From the paid one I'd go for Abb. 

It's harder than others if you start from the scratch, but brings a lot of new things and mechanics. 

Extinction is toooo boring to live on. Ya, cool unique dinos, but you can just come, get them and leave to other map. The map itself leaves a feeling it wasn't complete. Many places doesn't make sense, like completely useless sulfur area and what's after it. Forest is big, but all the same. And I can go on. 

Scorched is also very boring. Weather changes gives a bit of change, but overall nhec. Wherever you look - it's all the same. With same dinos, same views, sand, sand sand... 

In all honesty, all of the DLCs have been of great enjoyment to me. However, Aberration hits me as my favorite.

The Center was huge and had stunning landscapes and probably got the underwater part of the game the best. I personally love the sea in ARK even if it gets little attention.

Ragnorak is gorgeous and massive in its natural world and huge diversity in climates and terrains and it has a huge array of creatures comparable to Valguero. Like The Center but at an even greater degree, there were tons of small caves and secretive areas to live and hide. Plus the griffins, boss fight, and dungeon/mini-bosses are great.

I like Schorched Earth as an emersive environment, to a greater degree than most other DLCs, and the environment is in a good way more simple to let the small details of each biome really shine. The exclusive creatures are a strong and diverse cast as well.

I have not played Extinction yet so I can't give much on it  though it appears to be very focused on the end game side of things with Tek and crazy titans and orbital drops which is certainly unique to the others plus having another strong cast of new creatures that albeit are very strong, sometimes OP even. 

Valguero has what Ragnorak and The Center did great and gave it a few twists with a mix of Aberration/Schorched and the Deononychus as well as inverting the ocean into a central point as the great lake. Most of all, I'd say it is one of the most awe inspiring, breath taking maps I have seen, truly beautiful. Another huge array of creatures and biomes can be found here and it is definitly a diverse and interesting experience.

Aberration was my favorite, in that it took most of Ark and turned it on it head and made it strangely great and mystical with mushrooms and alien looking creatures everywhere. The huge cave systems and lack of flyers is definitly something to get used to, as it made me feel very vulnerable, even far into the game, as Aberration is the most difficult DLC yet.  Those damn mushroom spores, Radiation, and burning surface!  The 3 different zones, green, blue, and red all have their own great flavors and ecosystems of plants, animals, dangers,and resources and the surface is terrifying. The map seems such greater than you and much harder to master due to how much danger and difficulty of navigation and movement there is. Simirly to Scorched Earth, the environmental hazards really keep you in touch with your environment and make the whole experience really feel like survival. The cast of new creature from this DLC are ones that I fell in love with more than any other cast. The Seekers, the Karkinos, the charge pets, they are all wonderful! This map really forces you to play in bizzare and creative new ways to overcome challenges and for that I have to say that I love Aberration and seem it my favorite and possible best DLC.

To add a little about Extinction, from watching others, it seems like its items and creatures are strong but the map and environment itself feels like a huge, unfinished project and that disappoints me as the concept of Extinction is great. Plus ots effects on raiding and daily ark life has been changed forever because of it, often in a negative way IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 11:18 AM, DomiDarko said:

And the Rock Elemental-variations (snow & chalk). BTW: I think he means that Valguero has creatures from The Island, Scorched Earth & Aberration, so a larger variety than other maps.

Yes, that is what i meant, if you look at it, aberration only has four exclusive creatures that aren’t on valguero(excluding aberrant creatures), those being the Nameless, Rock drake, Reaper, and Basilisk.

I liked Abberation better than SE and haven't played Extinction. But when I look at the Genesis creatures, I think Genesis is going to be the best one (to me at least). That giant tortuga makes me more excited than any other Ark creature ever has. Just hope the structure limit will be higher than on the raft.

Unnofficial Pve PC player.

I liked the Orbital Drops / Element veins of Extinction but not as keen on the map itself.  As others have mentioned it just feels like they could have done soo much more with it but released it short.

Aberrration I loved the no true flyers and the variation in each section of the map.  The added "time" element to the surface trips made you have to plan your game a lot more and I loved collecting drake eggs - although only after getting my first drake.  The first drake egg going with Megalos and Climbing picks isn't as fun.

Scorched - meh! Wasn't impressed with this one.  Nice weather effects and first appearance of Wyverns but lacking content, v.few caves and such compared to Island and no end-game cut scene.

Valguero - Lovely looking map, addition of the different golems, deinos and the multi-level wyvern pit was a nice touch.  Love the idea of the mini brood boss just hanging around in it's own little area on the proper map but kinda pointless without modding the configs for it to drop useful loot on death (we went with 30 element)

For me, Ab was great...difficult, challenging and novel with some great dino additions. Val is effin' beautiful and large, has numerous biomes, including an Aberration-esque underground area, chock full of resources and incredibly varied with the terrain and dinos. SE was interesting at first but ended up being a little one dimensional for me.

Archived