Anyone else scared to engage?

Peteed1

Does anyone else kinda get scared because they don't know what they can handle so they don't even try? I mean I have 8 dire wolves but I won't attack anything more than one enemy at a time and only herbivores that I know I can beat solo  I have no idea if these wolves could handle a carnotaurus or 2 mammoth herd, trex or what, and given what it takes to actually tame something I kinda don't want to risk losing them.

Another thing is I need metal or other items like obsidian but they are so far from my base and idk the exact location just the rough area so I worry about losing all my tames trying to get there but without resources I can't progress

I used to be very scared, yes. My pet of choice was dimorphodons, and I’m very attached to anything I tame / breed. The best advice I can give you is:

- Do your research. I’m sure if you check YouTube you can probably find videos of people testing a wolf pack under various conditions. It helped me gain more confidence in my birds...especially after an early nerf. It took a lot of research and a lot of numbers before I was really comfortable.

- More is better. I handle microraptors too, and the pack bonus is definitely something to take advantage of.

- Set goals. Consider where you are and what you’d consider the next tier and make the attempt. As scary as it is you have to push yourself a little bit at a time, or stay stuck forever.

As for resource runs, I would advise against a long trek on land. I’d get yourself a flier and put weight and stamina into it and make a series of trips by air instead of trying to get it all at once with a caravan. Way less logistics and less to lose if it goes south.

12 minutes ago, LadyCrescent said:

I used to be very scared, yes. My pet of choice was dimorphodons, and I’m very attached to anything I tame / breed. The best advice I can give you is:

- Do your research. I’m sure if you check YouTube you can probably find videos of people testing a wolf pack under various conditions. It helped me gain more confidence in my birds...especially after an early nerf. It took a lot of research and a lot of numbers before I was really comfortable.

- More is better. I handle microraptors too, and the pack bonus is definitely something to take advantage of.

- Set goals. Consider where you are and what you’d consider the next tier and make the attempt. As scary as it is you have to push yourself a little bit at a time, or stay stuck forever.

As for resource runs, I would advise against a long trek on land. I’d get yourself a flier and put weight and stamina into it and make a series of trips by air instead of trying to get it all at once with a caravan. Way less logistics and less to lose if it goes south.

Sadly the area I have to search for the metal is all under trees so I haven't been able to find it :( I need to find metal in the north west just south of the ice part but even though I know there's some on the wiki resource map directly east of me I can't find it. With the amount I need it's not viable to fly all the way to south spawn 2 where I know metal is :( 

If you have 8 wolves, they will definitely be able to take on a carnotaurus. If you've leveled them up and put their points into health and melee, you might even be able to take on a low level rex. Aside from that, tamed animals will usually always outdo wild ones of the same type or around. Having eight of them at once? That's the fundamentals of operating as a pack. That's how animals in real life take down prey much larger than themselves.

I'm not sure what rates you have, so I don't know how high you can get your tames' health. Usually, 10k HP will give you enough health to win most battles or get away from them if things start turning south. But like I said, if you have 8 wolves with leveled health and melee, 10k each might be overkill.

As far as getting metal, obsidian, and crystal goes, they are most plentiful and guaranteed on the tops of mountains. Like @LadyCrescent said, never ever make long resource trips by land. Your best friend on The Island will be a weight and stamina leveled Argentavis. Your first one doesn't even need to be a high level, just something that can fly you to the nearest mountain. Be warned, though, that mountains usually contain more deadly animals around their base; more often than not the actual peaks, where most of the resources are, will be relatively less populated.

Get an ugly pelegornis.  Saddle it.  Go to Herb Island.  Tame ugly pters.  Saddle them.  Have them follow the Peleg or line them up to follow each other with the lead following the peleg.  Wash rinse repeat until you have four or five legions of these.  Feed them only fish or your Peleg will starve.  They all eat fish.  If they die in battle who cares they were stupid pters easy to tame just get more.

1) the easiest kibble to make in the game tames pters.  Dodo eggs makes the kibble to tame pters.  Insanely easy so no loss if they die.  Might make you angry for a bit but it's no real loss.

2) Peleg's can land on water so less chance of getting pounced.  Five pters can easy kill crocks.  One peleg can easy kill paronia.  Do note tho that alpha raptors are quick swimmers so always keep the eyes open.

3) Fly up to mountain tops (watch stamina) and mine.  Alternative get an argie (tho you might get attached).

Tame anything important call it a breeder and hide it in a breeding pen/house never let it see the light of day.

You don't need a wiki (map TheIsland) just get a flyer and go up to the top of mountains.  If there are no nodes up top highest mt peaks (fly close enough to render them in) then someone else is mining and got there before you did.  Try another mountain.  USE A FLYER.  You need the vantage point of the sky to get anything done.  That is TheIsland Map tho idk about there other maps maybe they have something else that is needed.

If still no luck suggest you run a play through on single player and learn where all the nodes are that way.  No one farming them besides you give you a chance to get used to their locations.

1 hour ago, Peteed1 said:

Yeah that's how I know that it's close but I can't find it in game when I go there...

sometimes there will be structures which prevent resources from spawning. When I first started I had a hard time on island official. Maybe go on single player and learn the map that way. Ragnorak has a bunch of easy resources

Alternatively, you could tame an anklo and harvest any old rock with it.  Gives you a smaller amount of metal ore than mountain hunting, but still better than what you'd get otherwise with a pick.  I tame an ank on Herb Island and set to follow it a bunch of tek Para's.  Then I can harvest all of Herb.  But I got lucky on an Beg-Official server that wants to share Herb with everyone.  Good people.  There is even a real pretty lighthouse; should win some art construction reward if this game has such.

12 hours ago, Peteed1 said:

Does anyone else kinda get scared because they don't know what they can handle so they don't even try? I mean I have 8 dire wolves but I won't attack anything more than one enemy at a time and only herbivores that I know I can beat solo  I have no idea if these wolves could handle a carnotaurus or 2 mammoth herd, trex or what, and given what it takes to actually tame something I kinda don't want to risk losing them.

Another thing is I need metal or other items like obsidian but they are so far from my base and idk the exact location just the rough area so I worry about losing all my tames trying to get there but without resources I can't progress

All the tames are so op when max level I don't really fear losing them , I'm more surprised than anything. Mostly high level bred tames only die to dc and lag.

Wolves are kind of weak with no saddle but a 150 tame should be able to run the whole island and eat everything exept alphas and gigas

Archived