Formula for dino level?

Nuggie

You should use a program like smart breeder to verify, but essentially it is a sum of all points towards each stat the dino received. 

Say you have a dino that is level 2. Then it will have a point invested in a random stat: all its stats will be base, plus one stat with an extra point. Therefore the dino is level 2. Now lets say you breed it with another dino with a single point in another stat, and their baby inherits the extra point from both the dad and the mom. it will be level 3. 

Sometimes, the level increase will have no noticeable effect: this is because the point was invested in the speed stat, which doesnt increase and is a wasted point. 

In general a 150 tame will have 20-30 points in each stat including speed. Sites like the wiki will help determine what "one point" translates into each stat. Often times it's experience, but for example generally dinos with 343% melee have 37 or 38 points thus have that many extra levels from melee.

Your best friend is the smart breeder app, you can use the export option on the options wheel of your dino and the app will tell you what is your point investment. Aim for 40+ points in each stat for a good breed

1 hour ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Say you have a dino that is level 2. Then it will have a point invested in a random stat: all its stats will be base, plus one stat with an extra point. Therefore the dino is level 2. Now lets say you breed it with another dino with a single point in another stat, and their baby inherits the extra point from both the dad and the mom. it will be level 3. 

This is probably the part I wasn't understanding. That and not being able to figure out the wasted movement points.

Another question: when people on the trading forums say they have a (for example) 50 point melee dino, does that mean 50 points when it hatches or 50 points after it gains however many points during the maturation process (I'm not talking imprinting and hp raise. Seems like the argies I've raised gain melee not related to imprinting)? Or am I just crazy?

1 hour ago, Nuggie said:

This is probably the part I wasn't understanding. That and not being able to figure out the wasted movement points.

Because you are thinking about levels when you should be thinking status points. Base level is a sum of status points wild dino spent in its stats (including bonus levels it gets upon taming). When you mate 2 tamed dinos their offspring will inherit either father's status points into some stat or mother's - there is no in-betweens, repeat for each stat. The resulting level of the offspring will be the sum of stat points inherited from its parents.

Speed is called "wasted stat" for breeding because it does literally nothing other than waste stat points on wild/freshly tamed dinos - they have 0% increase per point spent in speed.

1 hour ago, Nuggie said:

Another question: when people on the trading forums say they have a (for example) 50 point melee dino, does that mean 50 points when it hatches or 50 points after it gains however many points during the maturation process (I'm not talking imprinting and hp raise. Seems like the argies I've raised gain melee not related to imprinting)? Or am I just crazy?

There are a few things that change during baby growth, but none of them add any additional stat points to the dino.  Once hatched, if a baby has 50 points in melee, that will stay the same forever.

First is Taming Effectiveness, all babies are born with 100% for the purpose of stat calculations, meaning that they may have a higher damage % even though they have the same number of stat points as their parents.  This is only noticeable with babies born from freshly tamed dinos as any that you raised from eggs will always have 100% taming effectiveness.

Second is imprinting, which increases max HP and gives a damage and armor buff to the owner when ridden.

And that's about it, nothing else affects your dino's stats once their born except for random mutations, which will add 2 points to a random stat.

4 hours ago, Nuggie said:

Maturation process does not increase stats, they come with 50 points right out of the box. Generally speaking 50 points in melee gets you around 400%-420% depending on the dino. It will be born with that stat

By the way, to determine points on a tamed dino never use an app like dododex, it will give you a value that is much higher than what it actually is because it is only valid for wild untamed dinos.

Archived