What is 'Mesh Memory' ?

d1nk

Hello,

Many of you may have seen the recent patch notes for PC where they mention 'Mesh Memory Optimiziation' 

What exactly is this? The way these characters interact with the mesh over game world or the way their mesh is displayed? Or is it something different? 

Just curious if anyone more experienced in this has any answers? Thanks !

If I had to guess, it would be 'simplifying' a model down and therefore reducing the amount of memory an object takes up when it renders..... thats my guess.... would be good to hear from someone who know what they're talking about, because thats a nice big list of optimizations to help out with potential memory issues.

3 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

If I had to guess, it would be 'simplifying' a model down and therefore reducing the amount of memory an object takes up when it renders..... thats my guess.... would be good to hear from someone who know what they're talking about, because thats a nice big list of optimizations to help out with potential memory issues.

I agree with the guess , if you look at a argent or some other older dinos on a heavy server with slow loading sometimes you will see the argent in my case look like it has a triangle head and neck with "chicken wings " for wings then a few seconds later it will load properly to the better model.

5 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

For sure. A big list to either improve or worsen our crash problems.

Im worried and excited, usual patch anxiety i guess :P 

And as a quick side note they used the word "optimization" rather than "reduction." This may simply be business-doublespeak (to avoid the impression they are reducing model quality), or it could mean they didn't reduce the size of the meshes, merely reconfigured them to load faster (batching like pieces together, storing certain pieces multiple times so more memory is used rather than more cpu or vice versa, etc.).

35 minutes ago, Oldster said:

And as a quick side note they used the word "optimization" rather than "reduction." This may simply be business-doublespeak (to avoid the impression they are reducing model quality), or it could mean they didn't reduce the size of the meshes, merely reconfigured them to load faster (batching like pieces together, storing certain pieces multiple times so more memory is used rather than more cpu or vice versa, etc.).

Thank you I didnt even think about that :) So far the general cosensus is itd affecting the meshes on the listen dinos / items and 'optimizing' them to load faster.

Anyone on PC confirm the impact? The only official guy I know on PC @Anarki have you noticed a significant change?

20 hours ago, d1nk said:

Thank you I didnt even think about that :) So far the general cosensus is itd affecting the meshes on the listen dinos / items and 'optimizing' them to load faster.

Anyone on PC confirm the impact? The only official guy I know on PC @Anarki have you noticed a significant change?

I havent noticed any particular improvement on the Official Center server I am on. I have only been on a couple of days this week as I am off for a long weekend break today so I havent played much. 

This is what I get annoyed at with regards to the patch notes and have stated as much to @Jatiesh also... they need to detail what exactly they have improved i.e. saying fixed crash problems doesnt tell us which ones and which ones are still present.

I dont hold much hope that it will ever change unfortunately... we are still getting Lowlevelfatal error crashes over 3 years since it was originally an issue - apparently this is a GPU issue caused by Overclocking but I am still skeptical about this otherwise there would be a fix implemented by the card manufacturer or implemented within the Unreal Engine releases.

4 hours ago, Anarki said:

I havent noticed any particular improvement on the Official Center server I am on. I have only been on a couple of days this week as I am off for a long weekend break today so I havent played much. 

This is what I get annoyed at with regards to the patch notes and have stated as much to @Jatiesh also... they need to detail what exactly they have improved i.e. saying fixed crash problems doesnt tell us which ones and which ones are still present.

I dont hold much hope that it will ever change unfortunately... we are still getting Lowlevelfatal error crashes over 3 years since it was originally an issue - apparently this is a GPU issue caused by Overclocking but I am still skeptical about this otherwise there would be a fix implemented by the card manufacturer or implemented within the Unreal Engine releases.

Thanks for the reply man, just an FYI Jat is no longer with WC he moved to Atlas so tag Eli, Jen or Chris instead

hmmm mesh memory i would guess its something like rendering a single mesh would set the rendering of all the other same mesh copies. like if u have 20 rexes after u render the first one all the other rexes have there mesh rendered from the same source as the first rex

or its could just be a way to cache the mesh onto the client instead of having it render from the server each time

the first guess is like a way that some scripts are used to save server cycles since alots game assets are just duplicates 

35 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

hmmm mesh memory i would guess its something like rendering a single mesh would set the rendering of all the other same mesh copies. like if u have 20 rexes after u render the first one all the other rexes have there mesh rendered from the same source as the first rex

or its could just be a way to cache the mesh onto the client instead of having it render from the server each time

the first guess is like a way that some scripts are used to save server cycles since alots game assets are just duplicates 

Hm, i hadnt considered that. I guess you cant store the meshes client side cause they could fake them and, for example, exploit hitboxes etc.

That opens a whole new avenue of optimizations.

2 hours ago, Nuggie said:

Official pc player here:

What I've noticed when I bed travel is models noticeably first look very smooth and dull before the high quality image loads in. This is in both large bases(200+ count) and small bases (10 count). 

I didn't notice this before.

Thats how it is for us console players all the time :) Glad to hear it, thanks for the reply. It seems they're attempting tl allieviate the crashes upon login, base load, etc.

@Chris Anything to add to this thread? Would love a dev response on this, wishful thinking :) 

On 1/16/2019 at 10:16 PM, d1nk said:

Hello,

Many of you may have seen the recent patch notes for PC where they mention 'Mesh Memory Optimiziation' 

What exactly is this? The way these characters interact with the mesh over game world or the way their mesh is displayed? Or is it something different? 

Just curious if anyone more experienced in this has any answers? Thanks !

Mesh memory is what you have when you think back about your time playing ark .  Mesh spots,  mesh bases , mesh raids , people under your base in the mesh and the newest bestest one mesh desert titans .

Archived