Giga raising plan

DauntingBeef08

PVE official - island xbox

Hi our tribe are planning on raising some giga eggs during the next breeding event (hopefully easter/valentines).
im getting my first giga to raise and imprint.

Im not sure if its 2x or 3x does the imprint timers change? on 1x its 8 hours so if i pop the egg Saturday morning at 7am next imprint will be 15:00 then 23:00 then 7am again on sunday. 
so i should get a constant 6 imprint.

after that during the week it will be juvi im planning on using cryopods to control the imprint timers, it will take longer to raise i know but id rather wait an extra week or 2 to get a 80%+
imprint rather than try and rush it in the normal 2 weeks.

we will be using tek and normal troughs and all have giga for meat runs so thats that part is covered, plus we have element dust gacha to grind out some element to power it before the event.

is there anything else we/i can do to maximise my imprint?

Shoot, it's a bit since the last event. I believe the 8 hours is the same you just get 2x the imprint. So instead of 4% you would get 8% on the imprint.

Also, be ready for the baby giga only being able to hold a tiny bit of weight for a very long time. That took us by surprise. Definately a very high presence required the first two days.

14 hours ago, DauntingBeef08 said:

PVE official - island xbox

Hi our tribe are planning on raising some giga eggs during the next breeding event (hopefully easter/valentines).
im getting my first giga to raise and imprint.

Im not sure if its 2x or 3x does the imprint timers change? on 1x its 8 hours so if i pop the egg Saturday morning at 7am next imprint will be 15:00 then 23:00 then 7am again on sunday. 
so i should get a constant 6 imprint.

after that during the week it will be juvi im planning on using cryopods to control the imprint timers, it will take longer to raise i know but id rather wait an extra week or 2 to get a 80%+
imprint rather than try and rush it in the normal 2 weeks.

we will be using tek and normal troughs and all have giga for meat runs so thats that part is covered, plus we have element dust gacha to grind out some element to power it before the event.

is there anything else we/i can do to maximise my imprint?

You get ~2.7-2.9% from 1 imprint on 1x.  There is no breeding event now, or planned, at all.  Baby phase is 28 hours.  Time from birth to adult is ~280 hours.  The 2.7-2.9% I talked about will never change on 1x.  You cannot maximize it, it is exactly what it is, no more, no less on Official PvE servers.  If there is a breeding event, it does not change the timers, only the amounts.  So imprints will be up every 8 hours like normal, BUT for twice the amount.  It would show up as "+6% imprinting!" but you are getting less than 6%.  ARK just rounds, the actual number is less than 6 because on the 4th imprint (on 1x, on 2x, it would be the second imprint), the total imprint comes to 11%.

More bad news about Giga imprinting:  280 divided by 8 is 35, that's 35 imprints on 1x.  If the imprint amount is 2.7, 2.7 times 35 is 94.5, meaning on the most punishing to raise baby phase/maturation time dino, 100% is impossible.  If it is 2.9, 2.9 times 35 is 101.5, which means that you have an extra 1.5 percent of slack-time over 280 hours.  That gives you 51.7% of an imprint worth of slack, which comes out to a bit over 4 hours of total slack, over 280 hours.  I'm not sure what the actual number is, but if the -ACTUAL- amount per imprint (it will just say "+3% imprinting!" every time though it is -not- 3%, it is less) is less than 2.86%, Gigas are impossible to hit 100% imprinting, which is the single-most stupidest imprinting decision for them to make:  The hardest dinos can never EVER receive a full benefit of imprinting, but a dumb raptoring turtle can.

2 hours ago, Nuggie said:

Shoot, it's a bit since the last event. I believe the 8 hours is the same you just get 2x the imprint. So instead of 4% you would get 8% on the imprint.

Also, be ready for the baby giga only being able to hold a tiny bit of weight for a very long time. That took us by surprise. Definately a very high presence required the first two days.

3% only on 1x.  4% would be fantastic.  But it is 3%.

EDIT:  I said that there "... is no breeding event now, or planned, at all" because if they haven't said it, do not under any circumstances count on one.  Even for holidays.  Everyone and their aunt/uncle/mother swore up-and-down there was a breeding event coming for Christmas/New Years.  But we got diddly.  Do not count on history, old events, or word-of-mouth.  Rely on WildCard announcing it, and only that.

11 hours ago, TheDonn said:

You get ~2.7-2.9% from 1 imprint on 1x.  There is no breeding event now, or planned, at all.  Baby phase is 28 hours.  Time from birth to adult is ~280 hours.  The 2.7-2.9% I talked about will never change on 1x.  You cannot maximize it, it is exactly what it is, no more, no less on Official PvE servers.  If there is a breeding event, it does not change the timers, only the amounts.  So imprints will be up every 8 hours like normal, BUT for twice the amount.  It would show up as "+6% imprinting!" but you are getting less than 6%.  ARK just rounds, the actual number is less than 6 because on the 4th imprint (on 1x, on 2x, it would be the second imprint), the total imprint comes to 11%.

More bad news about Giga imprinting:  280 divided by 8 is 35, that's 35 imprints on 1x.  If the imprint amount is 2.7, 2.7 times 35 is 94.5, meaning on the most punishing to raise baby phase/maturation time dino, 100% is impossible.  If it is 2.9, 2.9 times 35 is 101.5, which means that you have an extra 1.5 percent of slack-time over 280 hours.  That gives you 51.7% of an imprint worth of slack, which comes out to a bit over 4 hours of total slack, over 280 hours.  I'm not sure what the actual number is, but if the -ACTUAL- amount per imprint (it will just say "+3% imprinting!" every time though it is -not- 3%, it is less) is less than 2.86%, Gigas are impossible to hit 100% imprinting, which is the single-most stupidest imprinting decision for them to make:  The hardest dinos can never EVER receive a full benefit of imprinting, but a dumb raptoring turtle can.

3% only on 1x.  4% would be fantastic.  But it is 3%.

EDIT:  I said that there "... is no breeding event now, or planned, at all" because if they haven't said it, do not under any circumstances count on one.  Even for holidays.  Everyone and their aunt/uncle/mother swore up-and-down there was a breeding event coming for Christmas/New Years.  But we got diddly.  Do not count on history, old events, or word-of-mouth.  Rely on WildCard announcing it, and only that.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed write up and explanation, it was the infomation i was trying to find on google.

im gonna aim to get the highest imprint i can and it is a 335base egg im getting which is already higher than my current giga . 

What is your thoughts on using cryopod to control the imprint timers?

2 hours ago, DauntingBeef08 said:

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed write up and explanation, it was the infomation i was trying to find on google.

im gonna aim to get the highest imprint i can and it is a 335base egg im getting which is already higher than my current giga . 

What is your thoughts on using cryopod to control the imprint timers?

No worries!  Though there are a plethora of problems I would LOVE to see fixed I very much enjoy breeding any and every creature that can be bred, though I am a bit bitter that Gigas/Mosas/Squids are currently jacked up in terms of slack-time...  I mean DUDE we already have to commit 12 real-life days' worth of imprints for one of the stinking things, can't the 3 just get a -TINY- tweak @Chris?

Cryopodding to cut the demand of baby time is great!  I did my most recent Giga in one 16-hour chunk, and then the last ~12 hours to Juvenile in a stretch.  But past that...  it is a terrible temptation.  The ~11 and 2/3rds days it takes to raise a Giga becomes 17 and a half days if you raise 16 hours a day and then cryo, or 35 days if you raise only 8 hours a day and then cryo.  8 or 16 hours a day isn't awful if you can spend the time...  But lengthening the already ridiculously long maturation time of a Giga is painful.

...  In my opinion, of course.

2 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

No worries!  Though there are a plethora of problems I would LOVE to see fixed I very much enjoy breeding any and every creature that can be bred, though I am a bit bitter that Gigas/Mosas/Squids are currently jacked up in terms of slack-time...  I mean DUDE we already have to commit 12 real-life days' worth of imprints for one of the stinking things, can't the 3 just get a -TINY- tweak @Chris?

Cryopodding to cut the demand of baby time is great!  I did my most recent Giga in one 16-hour chunk, and then the last ~12 hours to Juvenile in a stretch.  But past that...  it is a terrible temptation.  The ~11 and 2/3rds days it takes to raise a Giga becomes 17 and a half days if you raise 16 hours a day and then cryo, or 35 days if you raise only 8 hours a day and then cryo.  8 or 16 hours a day isn't awful if you can spend the time...  But lengthening the already ridiculously long maturation time of a Giga is painful.

Oh I agree. It's terrible. And the practically nonexistent buffer for imprints is also terrible. The brand new changes to cryopods help, but it still sucks getting 97% imprinting because you were ever sightly off.

The honest truth is it is irresponsible game design to create game mechanics that encourage you to spend unhealthy amounts of time at your computer with broken up sleep patterns. 

Babies need to eat slower, and less. Baby phases for big dinos should not be 28.5 hours long. These mechanics attempt to slow/throttle power creep, but only acts to brutally punish adults with jobs.

And before people say that these dinos are luxuries--they aren't. Especially not gigas. Imprinted gigas are 200% better than wild tames. You cannot solo a red OSD with a wild giga, but you CAN with an Imprinted one. And you need a small team of imprinted gigas to take on purple OSD's.

And again--the new changes help, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

34 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

thats my thinking, if i want a half decent one with also working a full time job mon-fri and wife and race car season starting i need to do what i can and when.

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

Oh I agree. It's terrible. And the practically nonexistent buffer for imprints is also terrible. The brand new changes to cryopods help, but it still sucks getting 97% imprinting because you were ever sightly off.

The honest truth is it is irresponsible game design to create game mechanics that encourage you to spend unhealthy amounts of time at your computer with broken up sleep patterns. 

Babies need to eat slower, and less. Baby phases for big dinos should not be 28.5 hours long. These mechanics attempt to slow/throttle power creep, but only acts to brutally punish adults with jobs.

And before people say that these dinos are luxuries--they aren't. Especially not gigas. Imprinted gigas are 200% better than wild tames. You cannot solo a red OSD with a wild giga, but you CAN with an Imprinted one. And you need a small team of imprinted gigas to take on purple OSD's.

And again--the new changes help, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

7-8 days (Q-Birds and Yutys) I kinda feel should be the max, maybe even less.  But as it stands now I feel like the disparity between the shortest raises (Lystrosaurus at ~15 hours) and longest raises (Giga due to over 2 days incubation, at ~14 total DAYS) is too big.  Thinking about leveling out maturation times, raising the bottom-end to match the top doesn't make sense, because very few things near the short-end of maturation timers have big real-world effects on gameplay so they would never EVER be bred (who would spend 6 days to raise a Parasaur other than @Jen?).  It only makes sense to pull the top down more toward the middle.  I mean, I don't know at what point everyone became OK with 2 weeks of real-life time for one dino, but we did so maybe the fact that it isn't changing (and is likely to never change) is our own damn fault.  And yes yes yes, Gigas are strong!  Even more devastating when imprinted up properly.  But holy crap...  The time commitment.

I would like to add also, my old-school-imprinted (BACK IN MYYY DAY when imprint time was variable between 3-4 hours hahaha) 100% Giga was selected for starvation by ARK, and while among other Gigas, every single one of which had lower food stats including a 130 wild-tame all lived.  Dopey was with me from October of the new server releases, until ~1 month ago when after not taking any damage, and with freshly topped off food, and in range of a trough, he was selected for starvation while all the other stupid Gigas around him were over 25% food left.  But he starved out and died, and that was a pre-cryopod, pre-8hour imprint, all-in-one-shot 3-4 hour imprint cycle 100%'ed Giga that consumed a hellish 12 days of my life.  Thanks, you stupid game...

Yet, I still log in.

1 hour ago, DauntingBeef08 said:

thats my thinking, if i want a half decent one with also working a full time job mon-fri and wife and race car season starting i need to do what i can and when.

They are strong, no doubt there.  But sometimes I question my sanity with this game, as we all do (hopefully).

2 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

7-8 days (Q-Birds and Yutys) I kinda feel should be the max, maybe even less.  But as it stands now I feel like the disparity between the shortest raises (Lystrosaurus at ~15 hours) and longest raises (Giga due to over 2 days incubation, at ~14 total DAYS) is too big.  Thinking about leveling out maturation times, raising the bottom-end to match the top doesn't make sense, because very few things near the short-end of maturation timers have big real-world effects on gameplay so they would never EVER be bred (who would spend 6 days to raise a Parasaur other than @Jen?).  It only makes sense to pull the top down more toward the middle.  I mean, I don't know at what point everyone became OK with 2 weeks of real-life time for one dino, but we did so maybe the fact that it isn't changing (and is likely to never change) is our own damn fault.  And yes yes yes, Gigas are strong!  Even more devastating when imprinted up properly.  But holy crap...  The time commitment.

I would like to add also, my old-school-imprinted (BACK IN MYYY DAY when imprint time was variable between 3-4 hours hahaha) 100% Giga was selected for starvation by ARK, and while among other Gigas, every single one of which had lower food stats including a 130 wild-tame all lived.  Dopey was with me from October of the new server releases, until ~1 month ago when after not taking any damage, and with freshly topped off food, and in range of a trough, he was selected for starvation while all the other stupid Gigas around him were over 25% food left.  But he starved out and died, and that was a pre-cryopod, pre-8hour imprint, all-in-one-shot 3-4 hour imprint cycle 100%'ed Giga that consumed a hellish 12 days of my life.  Thanks, you stupid game...

Yet, I still log in.

They are strong, no doubt there.  But sometimes I question my sanity with this game, as we all do (hopefully).

Yep, i almost wish i never started ARK, its so addictive i look past the bugs,glitches and the amount of hours dumped into it.

but on the other hand its my most played game by far currently at almost 39 days, some of that is idle time but damm its alot !

Raising Gigas is a pain but at least you dont raise it everyday like Rexes or other utility dinos. Getting 100% is possible as long as you time them well.. like all dinos, Giga also has a leeway albeit a short one. Ofc cryopods make life much simpler till Juvi. 

Best Giga raising plan is to start on 2x event when meat hunting is easy before starting to raise a Giga. Also while you're at it, its better to raise more than 1 Giga at a time especially if you have access to tek troughs. if you plan other carnivores in such a way that all will hit juvi more or less at same time, u can be more efficient wit the trough feeding 

Also while other carnivores will mature much faster.. its good to start raising new ones on day 3-4 like wolves, thylas, Rexes, Spinos or Yuties while your Gigas are still growing since you gonna farm meat for them anyway

on the last day once you finally imprint, refresh all your bases / beds on the server and take a 1 week holiday and meet family/friends and see what is happening outside your bedroom

1 minute ago, pavanwasu said:

Raising Gigas is a pain but at least you dont raise it everyday like Rexes or other utility dinos. Getting 100% is possible as long as you time them well.. like all dinos, Giga also has a leeway albeit a short one. Ofc cryopods make life much simpler till Juvi. 

Best Giga raising plan is to start on 2x event when meat hunting is easy before starting to raise a Giga. Also while you're at it, its better to raise more than 1 Giga at a time especially if you have access to tek troughs. if you plan other carnivores in such a way that all will hit juvi more or less at same time, u can be more efficient wit the trough feeding 

Also while other carnivores will mature much faster.. its good to start raising new ones on day 3-4 like wolves, thylas, Rexes, Spinos or Yuties while your Gigas are still growing since you gonna farm meat for them anyway

on the last day once you finally imprint, refresh all your bases / beds on the server and take a 1 week holiday and meet family/friends and see what is happening outside your bedroom

thats good suggestion ,  i plan on doing some other meat eaters at same time, my tribe will be helping raise them aswell but i doign imprint on one so it will be my focus

Archived