Idk maybe the games just not for me 95 hours in and no idea how to progress

Peteed1

Maybe ark just isn't for me idk, I love dinosaurs but theres no way to progress because everything I try to do to progress I die which loses me all my items and I spend all my time trying to refarm stuff instead of progressing and making new stuff.

Can't fly anywhere because the moment I land to regen stamina on flyer I get killed because nowhere is safe to land and any time I walk out or ride out on ground mounts I run into theri's or raptors or rexs or spinosaurs within minutes of leaving base and they block my way so i'm basically a prisoner in my base area. Carnivores are just way too common for me to make any progress  

Nothing seems to be getting any better or easier to do :( got like 50 engrams for saddles I could unlock and make right now but no point since I can't tame any of those with how squishy I am and how many attacks I have to do to down one with crossbow or gun and no dinos seem to help with taming since they kill stuff instead of knocking out stuff out. Currently on the island but would prefer to play aberration or extinction or even scorched earth because I love cave exploration and aberration is like a big cave system I think, I love dragons and I love computers/technology but those maps are even harder 

One thing that would be nice is if you could turn down the spawn rate just for carnivores so there was like 1/2 or 1/3 of the current numbers. As far as I can tell theres a dino count setting but that is all dinos not just carnivores :( 

1 hour ago, Peteed1 said:

Maybe ark just isn't for me idk, I love dinosaurs but theres no way to progress because everything I try to do to progress I die which loses me all my items and I spend all my time trying to refarm stuff instead of progressing and making new stuff.

Can't fly anywhere because the moment I land to regen stamina on flyer I get killed because nowhere is safe to land and any time I walk out or ride out on ground mounts I run into theri's or raptors or rexs or spinosaurs within minutes of leaving base and they block my way so i'm basically a prisoner in my base area. Carnivores are just way too common for me to make any progress  

Nothing seems to be getting any better or easier to do :( got like 50 engrams for saddles I could unlock and make right now but no point since I can't tame any of those with how squishy I am and how many attacks I have to do to down one with crossbow or gun and no dinos seem to help with taming since they kill stuff instead of knocking out stuff out. Currently on the island but would prefer to play aberration or extinction or even scorched earth because I love cave exploration and aberration is like a big cave system I think, I love dragons and I love computers/technology but those maps are even harder 

High movement speed is going to be your best friend early on. Be smart and shoot at things from cliffs or get them stuck in tress etc. Flying is by far the safest way to travel, just don't blindly land without checking for threats first. Ark has alot of dying early on, and as long as you learn what you did wrong and prepare better next time you will master the island and can move on to the harder DLC maps you mentioned.

13 minutes ago, Peteed1 said:

One thing that would be nice is if you could turn down the spawn rate just for carnivores so there was like 1/2 or 1/3 of the current numbers. As far as I can tell theres a dino count setting but that is all dinos not just carnivores :( 

Ark isnt for the feint of heart. You will lose a lot, often and very easily. It is a survival game after all.

What you describe is the feeling any of us current players dream to have again. Enjoy it! Once you get a few tames its easy. You need to plan your landing routes if flying. Land ontop a big rock or briefly on a beach. Try to scan the area for raptors first

Did you build a trap yet? It's much easier to tame higher lvl dinos when they are trapped. Look for Inspiration on youtube. If you're on the beach you can even try a boat trap instead of a stationary one, just don't move away from the shore, or a leed might destroy your raft 

Check out the dododex app or Website if you don't use it already. It will show prefered food and taming times of dinos.

It's normal to die often and lose stuff. Don't run to your base to hide from aggressive dinos, so your building stays safe. Set up a wall or at least spikes to keep away wilds from your house and tames. 

Work on collecting eggs for kibble to tame better dinos (dododex will tell you what you need, kibble rework is coming soon though).

I really like iguanodons and female megaloceros for early game taming. Get a few of them - you can shoot from their back to tranq wilds without taking too much dmg yourself. Iguanodons are not that bad at collecting berries and thatch either.

Trap a few raptors, they are easy tames. Awesome for hide and meat farming, with pack buff and mate boost they are great for early base defense.

Ankylosaurs are great for metal farming, doedicurus for stone, and both are easy tames. An argentavis can carry them. A trike is food for berries, a little bit of thatch and wood in the beginning, and is a better fighter than you might expect.

For pvp there might be other priorities :)

Don’t land anywhere without checking your surroundings first, try landing on a large boulder or a ledge on a cliff face. 

Where is your base? It sounds like you’re in a pretty dangerous area. If you’re looking for a safe place to live, go to herbivore island southeast of the mainland. Getting there and back is a bit of a hassle, you’ll need a raft and/or a flyer with good stamina, but there’s lots of metal. 

Regardless of where your base is (unless it’s on herbivore island), I highly recommend you don’t wander too far without either a flyer or a strong land mount. It doesn’t have to be anything crazy, for the southern spawn areas a high level trike with decent melee and health should be able to protect you from even low level carnotaurs, heck even my parasaur saved me from a pair of raptors lol. 

As for taming, build a stone taming pen. You can kite creatures in there or pick em up with an argent, then tame them in safety. Otherwise focus most of your level ups into speed, with enough you can outrun almost any creature. 

Technically there are creatures that can knock other out, you can set them to only attack conscious targets, but I don’t know how good they are at doing so.

Good luck!

yeah I'm new to ARK and have learned from the beginning to use stealth, think before you act and be aware of your surroundings and your capabilities. running from a fight or not even engaging is the best advise. SURVIVAL is the NAME of the game here as it is hardcore survival not for the feint of heart casual gamer. Leveling in movement, health, stamina and food/water are the primary perks to increase first along with crafting....as for damage dealing forget about it at first as your stone tools are ineffective against high level encounters until you reach upper levels yourself as it would seem that for the most part encounters are at least 45+ and it's uncommon if not rare to encounter 15-30 lvl scrubs near spawn points now. Trolls(toxic ppl)exist as well so be cautious to how you approach other Neanderthals. 

Focus on building a base from the get go with a water supply, storage and equipment so you can recon and stockpile resources and have a perm spawn point and safe house for security. This is hard with all them dam pillars that toxic ppl erect to prevent other players from building. The GM's need to fix that sh*^ as it is TOXIC. Limiting base sizes to some degree as well would help.

In ARK you live and learn and focusing first on whats important is the only way to play, plus being in a tribe helps to so going it solo is a B*%$H and I cannot address how much harder it is without help.....im going solo in my first play through even though I have a tribe, but I wna learn to depend on myself as I will learn how to defend, hoard and build with out hassles from others interventions. 

LAST RESORT IS......If one server sucks and is to hard try another, even at the gest of creating a new characters to spawn, maybe it will be less dense with hostiles. I found this out many times. Try differing methods can also prove productive.

I have a different strategy than those suggested.  I always go all weight early on so that i can build easier and i just build proliferately in order to create many spawn houses so i am always close to stuff and i design small spawn houses so that I can easily defend them.  I don't range too far until i've managed to build enough to protect any dinosaurs i do obtain ie. wooden dinosaur gates and a completely enclosed box. raptors and stuff suck but high ground helps alot, also a trike goes a long way once you can get one, hell turtles are semi decent early game tames for base defense as well.

if you are near the cold you can get wolves early on and win at ark

Person buys game that has Survival in the name.

Person says they keep dying all the time at beginner level.

That sounds amazing to me. But just keep in mind, when you get everything sorted out, you won't die anymore and will wish for days where you struggle to get a few nice things. Earning your stuff feels better than easy mode.

Food and water are wasted points imo. I never touch them. For PVE/Single Player, pile into weight and health to begin with. The game becomes much easier once you are airbourne as well. But before then a pack of raptors can be good. They are an easy tame too. Just bola one, and tranq it. If you have a few follow you around you’re pretty safe.

Tame a Ptera. Again an easy tame with a bola. Then use the Ptera to trap an Argy. Just line up four dino gateways with a gate on either end. Keep just one gate open. Leave enough space between the gateways for a ptera to just get out inbetween them. Then you’ll know that the argy wont fit out. Get the argy to chase you in, fly out the side, park up and shut the door. You can make the taming platform high up on some pillars with ceiling on them to keep you safe from land dinos. Even make one on a raft and moor up in the shallows. Makes for a really easy tame. Argies are great on the island.

But as people have mentioned above, I really miss the early days, being nervous as hell to leave the base. True survival.

You say you like caves, the Island has them in abundance. The best caves as well imo, requiring a variety of strategies. Doable solo, but you’ll need to tame and breed the appropriate dinos.

Youtube really can be your friend early game. Loads of taming videos available.

Enjoy the struggle – you’ll miss it!

I hear where you're at. My problem isn't with the environment and wildlife. It's with all the trolls and the community. I tried pve but with all the megabases everywhere it makes it hard to do much. So back to pvp. Had one fella who goes by Big Mike who sits there and brags about how many tames he's killed that day. Most of the response I get from the community is "happens to everyone, get good scrub lololol" what happened to the gaming community where trolling became acceptable? I've been gaming a long time and I remember when a whole server would hunt down a troll until they left or acted right. Just to clarify I don't thinking raiding is trolling. I can't even get a long tame done without someone swooping in on something highly mutated that they probably just paid money for. I love the game and I like the fight but I think something needs to be done about it or all it's gonna do is drive new people away

Ark is hard to grasp at first and will take you a while to get in the game, if your going with pvp your best bet it is to find a team to play with as it is a tough mode aimed advanced play style. 

Start with PVE or singleplayer learn the basics and check out some YouTube many of useful guides for starters. For example where to find all the explorer notes on The Island to level faster!

There is trolls on every game and if your on pvp its kinda expected.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:44 PM, Peteed1 said:

Build a box 3x3 with door frames for walls and no roof .

Put ramps up to the top . 

Get a big Dino to chase your in the box .

It's now trapped and can be tamed at your leisure.

Make a raft and put plant X on it , set to all targets and driver up the beach and clear everything that's blocking you. 

You can also put your base on the raft and live on there so your more mobile to collect stuff.

7 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

I have a different strategy than those suggested.  I always go all weight early on so that i can build easier and i just build proliferately in order to create many spawn houses so i am always close to stuff and i design small spawn houses so that I can easily defend them.  I don't range too far until i've managed to build enough to protect any dinosaurs i do obtain ie. wooden dinosaur gates and a completely enclosed box. raptors and stuff suck but high ground helps alot, also a trike goes a long way once you can get one, hell turtles are semi decent early game tames for base defense as well.

if you are near the cold you can get wolves early on and win at ark

But how hard would it be to tame the wolves? Also won't the cold you too?

Like what everyone else is saying start in singleplayer or pve and get a feel for the game. I wouldn't suggest mods in the beginning as they will make it easier in some ways as well as not showing you what vanilla is like. Having a good base on the map is crucial for building up and retaining dinos, dinos being the most important tool in the game as they make doing anything from farming to killing far easier. I'd also suggest finding someone else to play with as they could show you a few things and speed up the process. Most of all have fun, one day you won't be a noob and cringe at/love the days you were.

if you find you're dying a lot, make good use of sleeping bags with little storage chests next to the bag to get you on ur feet somewhere local after you die.

Ark isn't for the faint of heart. It wont hold your hand and it certainly wont coddle you to end-game like most of games do these days.

This might be the reason you don't like it, but it is the exact reason I love it.

just stick with it man, it will take a while to get good but its worth it, if your on official then their is usually people who will help you out, give you some good gear unless you want to do things by yourself and in that case ya it will take a minute to get good, just gotta build in a generally safe place and with flyer land before you run out of stam so you can choose where you want to land

On 1/29/2019 at 7:44 PM, Peteed1 said:

Lol git gud boi (seriously though watch some guides and go live at a safer place)

Archived