Diary of a Giga breeder

Peligrad

43 minutes ago, Peligrad said:

We are nearing the end of our project and planning our victory celebration.

Let me know if you have any suggestions about what we are going to do.

As of right now, we are going to make the saddles and each tribesman is going to decorate one for his/her Giga.

We are also making beer and flare guns with the fireworks skins.

I'd like to get a group picture of all the tribe members and all 9 Gigas as well.

So, after these hellions have been raised are you ever gonna do breeding projects again? or just not on a scale like this haha

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
56 minutes ago, Sentoki said:

Sounds great! I'd love to see the pictures!

What a touching story, amazing to hear what you guys have gone through - such dedication!

I didn't know that the eggs can hatch as twins, that's amazing!

They can, on rare occasions, hatch as triplets.

That is one of the reasons why, when I hatch eggs, that I stagger them, so that if I suddenly get multiples, I can put one or more eggs back into the fridge.

Yeah good idea Jerryn. Unless you have a lot of tribemates online to help it is a very good idea to have at least a few minutes of stagger on your eggs just in case.

@XcrazeddoctorX Yeah I think we will do a few more projects after a little break. We've talked about a lot of different things but personally I would like to do Brontos and Quetzals to get some experience with those just incase we decide to try our hand at PvP. My tribemates have talked about doing Rexs, Wolves, Argents, and Ankys as well. I think with this experience behind us we could pretty easily do several species at once, which is something I would like to try.

With the exception of the Quetzals those all should be cake walks compared to the Gigas. I think that is going to be our plan now though rather than spending a lot of time scouting for high levels, I think we are going to just breed our own high levels from here on.

We've heard rumors about a server wiping in June. If they do wipe the servers we are probably going to go to a PvP server and try some breeding shenanigans there.

In my honest opinion, I think that breeding is a pretty overpowered mechanic if you have the manpower to do it. It removes the kibble time gates that conventional breeding has. It removes that vulnerable period of exposure away from your base where you and your tame are very susceptible to attack. And it yields animals with 100% taming efficiency which means that their stat growth is superior to tames obtained through conventional means. Obviously trying to raise 7 gigas on a pvp server isn't very realistic unless you basically have full control of the server already, but mass producing say battle brontos is a legitimate possibility even on a very contested server- provided that you do your foundational work and get a very well defended base where you can conceal your efforts until they reach fruition.

I think we've pretty well proven with this project that no project in Ark is too big for us inside the confines of PvE. Now I think we'd like to test our limits when other players are actively working against us.

I forgot to account for server lag time, which turns out to be a very considerable amount of time over the course of an 11 day project.

I woke up expecting that the gigas would be adults and instead found that they had several hours still to go.

They should be adult by the time I get home from work though.

Here is a picture of them all clustered up as they are currently. They are almost full size now.

I'm standing on top of the hatchery, which is a 2 story tall building (4 walls +1 foundation high).

After we lost Chronos by moving him we haven't moved any of them since. They are all tangled up like a barrel of monkeys.

I've asked the guys to wait until I get home to move them so that I can glitch my self under the map in the event of one falling through.

I guess we will see if they heed my caution.

Final hours compressed.jpg

My first Born giga poofed on me like yours did when I attempted to move him, he had fallen under my hatchery upon hatching and i feed him down there tell he was almost juvenile while I build a ramp to put him back up top, went to move him and POOF! Never got a death message on my first one. When I hatched my second one I waited until she was fully grown to move her.

Yeah that's a neat idea. Honestly though the giga's rage mechanic is kind of a joke in it's current state.

If you are a good pilot and just stay a little aware of your surrounding, you should never enrage the Giga and very rarely even get booted off.

Personally I have been piloting Gigas for about 5 weeks now and I've yet to even get booted off yet. And I've taken ours everywhere. I've been up and over every mountain on the map and even taken it down cliffs before.

All you have to do is have it on follow and lead it by foot when you take it over a cliff and it won't take a point of damage or enrage. But even without doing this I've taken it over the most rugged terrain without incident.

4 hours ago, Peligrad said:

Yeah that's a neat idea. Honestly though the giga's rage mechanic is kind of a joke in it's current state.

If you are a good pilot and just stay a little aware of your surrounding, you should never enrage the Giga and very rarely even get booted off.

Personally I have been piloting Gigas for about 5 weeks now and I've yet to even get booted off yet. And I've taken ours everywhere. I've been up and over every mountain on the map and even taken it down cliffs before.

All you have to do is have it on follow and lead it by foot when you take it over a cliff and it won't take a point of damage or enrage. But even without doing this I've taken it over the most rugged terrain without incident.

This is true, but also assuming you dont pvp. There are other things besides fall damage that can enrage the Giga.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you made ridiculous amount of preparation for not so difficult task. I raised 22 giga babies overall. The first time I raised 6 completely alone and then I raised 8 gigas twice with the help of one more person. I should add that I did that on official PvE.

EDIT: I will add some screenshots.

First 6 babies. This was before Christmas (notice the trees).

F923692875DDBD56EEB9FF2FE67F125CA43138AB

Four of the babies adult + their parents (I sold the other two).

2BFB95830C889C970832E7E815621EBFC7F090C1

Eggs getting ready for second hatching.

0C206845E9A7340049259FEAA3B04CEBAFCC5588

New 8 giga babies.

C127345925E84A20488E208CF21EEFA26B090DA4

And some of them adult. Some were moved to my second base and some are inside the building behind these on the picture. Btw the one on the right is not one of the babies. That is a tamed one.
128709C8F33846D3366F2F195F3B3F2AED0E4424

27 minutes ago, Winfield_S_Hancock said:

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you made ridiculous amount of preparation for not so difficult task. I raised 22 giga babies overall. The first time I raised 6 completely alone and then I raised 8 gigas twice with the help of one more person. I should add that I did that on official PvE.

EDIT: I will add some screenshots.

First 6 babies. This was before Christmas (notice the trees).

F923692875DDBD56EEB9FF2FE67F125CA43138AB

Four of the babies adult + their parents (I sold the other two).

2BFB95830C889C970832E7E815621EBFC7F090C1

Eggs getting ready for second hatching.

0C206845E9A7340049259FEAA3B04CEBAFCC5588

New 8 giga babies.

C127345925E84A20488E208CF21EEFA26B090DA4

And some of them adult. Some were moved to my second base and some are inside the building behind these on the picture. Btw the one on the right is not one of the babies. That is a tamed one.
128709C8F33846D3366F2F195F3B3F2AED0E4424

Yes but his was on xbox not PC,  newer servers, less established tribes and players 

14 hours ago, d1nk said:

Yes but his was on xbox not PC,  newer servers, less established tribes and players 

I don't really see your point. He was writing something about 40 fridges and so on. I think they were established well enough. They had all the stuff I had. They had fridges, they had ac units, they had adult gigas. There is nothing more you need. The only difference is that they had more people.

14 hours ago, Digital Taco said:

Why the hell would you put yourself through this on PVE??? Jesus dude.

The first time I took it as the ultimate challenge. There was nothing more for me to achieve in the game than raise 6 baby gigas alone. The other two times it was much easier, because we were two and I also learned a lot from the first time. And we did it just for fun and because some people wanted to buy them. And also another reason was to get good gigas. I forgot to mention that in the last two breedings all gigas were lvl 100+ with 150% damage (after rebalance). Many of them were lvl 156, which was the maximum I could achieve.

@Winfield_S_Hancock

I wouldn't say that raising Gigas was difficult. I would say that it was extremely time consuming.

A lot of our struggle was to not only raise Gigas but also carry on full time careers and marriages at the same time.

By the sound of it, you have a lot of time to play with. There is just simply no way you could solo breed that many Gigas and work full time and manage a family life.

Even just having 2 of those things at once would be difficult.

Also, being on Xbox one means that we are disadvantaged in many ways.

Our server pops are higher since the game just released for Xbox.

Our servers are very unstable. Game crashes and disconnects are/were very frequent.

We not only have the possibility of losing our game server or our ISP, but also Xbox live could go down.

We have zero admin support. If the game screws you, you are xboned.

So while your Giga breeding endeavors are also very impressive, you aren't comparing apples to apples here.

Also, I never claimed to being doing something that has never been done before... I put this up here for the sake of others who want to attempt a similar feat. 

I don't see you or anyone else giving constructive tips to others to help them do what we've done... which was the original intent of this.

I also enjoyed writing it :)

And yes we did over prepare. I'm an engineer... putting in appropriate safety factors is what we do. I don't regret at all the few extra hours we put into those safety factors in order to avoid the anxiety associated with cutting it close.

On 3/11/2016 at 6:15 AM, Winfield_S_Hancock said:

I don't really see your point. He was writing something about 40 fridges and so on. I think they were established well enough. They had all the stuff I had. They had fridges, they had ac units, they had adult gigas. There is nothing more you need. The only difference is that they had more people.

The first time I took it as the ultimate challenge. There was nothing more for me to achieve in the game than raise 6 baby gigas alone. The other two times it was much easier, because we were two and I also learned a lot from the first time. And we did it just for fun and because some people wanted to buy them. And also another reason was to get good gigas. I forgot to mention that in the last two breedings all gigas were lvl 100+ with 150% damage (after rebalance). Many of them were lvl 156, which was the maximum I could achieve.

Pretty nice man! We only have one giga that high melee, which was 165 after tame. Personally I just can't stand breeding lol, not even a ptera...

@Peligrad

There are few things I disagree with. Firstly, you need only one free day to raise the babies. So anyone can do it during the weekend. After the baby stage they don't require more than 0,5-1 hour attention a day. So you can have career, family or anything else. Secondly, PC version has zero admin support as well. I made a ticket around Christmas clearly stating that I need help within 10 days. I am still waiting for ANY kind of answer. And thirdly, it is true that you give people constructive tips on how to do it, but I thought it is a good idea to mention that your preparation was ridiculously big and doing this is not at all so complicated. I think that is useful information for anyone who would want to do it as well.

I'm not sure how you can farm the 10s of thousands of meat that you need each and every day for 9 out of the 11 days in 30 minutes to an hour...

Especially on a high population server with limited spawns.

So no... what you are saying is blatantly untrue.

And while I'm sure not every ticket is answered... at least there is a ticket system where some of the tickets are answered. There is no such system on Xbox.

I'm done acknowledging you... you are literally the only person on this thread who is saying that Giga breeding is no big deal...

Giga breeding is a very rare thing. In fact, I just googles "Giga breeding" on google image search and every single relevant picture that appeared in the results lead back to this very thread (your pictures and my pictures were literally the only pictures of baby gigas that the search engine came up with). If it was easy... that wouldn't be the case.

Personally I won't be doing it again any time soon because it was a lot of work.

To everyone else though...

I'm thinking about doing Quetzals, Brontos, and Rexs simultaneously this weekend.

I need to check with the wife and make sure we don't have any social obligations, but I have been collecting eggs from our 120 Rexs, our 116-120 Brontos, and our 116-120 Quetz for about a week now. By the end of the week I should have a pretty good handful of all 3.

If anyone would like me to do a diary of that experience, let me know.

It should be pretty short as they are all substantially shorter and easier breeds than Gigas, but doing several species simulateously should be an experience.

3 hours ago, Peligrad said:

I'm thinking about doing Quetzals, Brontos, and Rexs simultaneously this weekend.

I need to check with the wife and make sure we don't have any social obligations, but I have been collecting eggs from our 120 Rexs, our 116-120 Brontos, and our 116-120 Quetz for about a week now. By the end of the week I should have a pretty good handful of all 3.

It should be pretty short as they are all substantially shorter and easier breeds than Gigas, but doing several species simulateously should be an experience.

Do it :) I'm doing something similar on my sp game, ttakes a lot less time I'd like to see the official version of it :)

3 hours ago, Peligrad said:

Gigas are the hardest to breed even on a 6x but rexes brontos and even quezs are much easier in comparison xD.

How many different parents you bred?

Archived