Mysterious Mysteries: Introducing ???????

Jatheish

In my opinion, this is a cave-dweller, whatever creature it may be.  

First of all, it not only has dew claws, which are used specifically for climbing and holding objects (such as a foothold or rock outcrop), but thick, curved claws, also for climbing.  Evidently, if this were a cave dweller, the ability to climb on the ceiling and walls would be very beneficial to its survival.  

Secondly, in addition to its climbing ability, the spines on its back could help protect it while clinging to the cave walls, making it difficult for predators to attack when the underside is pressed against a wall.

Additionally, its pupils are very dilated, allowing more light  to come in from all angles, which would mean it could see more easily in dark caves.

One problem with this theory, however, is the mouth.  The mouth is in the shape of a beak, which means that this is likely an herbivore (specifically a nut-berry eater), and though it could eat the mosses and small plants in the cave, its beak mouth would need to be sharper and perhaps a bit more scythe shaped.  It is possible that the creature also eats insects, so it would have a diet similar to the Onyc.

Another possible problem is the tail.  The tail seems to be used for tree climbing and hanging from branches, and would be fairly useless in a cave.

This is just my opinion, though I guess we'll find out how much is true once the mysterious mysteries are released!

15 hours ago, Genet said:

In my opinion, this is a cave-dweller, whatever creature it may be.  

First of all, it not only has dew claws, which are used specifically for climbing and holding objects (such as a foothold or rock outcrop), but thick, curved claws, also for climbing.  Evidently, if this were a cave dweller, the ability to climb on the ceiling and walls would be very beneficial to its survival.  

Secondly, in addition to its climbing ability, the spines on its back could help protect it while clinging to the cave walls, making it difficult for predators to attack when the underside is pressed against a wall.

Additionally, its pupils are very dilated, allowing more light  to come in from all angles, which would mean it could see more easily in dark caves.

One problem with this theory, however, is the mouth.  The mouth is in the shape of a beak, which means that this is likely an herbivore (specifically a nut-berry eater), and though it could eat the mosses and small plants in the cave, its beak mouth would need to be sharper and perhaps a bit more scythe shaped.  It is possible that the creature also eats insects, so it would have a diet similar to the Onyc.

Another possible problem is the tail.  The tail seems to be used for tree climbing and hanging from branches, and would be fairly useless in a cave.

This is just my opinion, though I guess we'll find out how much is true once the mysterious mysteries are released!

I don't think so.

The cave-dwelling climber already belongs to the Megalania.

You're right about it's little spines being used for protection though, that's definitely true.

The pupil dilation for these sorts of lizards doesn't really mean much other than it's likely a nocturnal creature.

The mouth is not in the shape of a beak... It's snout is short and flat, like certain species of lizards. It's probably an insectivore though, I can see that.

It's very, very likely it's just the first Desert creature to be announced. The armor-plating could actually be used to not only protect it from the intense heat, but also from the Pulmonoscorpius' torpor dealing attacks. I can see it being a nocturnal creature as well, perhaps it's passive during the day but territorial or aggressive at night?

6 hours ago, FaneBlackwing said:

I don't think so.

You're right about it's little spines being used for protection though, that's definitely true.

The pupil dilation for these sorts of lizards doesn't really mean much other than it's likely a nocturnal creature.

The mouth is not in the shape of a beak... It's snout is short and flat, like certain species of lizards. It's probably an insectivore though, I can see that.

It's very, very likely it's just the first Desert creature to be announced. The armor-plating could actually be used to not only protect it from the intense heat, but also from the Pulmonoscorpius' torpor dealing attacks. I can see it being a nocturnal creature as well, perhaps it's passive during the day but territorial or aggressive at night?

Warms up in the day from the sunlight, so it has the energy to hunt at night :D

On 3/12/2016 at 4:20 PM, FaneBlackwing said:

I don't think so.

That is an interesting idea, I hadn't really thought of it being nocturnal and its armour-plating.  It still likely lives in a rocky desert or desert mountain, though, because of its feet.  The claws still seem to be more for climbing (mostly because of the dew-claw) and less for travelling the desert like some lizards do (not that it looks like much of a runner anyway).  So perhaps it lives in the rockier part of deserts, either basking or hiding under rocks during the day, then coming out to hunt and forage for insects and plants at night.

Also, is there already a desert biome or is it going to be added in the future update with the creature?  I haven't seen the entire island, but from what I have seen, deserts are not present.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, INFCTDxGAMR said:

probablemente el dragón en el desierto 

There is no doubt that this animal is to the desert, but I have a doubt. In a video of ARK is developing the desert and looked huge. Besides, 2 towers were seen in the desert area (A tower, sure he was in the desert, the other will not get to see). Everything looks to be a boss of the desert. But something does not fit me, ARK logo is 3 triangles of colors representing 3 bosses. So logic would not lose if they add another? And every time the developers talk of the desert, using adjectives like: big, huge, etc. But also they have said that adding the biome desert island would present too. That means that make the island bigger? Or will another island?

What do you think of this?

3 minutes ago, Tomtoyer said:

There is no doubt that this animal is to the desert, but I have a doubt. In a video of ARK is developing the desert and looked huge. Besides, 2 towers were seen in the desert area (A tower, sure he was in the desert, the other will not get to see). Everything looks to be a boss of the desert. But something does not fit me, ARK logo is 3 triangles of colors representing 3 bosses. So do not lose ela logic if they add another? And every time the developers talk of the desert, using adjectives like: big, huge, etc. But also they have said that adding the biome desert island would present too. That means that make the island bigger? Or will another island?

Do you think of this?

sounds like a new map to be honest. like the center or the island