Rumors of vaults being raided on PVE

catnip

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 1:15 PM, Oli4 said:

99% sure this is it, I see it fairly often on other peoples bases

No. That isn't it at all. I know the tribe mentioned earlier who was in the discussion on Rag68 (the theft happened on Extinction443) and in fact i was the one who caught  the thieft inside my incubation room. He had somehow glitched into the room and had an argy on follow that was outside the room. the same. The thieves were reported and nothing has happened to them. Just today they glitched into the same guys base, dragged him out of a Tek sleeping pod (you can do so by crawling apparently) and drowned him. Stealing his all black giga he had in a cryopod in his inventory. The giga is displayed proudly at the [][][][] base not far from his with a new name in Chinese. Next to it is a quetzal with a platform saddle with a 1x1x1 stone box with a bed inside. I'd wager that quetz is being used for these purposes. I confirmed myself that you can fast travel from a bed glitched through the floor of another tribes base. I made a video and will be sending it to a GM ive been in contact with. Along with videos of a few other exploits these thieves have been using.

25 minutes ago, AndrewLB said:

No. That isn't it at all. I know the tribe mentioned earlier who was in the discussion on Rag68 (the theft happened on Extinction443) and in fact i was the one who caught  the thieft inside my incubation room. He had somehow glitched into the room and had an argy on follow that was outside the room. the same. The thieves were reported and nothing has happened to them. Just today they glitched into the same guys base, dragged him out of a Tek sleeping pod (you can do so by crawling apparently) and drowned him. Stealing his all black giga he had in a cryopod in his inventory. The giga is displayed proudly at the [][][][] base not far from his with a new name in Chinese. Next

You might want to edit out that bit about that exploit, it is against the rules I think to mention how to do things like that (I could be wrong)

• Volunteer Moderator
41 minutes ago, AndrewLB said:

Next to it is a quetzal with a platform saddle with a 1x1x1 stone box with a bed inside. I'd wager that quetz is being used for these purposes. I confirmed myself that you can fast travel from a bed glitched through the floor of another tribes base. I made a video and will be sending it to a GM ive been in contact with.

Not sure how you tested, but you cannot spawn or travel to a bed that have non-allied structures nearby; it will simply not be displayed on the map.

• 9 months later...

We've been having our own issues with this over the past few days. It does seem to be a case of leaving things unlocked due to the interface changing due to inexplicable obstructions. I understand that's an issue that's hard to solve due to the nature of the game's building, but I think this issue could be addressed in different way with little disruption.

Since pin-locking can be brute forced, it's not a good security system as it stands. In fact it's less secure than a simple locked box/vault/etc. because there's a path in. If it's locked, it's locked and there are no options (afaik). But because the UI issues are likely too strange/edge-casey to solve the whole accidental unlock easily, it seems that implementing a simple exponential lockout timer between PIN attempts would discourage brute forcing. 

Doubling the timer would be fairly straightforward, though it would need to be tied to the player's data somehow, which I understand could be more than trivial.  But when doubling, just the 10th attempt at a wrong PIN would mean 17 minutes, whereas 5 attempts would mean less than 30s of cumulative time for honest mistakes and faulty memories of fellow tribe members/allies.

One wrinkle to figure out would be resetting that "failed attempts value" and that could even be done by just forcing them to leave render distance and unload that object from active memory (assuming that's how it works). So optimal brute forcing in this case might look more like trying 5 PINs (30s) and then leaving the area and coming back (30s?), meaning you could try 10 per minute, and it'd have to all be done by hand since I doubt TA thing would be able to land you back precisely in front of the vault. Regardless, assuming 5,000 attempts are needed to crack the PIN (the average for this kind of brute force solution) then that means the thief must spend ~8 hours of their time brute forcing it manually. Not great, but at least they couldn't TA it and it would be excruciating to actually execute.

A more robust solution could be to reset the "failed attempts value" upon something like 1 full game day or some amount of real time server hours. I suspect those are harder to implement, but again I have no real idea. A solution like that though would likely render all manner of brute forcing null and void. And perhaps, this is an aspect of gameplay that the devs want to keep around as guessing someone's dumb pin code is an "interesting" moment for both parties.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:08 PM, invincibleqc said:

To be honest, I don't necessarily think there is an exploit allowing players to access locked vaults. Vaults are known to be accidentally unlocked easily. Especially when people are used to use "E" instead of "F" to access them because as soon as there is some obstruction, the option will be "Unlock" instead of "Access Inventory". For example:

FADF55F11F6F384BAED21CE18FFC816B0DFF548E

And a few pixels away:

9B5345757939FC1E483F848A753C2FB5860A88AC

This used to be way more frequent before they fixes the usage of the station in front of a player dismounting a creature but this is still very common. So yeah, while an exploit of some sort might be a possibility, unless there is an actual report of the method used I would rather tend to believe people accidentally unlocked them.

For Xbox always use the (X) button yo open anything with a storage system.

For PlayStation I believe its the (Square) button.

Archived