How was Earth destroyed?

e4envy

Ever since Extinction came out and we've known all about the purpose of the ARKs, I've always wondered... what exactly destroyed Earth to lead to Extinction?

Since a couple of my friends got the game a month or so ago, we started from the beginning on The Island and now we're finally waiting for a time when we can all come together to Ascend. I'd already ascended once but figured I'd come back and wait for us all to move on to Scorched Earth, so that's as far as I've gotten. I collected all of The Island's explorer notes and that is basically all I know of the story so far.

Does the answer to my question lie on Extinction itself, in its own explorer notes? Will I find out in the future what it was that led to the whole premise of ARK: Survival Evolved, or are we only given pieces of the lore information? I'm not really looking for spoilers if the former, just more of a confirmation.

Also.. be it related or not, what makes the King Titan so special? Why is he the King of Shadows? How did he come to lord over Earth; was he a creation of the ARKs like all of the creatures we encounter, or was he the reason that this is all happening in the first place?

25 minutes ago, Royalstar said:

The explorer notes on Extinction don’t always tell us directly, but yes, the reason for Earth’s “destruction” (as you put it) and the origin of the titans is given in the notes.

Alright, perfect! That's honestly just what I wanted to hear. Now, to spend/wait 2 months to actually progress to Extinction :P 

Is the game "Lore" collected anywhere, and does it actually make some sense?  I know when it started there really wasn't "lore" so much as "we're gonna make a cool game with dinosaurs and stuff" but then they tacked a story on, but then as the game grew they built a story into it. 

But if there is a story now I'd be interested in reading it.

4 hours ago, HavenDuuk said:

Is the game "Lore" collected anywhere, and does it actually make some sense?  I know when it started there really wasn't "lore" so much as "we're gonna make a cool game with dinosaurs and stuff" but then they tacked a story on, but then as the game grew they built a story into it. 

If you haven't, just go to wiki and read the Explorer notes, especially Helena, Mei yin, Rockwell, Nerva, Diana and Santiago.

You'll have the immersed feel and brief understanding of what's going on in Arkverse.

Theres no official version of collected/narrative lore or story of the Ark as far as I'm aware of. However there are many fan created/speculated stories out there.

4 hours ago, HavenDuuk said:

There is a story, while you can find every last explorer note and then read them, it might be simpler to just read them on the wiki. Here’s the link: https://ark.gamepedia.com/Explorer_Notes#Notes_from_ARK_Survivors scroll down to “notes from ark survivors” and there you have it. To read them in chronological order, read the notes from Helena, Mei-Yin, Rockwell, Nerva, and ??? (that’s what it’s called) first, than move on to Raia and Dahkeya, than Diana, than Boris/Emilia/Rusty/Imamu/Trent/Skye, than finally Santiago and “the one who waits”. Also, for Helena, Rockwell, Mei-Yin, and Diana, their notes span several maps, so the maps should be read in this order: the Island, Scorched Earth, Aberration, Extinction. In other words, read Helena’s Island notes, but don’t continue reading til you’ve finished all the notes from every character on the Island. Same for the other maps.

Idk if you already knew all this, but it sounds like you’ve never read the lore, and as you only get it by piecing together the content of the explorer notes, I thought it might be helpful to have a sense of chronology before you jump into it blindly. 

I'm familiar with the game itself and knew about the ascention order, so that was basically what I was looking for.  I was hoping the explorer notes were compiled and was hoping that the Explorer notes were a coherent story and not just a "kind of" story.

I guess my question was "Did they weave a real story into the game, and is it a decent story?"

Archived