supply’s for a raid and planning out your approach. I loved this I would spend nearly my entire free time on this and in the summer would wake up at 11am to find my friends hard on the grind and would play with them until the early morning hours of the next day to do it all over. But in the past year and late 2017 the game has felt distant with lack of dedication from admins and little friendly relations amongst servers. I believe with the new content and fan base many never experienced this and don’t understand what Ark truly is this game is about the moments shared in it and when you can’t get past stone without being raided because of to boosted of server,losing interest due to such a lacking community, and even finding a server that you want to spend your time on. It turns the game to something distant that is just another download without real purpose theirs no goal anymore it’s just repetition of a long lost hope of the old days that leave you blank and not eager to play you and when you reminisce on the old times you eagerly hop back on but in under a hour the feeling fades away. This is why arks community needs to change for the better without a serious change of it though the game won’t die Ark itself will die it will be a mear game engine that plays a game similar to the once great game that made many people thousands of memories that they will never forget so I hope you all think about this and that something will change to make Ark Ark again.

Image result for brick wall of text

20 minutes ago, Demerus said:

Image result for brick wall of text

Just because you can't be bothered to read more than 3 lines of text doesn't mean you should quote this guy and mock him via some bastardized version of being a grammar nazi. Its annoying to those of us who happen to be capable of reading larger blocks of text just fine. Maybe instead ask the poster for cliff notes or an audio version for the reading impaired. Or of course practice your reading skills so you can choose to read what this person has to say. K, thanks!!!!

11 hours ago, Jemcrystal said:

They taunt me because I like otters.  Got any otters lately statements that seem nice if read one way but not so much if read in context of how they treat me. 

So no they are not being nice they are mocking. 

Now ever time I go near the otter spawn I disconnect and think they're hacking somehow and getting me to disconnect.

I’m sorry but that is hilarious :P !! Try not to take it personally

I hate playing online. Can never do anything. Level 100 comes around kills you, gets you sick, and destroys a thatch house. For what? So I leave the server? I've had to start over on I don't know, 30+ servers because I can't make it past level 35 without getting annoyed with the raping all the time and my WOOD house being destroyed countless times. And now that the keyboard function doesn't work because of the update I can't even chat with people on the server. Looks like this has become an offline game for me. So sad

9 minutes ago, Whipples said:

Just because you can't be bothered to read more than 3 lines of text doesn't mean you should quote it and mock them via some bastardized version of being a grammar nazi. Its annoying to those of us who happen to be capable of reading larger blocks of text just fine. Maybe instead ask the poster for cliff notes or an audio version for the reading impaired. K, thanks!!!!

I can see you are upset thats ok just breathe it will all be over soon. I agree with the OP and i feel ark has changed quite a bit since it went full release. Some would argue it is still in early access and I would agree with them in certain things but that is another story for another day. I would love to see players work together and have commeraderie but what can you do when you live in a shoe? WC provides a servicesses for us all to enjoy with our friends, family loved ones, aunts uncles children , parents, friends of lovers. We all use it for free without subscriptionz and lyke many other online games can have good aspects and bad aspects to it. The bad is logging in to abuse and that is sad also but it can be fixed. You ask your neighbour why yuou hate me so much? He can reply and say you build on his land and he dont lyke you but lets be serious sometimes players do things and it can be very frustrating. Some like otters while others like beavers and farming beaver dams but no dams and no otters and no beavers. This is very upsetting for many players because they cant do what they like to do because some other tribe is building near these spawn zones and nobody is able to police it. if you play on legacy server there is no support so not much can be done on those serber but when you play official ticket times can take weeks sometimes months until GM reply. This makes players very upset and they cry and I don't like to see people's tears it makes the game experiences very unenjoyablistic and thats not good you know? I agree things should change and players should change we should all change for the better and treat everyone equal and love eachother and life and game to the fullest every day for eternity and maybe one day ark will be great again I think. Most player hope for this day to come when they can log into a new server after buying the game on sale and thinking i want to enjoy everything ark has to offer without dealing with other players. Well they are in for a big surprise so they log into server create character and spend about 30 mins making all body proportions and face just right. Then they crash. So have to do it all over again. Very mad indeed. So they do it all over again and finally spawn on the beach somewhere but they are inside an enemy structure or anothersome tribe and they ask hey can you release me? please friend? i want to play the gamez. can help plox? but nobody answer for 3 hours. all global chat say to shut up dont wine but you are stuck and need help. sometimes players come and they hel;p you but others say do it yourself or dont answer or it is [][][][][] who knows what this means? [][][][][][][] I don't do you? It s difficult to learn languages of [][][][] and cant copy global chat so it hard. I like to usz googlale translation for helping to ask quetion if i dont speak [][][][][]/ so back to spawn in base story. if you get out of base finally you spawn in a are not inside a base or fence. You go to beach and is nice llocation you farm thatch structures but you cant place them too close to enemey foundations. you ask why csnt aI build here? too many pillar ebverytwhere. I dont like it I am very angry you know? So I complain why nowhere to build? The server has been running for over 1 year but i just joined and I expect to build everywhere. Surely no other players would thing to build where I like to build. But my dreams get crushed,. all spot taken so im upset. I go to hard area, giga eats me and my pet dilo. I cry hard because it took a long time to tame that dilo and dodo. then tame cap hits. I try to tame another dilo but says too many creaturas on this ark. people yelling at chat DONT TAME THAT DLO I say i should be able to tame whatever I want. They say no you cant. I left server, and unistalled game. I can't take it anymore. Very bad ecperience.

22 minutes ago, NYChiver said:

I hate playing online. Can never do anything. Level 100 comes around kills you, gets you sick, and destroys a thatch house. For what? So I leave the server? I've had to start over on I don't know, 30+ servers because I can't make it past level 35 without getting annoyed with the raping all the time and my WOOD house being destroyed countless times. And now that the keyboard function doesn't work because of the update I can't even chat with people on the server. Looks like this has become an offline game for me. So sad

Are you sure it's an update that removed your ability to chat?

Archived