need explanations regarding resource respawn in solo mode

dodogal

I'm having real issues finding any metal now in solo mode.

I know that when you log off the map and all counters are frozen and I have no problem with that

I know nodes don't respawn near structures and I have no problem with that

BUT, I've been playing solo for months and I couldn't get a  single metal node to respawn without cheat, why? ?

I have two questions that require a very accurate answer (no guess please, guesses don't help and just generate more confusion)

1. are respawn counters frozen during stasis? (that would explain why nothing respawns)

2. do respawn counters  use real time or in game days (in later case extending length of days would affect the respawn rate)

I think I'm experiencing the very same problem you are on my own The Island map -- metal, obsidian, and crystal nodes I've harvested before have stopped respawning. The closest thing I have found to an answer is that on Singleplayer and non-dedicated servers, these resource nodes will stop respawning completely if you've harvested them and then logged off before they had a chance to respawn.

As far as your two other questions,

1. No, resource respawn is not affected by being too far away - in fact, quite the opposite, as there's a certain (customizable, as per the menu sliders) distance that you have to be away from any resource before it will respawn. Certain types of resources also have different tolerances for how close you can be, and the adjustable slider is just a multiplier for this distance.

2. I don't think there's any sort of a concrete number for these timers, so there is no way of judging what value the game bases it off of. For metal nodes on default rates, it should take a couple real-life hours, but just like for 1. different resources have different intervals and the menu slider is just a multiplier and not the rate itself.

From what I've found, there aren't really a whole lot of options to get them to come back. Some people have reported turning the resource respawn interval to 0 (resources will respawn instantly) will fix it, while others have said that the Re-Fertilizer Revisited mod (can't remember author's name) works to regrow them. If you're unlucky like me, and neither of those things worked, then you're going to have to find other mountains to mine.

1. Yes. If nodes (on single player only..) are in stasis when harvested they seem to have a high chance of being bugged. You fix it by setting resource respawn to fastest, then going into spectator over said spawn and enabling slomo to speed up time, this sort of answers your second question aswell as its ingame time passing faster not real life

WAIT A MOMENT !

200.gif

You're telling me one of the most important CORE mechanics of the game has been broken for years and not fixed yet? And we have to cheat anytime we need to farm more resources? Are you serious?

Why nobody's filing a proper report to get this fixed then? It should be in their top priority list. This is no minor bug, we are talking about one of the most important core mechanics.

200w.gif?cid=3640f6095c57e96055763352674

4 hours ago, dodogal said:

You're telling me one of the most important CORE mechanics of the game has been broken for years and not fixed yet? And we have to cheat anytime we need to farm more resources? Are you serious?

I'm fairly certain that this has been known about for a long time and probably been reported multitudes of times... if not, then we're in a strange situation here.

You don't need to cheat in order to farm more resources; like I said, you can either use a mod (which could be considered cheating - but I'd check the mod out for yourself), change the in-game sliders (totally legit, you can change them back when you're done), or if what @d1nk said works, do that. If you want to do everything without the aid of mods or console commands, then you're gonna have to find other mountains to mine from. You can also get metal, crystal, and obsidian from caves, but obviously that's much more dangerous.

The only thing I know for sure is that from now on when I start a new world, I'm not gonna be mining any valuable resources right before I get off...

On 2/4/2019 at 4:41 AM, e4envy said:

1. No, resource respawn is not affected by being too far away - in fact, quite the opposite, as there's a certain (customizable, as per the menu sliders) distance that you have to be away from any resource before it will respawn. Certain types of resources also have different tolerances for how close you can be, and the adjustable slider is just a multiplier for this distance.

The option itself is not a proof or guarantee that stasis doesn't block respawn.

Check this pic : lBOdPp9.png

If respawn counters are blocked in stasis that would explain why nothing respawns far from you even after +100 hours in the game. While it takes only 2 hours at most in PVP. And that would be consistent with dino food counters being frozen in stasis., which doesn't happen in PVP.

I really think we should investigate the core issue without making any guess.

Ultimately there is a real and major gameplay problem for solo players, after a while it becomes extremely hard to find any metal node without cheating. This is a major bug that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Terrible isn’t it? This happened to me recently. Didn’t realise it was a thing as I’d only played on unofficial servers before.

You’ve got to set your timers and respawn radius to 0.1, and don’t log out before the resources respawn. Also, hibernation settings help.

Some kind soul on here posted a fix for me to get the resources back. This did make about half of them respawn. You could try it:

Set the 4 different resource settings to 0.01

Go to affected area. Stick a bed and and chest down. Put all your gear in the chest.

Admin command – cheat enablespectator

Admin command – cheat slomo 20

Now fly a good distance away, wait a minute, and fly back.

Resources should have hopefully respawned

Admin command – cheat slomo 1

Admin command – cheat disablespectator

Respawn at bed. Log off. Then set all the resource settings to 0.1

Yeah, metal runs can be a bit cheaty now, but it’s as good as it gets unfortunately.

2 hours ago, dodogal said:

The option itself is not a proof or guarantee that stasis doesn't block respawn.

Check this pic : lBOdPp9.png

If respawn counters are blocked in stasis that would explain why nothing respawns far from you even after +100 hours in the game. While it takes only 2 hours at most in PVP. And that would be consistent with dino food counters being frozen in stasis., which doesn't happen in PVP.

I really think we should investigate the core issue without making any guess.

Ultimately there is a real and major gameplay problem for solo players, after a while it becomes extremely hard to find any metal node without cheating. This is a major bug that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Except that stasis doesn't always block resource respawn. I've played the entirety of my 1000 hours on Singleplayer/non-dedicated and I've traveled all the way across the map and back after harvesting things and found them to have regrown; just recently I've gone all the way from the Western Approach, just where the Redwoods meets the Swamp, to Far's Peak to mine metal and obsidian because that's the only place I can find those resources en masse anymore. And no, I don't have my respawn rate set at extremely low numbers so it in no way would've respawned in the time it took for me to leave the "respawn zone". Speaking of, do we actually know how accurate that picture is in its information, or what the actual distances are other than an arbitrary graphic?

Out of all the things I've looked up what I commonly found is what I described earlier, where people would say that metal/crystal/obsidian would stop respawning if they logged out before it had a chance to respawn. That, too, is obviously a game problem that needs to be fixed.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, e4envy said:

Speaking of, do we actually know how accurate that picture is in its information, or what the actual distances are other than an arbitrary graphic?

Yes it's arbitrary, just to give an idea of what I mean, and the radius depends on your settings.

The point is my theory about this whole mess is things only respawn in that white area, not too close and not too far.

That is the only logical explanation regarding the difference between pvp and solo respawn.

pvp metal nodes takes two hours at most to respawn, but in solo if you spend 100 hours in the south, nothing will respawn in the north

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:24 AM, dodogal said:

Yes it's arbitrary, just to give an idea of what I mean, and the radius depends on your settings.

The point is my theory about this whole mess is things only respawn in that white area, not too close and not too far.

That is the only logical explanation regarding the difference between pvp and solo respawn.

pvp metal nodes takes two hours at most to respawn, but in solo if you spend 100 hours in the south, nothing will respawn in the north

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that why won't resources regrow even if you come back into the respawn area? I'd understand if their regrowth is halted if it's in the "stasis zone" but why would it not resume when you enter the white area again? I pulled mainly from two mountains for each of my two base spots on my Island game, and the resources there always came back until suddenly they didn't, no matter where I went or where I stayed. Out of what I've heard, the only thing I can think of that would cause this is that the respawning breaks if you log off before they have a chance to regrow.

Maybe this is all a mixture of both ideas or something else entirely, but I don't think we'll ever really know until we get some sort of fix from the devs or someone tests it out themselves. Maybe we'd be able to find a solution with a bug report, if it hasn't already been reported and ignored already...

1 hour ago, e4envy said:

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that why won't resources regrow even if you come back into the respawn area? I'd understand if their regrowth is halted if it's in the "stasis zone" but why would it not resume when you enter the white area again? I pulled mainly from two mountains for each of my two base spots on my Island game, and the resources there always came back until suddenly they didn't, no matter where I went or where I stayed. Out of what I've heard, the only thing I can think of that would cause this is that the respawning breaks if you log off before they have a chance to regrow.

Maybe this is all a mixture of both ideas or something else entirely, but I don't think we'll ever really know until we get some sort of fix from the devs or someone tests it out themselves. Maybe we'd be able to find a solution with a bug report, if it hasn't already been reported and ignored already...

It has been, for a long time. Honestly your best bet to get a dev reply is on Reddit. You seem to be able to articulate well, try making a post and tagging Chris in comments. (I think hes wcchris reddit handle?) @Chris Maybe he can give us some insight here :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 12:23 AM, e4envy said:

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that why won't resources regrow even if you come back into the respawn area? I'd understand if their regrowth is halted if it's in the "stasis zone" but why would it not resume when you enter the white area again?

The broken nodes is an entirely different problem.

I have confirmed on my end that broken nodes issue by using re-fertilizer on the exact location where a tree is supposed to be (I used screenshot comparison of the ground to make sure I was at the exact pixel location) and the tree didn't reappear.

But that's an entirely different problem from the hibernation freezing respawn counters until you get close enough.

Both of these issues occur on solo mode only (never experienced it in pvp)  and break the respawn mechanics.

Now that the staff has time to work on bug fixes , all we need is someone to files a proper report and get the attention of the devs, which is the hardest part considering the amount of community nonsense they have to dig through. :(

Archived