Contrary to popular belief Dimeatrons do NOT have to be in water to lay eggs

20GT

1 hour ago, Ottomaggic said:

I've had mine floating in the water for awhile and I don't go out there often enough to see any eggs I suppose because I've gotten nada. I'll definitely try the floaty trick. Thank you for the pro-tip.

If you want more dimo eggs, turn off your AC, place crop plots (or float) and use them as your main incubator. You will get more eggs since the acs are usually in your main area :P 

2 hours ago, Swampeh said:

It must have been changed then. I tested it pretty extensively with my friend on a private server with the egg laying rate turned up. No matter what was done they didn't lay eggs unless they were picked up by a quetz or floating in water. It's good they changed it though cos it was really annoying

It was never a thing. Only a rumour when they came out, we never put dimetrodos in water and always had eggs. Nothings changed in that regards (and ive been around since they were introduced)

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Swampeh said:

It must have been changed then. I tested it pretty extensively with my friend on a private server with the egg laying rate turned up. No matter what was done they didn't lay eggs unless they were picked up by a quetz or floating in water. It's good they changed it though cos it was really annoying

They have higher chance to lay an egg if they are in water, but they always laid eggs anywhere. The only problem is that the eggs will spawn inside their body and they are not visible unless you use the orbital view to look under them and move them to pick them up. Floating is indeed the best approach for them since the eggs will falls to the ground for you to pick up:

The screenshot I posted in that thread was taken on officials early last year, and you can see 5 eggs for I believe 7 females and 1 male it was. You can also see there is 3 eggs from the same female. If you are wondering how is that possible, well, it is not well known but, if you park your females into a "Wilderness" area, they have high chance to lay an egg whenever they go out of stasis (re-render your base, collect, repeat). You will often see yourself having 6 eggs (the maximum in render) per species whenever you re-render. ?

Must have been an extremely low chance then. 2 years ago when I tested on a private server with a friend with the egg laying rate up ridiculously high no matter what we did the dimetrodon did not lay eggs unless they were floating(yes, not hidden under them either). As soon as they were picked up by a quetzal(in floating position) you'd see them poop out egg cap in the air. :D But yeah, now it seems to be changed.

Archived