crossplay? Nintendo Switch crossplay?

DualSilentTj

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, mattj said:

I reeeeeeally like the fact that we don’t have to share servers with those dbags. We can have room to ourselves right now.

I agree lol, I think it's great for new players too. It allows them to have more confidence in being able to progress in the game without a bunch of experienced players to kill  them immediately.

• 3 months later...

I’m following Ark news during the last 2 expecting to play it with my best friend. I play it on Xbox, and my friend play it on PS4. Abou 1 year ago I read that’s Sony was blocking cross play, but in December I read that Fortnite started the cross play... some months ago Rocket League... I'd really appreciate if it comes to Ark. I would pay for it. 

The versions are pretty different, for instance Switch Ark uses the old Kibble chart & with maps & additional DLC absent on the Switch version, there are engrams, resources & creatures missing. If PVP was your thing  the other consoles also have a better draw distance so you couldnt "see" as far with the Switch version. Frame rate is slower as well. It also frequently has the "grass to glass" glitch, that- while it eventually leads to a crash and lends itself to the Switch being the most unstable version out there- negates any ability to hide in the environment....this applies to bases as well as characters.  Switch players, with the game operating as is, would be a a significant disadvantage when playing with other consoles

I feel like there is a significant amount of work to be done improving the Switch version of Ark before this would be even a remote possibility let alone enjoyable....that's assuming it can even be done. Maybe pixel ark would be a better bet for crossplay assuming it would actually be supported. I know Minecraft supports crossplay & it looks to be a similar experience with assets that look somewhat the same from one version to another. 

Archived