quetzal Been looking for a quetzal for over 10 hours.

Helichopper

So, me and my friends have been playing on a non dedicated private ark world, and have logged about 50 hours on it, we set up our main base next to the red obelisk with tames in it, and been around the map about 15 times in search of quetzals, is there anything that is preventing us from finding a quetzal after all this time? Or just a string of bad luck

At one point for me the Quetzals were not being rendered to me, so I had to get "closer" to the sky to see them or be right below one and a reasonable altitude. 

Mind you that they don't fly that high, just higher than the average flyer.  Also, I almost always find one by the Red Obelisk, or while traveling from the Red to the Green Obelisk.

EDIT: Just remember there is also one around the west of the redwoods.

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

6 minutes ago, Martellus said:

At one point for me the Quetzals were not being rendered to me, so I had to get "closer" to the sky to see them or be right below one and a reasonable altitude. 

Mind you that they don't fly that high, just higher than the average flyer.  Also, I almost always find one by the Red Obelisk, or while traveling from the Red to the Green Obelisk.

EDIT: Just remember there is also one around the west of the redwoods.

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

Will me having a base at the red obelisk prevent them from spawning there?

36 minutes ago, Helichopper said:

I am playing on THE ISLAND

No it isnt. Your base is fine. Always check from the middle of the 3 big mountains (volc. Frozen fang, obsidian mtn) then work out. 

When they get close to mountains (especially back of volcano and obsidian mtn) they fly a lot higher because they fly a certain distance from ground and the mountains slope up very slowly

If youve looked already, always head back to 5050, they naturually fly towards it then back track. They have dedicated spawns so there "just isnt one spawned" its just not where youve looked :P 

Archived