is it worth it? Is it worth coming back?

Enigma505

Here we go! I started playing ark on the PC when it first came out and then switched to Xbox.  I quit playing about 7 months ago. Been there done that senerio , had a big tribe (alpha) had a small tribe love pvp when it's actually pvp <- not referring to undermeshing , offline raiding due to tribes scared of losing tames,items ect while attacking with the defending tribe online!  I mostly quit due to constant ddosing,undermeshing and duping/ roll back.

I like pvp and it doesn't bother me much when I lose tames ect to pvp unless it's from obvious cheating/exploits. I see a lot of talk about meshing being worse then before and tribes still doing the same ol pillar/ foundation blocking of areas they don't want people to build. 

My question? Are these issues as bad as people are saying or is it mostly select server's/alpha tribes? 

Like the game but it's not fun when all you deal with are exploits to attack or harass tribes. 

I didn't get wiped when I quit lol I know people here will assume that. I actually gave away my tribe to someone that was almost maxed on tames ect just got bored from the alpha tribe wiping everyone except who was in their alliance as I was. And trolls constantly undermeshing . Long message but just want to see what players have to say not people who are not playing anymore. Oh and is it still super laggy and rubber banding lol

The official servers have only gotten worse since release, so if you want to play and enjoy the game, PvP or PvE, you should find or rent an unofficial server that has what you're looking for.  Most seem to be crazy 100x boosted rates, but there are still plenty of servers that have rates closer to x3 or x5 which help speed up the tedium without removing the challenge.

As for the overall game itself, now is an awesome time to be back!  The new map brings some cool new dinos to the game along with farmable element that doesn't require spending resources on boss fights all the time.  If you can find a good, active, community on an unofficial, then you can have way more fun in PvP than on the undermeshing official servers.

I've been playing on an official CrossArk server. Never heard of anyone meshing there and most folks are pretty nice for the most part.  Any mention of meshing is just one of those, hmmm, seemed like they took down my base awfully quick, wonder if they were meshing kinda things with no proof.  If you can find a good dedicated Nitrado server it's a great option, but finding the one that's perfect for you can be quite a daunting task...

With the servers 'still' this laggy, I have no idea how people even PvP in the first place anymore. 

I think PvP is the new term for "Waiting until they're offline, and/or letting your turrets do all the work." 

The personal interaction standpoint is non-existent. If it was, people would just be lagging out constantly.

I got tired of all the cheesy, glitchy bs from official on xbox and decided to try an unofficial server.

Try OfficialSucks cluster. Slightly boosted but not insane. x6 xp/tame/harvest. Its good for a better version of Solo-play ark. Only dino weight/stam boosted. Not tedious and  still feels like you progress unlike these  insta-tame fiber craft servers.

I dunno though, unless WC adds a continual cycle of FRESH servers or makes it so you can transfer out of Arkpolaypse servers I think im at the end of my 3 year game time with Ark. Maybe a new specality duo tribe or solo type server would keep me intrested but without that I think its time to move on. I still love this game but only as a solo/very small tribe game. Even 6 man feels like more than i want becuase i like solo or duo and no official PvP server really is out there for that. 

Thanks for the feedback. I like pvp and I think Im decent at it . It's really the super laggy and meshing that really make me wonder if playing again is worth it. Pve does get boring, I tried it. I played dedicated but to many boost. 

Ill try coming back again. I found my 101 character but I can't seem to find my other 2. I wish there was a way to see what servers you have characters on and the lvl of those characters. My wife won't come back lol maybe I'll convince her some day. 

I personally think if the makers of ark made separate groups of servers that can only transfer to servers that are in the same group.. such as a group of 1-40 island servers that can only transfer to other island servers within the group and same goes with the center, rag, abb, scorched and extinction servers.  Itll make players even and less mad when they are playing on center, or island and gets raised with EZ by dinos that came from rag, scorched, abb or extinction..  so itll be a perfect fight.  Rag vs rag.  Abb vs Abb so on so forth.  You get what I mean lol

Also add small tribe group servers as well

The new Extinction DLC was a game wide gameplay downgrade. It's dumbed down raiding and PVP so its now just Titans for bases and Managarmrs for everything else. I guess it has its benefits. For one you don't need to put much effort into strategies for raiding a base, instead just walk up to it on your Titan and left click till its all gone.

I think Extinction was planned not just as a DLC but also in a literal sense as in the devs are going to kill off the game and make a sequel. So far its working.

11 hours ago, Zone42 said:

If you are on PC why not try Pve on the maelstrom cluster all the official maps good rates building mods, pvp events and a great support team

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/MaelstromGamingservers/discussions/0/1456202492174464431

Last warning, already warned your buddy in another thread about this. Stop promoting your unofficial all over the forums

19 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

The new Extinction DLC was a game wide gameplay downgrade. It's dumbed down raiding and PVP so its now just Titans for bases and Managarmrs for everything else. I guess it has its benefits. For one you don't need to put much effort into strategies for raiding a base, instead just walk up to it on your Titan and left click till its all gone.

I think Extinction was planned not just as a DLC but also in a literal sense as in the devs are going to kill off the game and make a sequel. So far its working.

Raiding in ARK used to be a skill based and tactical game. Veteran PVPers could be vastly outnumbered, outgunned and still win through weight of experience and skill. 

Now whoever has more manas win pvp. A 3 v 1 was winnable in old meta, a 3 v 1 where everyone is on a mana not so much, whoever freezes first wins and numbers are only thing that matters.

One of best fights I had in ARK was back when I played in Bloodie Marie, and it was a dozen of us vs the streamer Mukkayo on a ptera. He was scouting our server and we were trying hunt to him. It ended with the hunter becoming the hunted, him killing several of our dinos and escaping from our server through our own transmitter in a base he blew into like a boss. We were megatribe farmslaves vs someone skilled and that really earned a lot of respect for him in my eye at time. If that fight happened in todays mana meta the outcome would been vastly different, Mukkayo only pulled off what he did because the game was much more skilled based then.

Archived