achievements Missing achievements

Zahlea

So, I really love achievements. With the kibble rework came arguments that removing the kibble chain would take away a sense of progression, so I was thinking: maybe achievements could help a little?

For a long time I've been thinking about what achievements I'd like to see. Now I'm asking you guys - am I missing some issues with the ones I'm proposing? Am I forgetting some obvious achievements?

Vanilla ARK:

Spoiler

Percent of dinos tamed
Just like the explorer note achievements give a sense of progression in 10% increments, maybe we could get the same with how many dinos we've tamed?

Tamed all flying creatures on the Island/Tamed all land creatures on the Island/Tamed all aquatic creatures on the Island
This could be instead of the one above, or even in addition to it (I'd love to have both!). There are so many dinos to tame, I'd love for there to be achivements for getting part of the way.

Hatching a fertilised egg
Or, if that's easier, claiming a newborn baby (again, I'd love both). I really miss a sense of progression when it comes to breeding.

Hatching/claiming a newborn baby with a mutation and/or Hatching/claiming a newborn baby with all maximum stats from its parents
Again, more achievements for breeding would be amazing.

New generation
Hatching/claiming a baby dino of each sex in the same species.

Building a thatch house/Building a wooden house/Building a stone house/Building a metal house
I imagine "a house" would just be an enclosed area.

Taming a max level dino
"Max level" being the max for the server (no Tek), like a lvl 150 on a difficulty 5 server. I realise there are issues with this as you can game it by making a single player difficulty 1 server and quite easily get the achievement... but I still like it and think it worth mentioning.

Tame a Titanosaur
Well, that's really an achievement!

Killing a dinosaur of each species
A little blood thirsty, mayhaps, but I still think it somewhat of a measure of how much one has been playing.

Killing a Giganotosaurus and/or Titanosaur
Well again, that's an achievement!

Killing an Alpha Raptor/Carno/Rex/Megalodon/Mosasaur/Tusoteuthis/Leedsichtys
Yeah, I really think that's an achievement. It's really cool the first time, so why not an achievement for it?

? Collecting all types of resources on The Island
Having collected at least one of each of the resources on the island. Would be a nice check box at having discovered all resources :)

? Growing one of each advanced crop (and/or all growable crops)
It'd be nice with some farming related achievements as well.

? Fertilising a crop
Using fertiliser - it takes a bit before you get there so I feel it's a milestone.

? Growing a Plant Species X
That's a bit of a milestone in farming/defense as well!

? Cooking all recepies
Not counting custom recipes of course, but all the "standard" recipes. Whether or not Mindwipe should be in here could be up for debate.

? Forgetfulness
Couldn't resist naming this one: using a mindwipe tonic!

? Cooking and/or creating a custom recipe
I've actually never done it... could get more people to try it out :)

Also, I'd really like some achievements in the Expansion packs, which I'm really missing!

Disclaimer: I haven't played much of any of the expansion packs yet, so these achievements are more theory crafting than actually what I'm missing, like vanilla achivements are.

Scorched Earth:

Spoiler

Surviving Super Heat/Sandstorm/Electrical Storm

Surviving Heat Stroke

Tame all dinos of Scorched Earth

Defeat the boss of Scorched Earth

Building an adobe house (enclosed area)

Uncover more than 80% of the mini-map

Discover certain areas (like basegame Highest Peak/Lowest Depth)

Collect all Scorched Earth artifacts

Collect all Scorched Earth Explorer notes

? Collecting all types of resources in Scorched Earth (or only the map specific?)

? Growing a Plant Species Y

(Surviving the first day)

Aberration:

Spoiler

Tame all dinos of Aberration

Defeat the boss of Aberration

Surviving all seasons/a "year"

Catching fish

Collect all Aberration artifacts

Collect all Aberration Explorer notes

? Collecting all types of resources on Aberration (or only the map specific?)

? Growing a Plant Species Z

Extinction:

Spoiler

Tame all dinos of Extinction

Defeat the boss of Extinction

Collect all Extinction artifacts

Collect all Extinction Explorer notes

Collecting all types of resources on Extinction (or only the map specific?)

Surviving a meteor shower

Good suggestions from @Royalstar for The Center and Ragnarok:

The Center:

Spoiler

Ragnarok:

Spoiler

Defeat the bosses of Ragnarok

Killing Ice worm/Lava golem

Taming a griffin

Successfully navigating the labyrinth

These are good ideas, I agree that we need more achievements. I’m not sure about a few of your suggestions:

Survive a day on Aberration/Extinction: I think the current achievement already goes for all maps, correct me if I’m wrong.

Explore 80% of the map: again, I think the current achievement works on all maps, not sure though.

Survive a meteor shower: this seems more based on luck rather than skill, idk if I wanna be rewarded for surviving if it’s completely beyond my control. 

Otherwise, these are good. Similar achievements for the Center and Ragnarok would be nice too.

Thank you for your input! :)

You may very well be right about the "Survive a day"-achievement. Since it's not that much of an achievement anyway (just exist xD ) maybe it's not very valuable to add even if the current one is just for The Island.

Hmm, I could've sworn that it said somewhere that it was 80% of the map on The Island but I can't find anything to confirm it so you're probably right there. Then I really do think they should have one for each map - I mean: for an achievement hunter it sure is an achievement having discovered many maps! :)

Ah, yeah, as stated I haven't played the expansions much, so you're right. I agree that something you can't control yourself is not an achievement! I'll even strike it :P

What achievements would you like for The Center and Ragnarok? Have you played them and have experience? Would be great with some map-specific achievements!

12 hours ago, Zahlea said:

What achievements would you like for The Center and Ragnarok? Have you played them and have experience? Would be great with some map-specific achievements!:):)

There’s already an achievement for completing the Center boss fight, the same for Ragnarok would be nice. 

The Center: reach the highest and lowest point. The highest point is on the floating island, and completing this achievement wouldn’t be much harder than reaching the highest point on the island. The lowest point would be tricky, considering how crazy deep and dark the ocean on the Center gets. 

Ragnarok: aside from a boss fight achievement, and maybe a highest/lowest point one, I’d like achievements for killing the dungeon bosses (ice worm and lava golem), taming a griffin, and maybe successfully navigating the labyrinth. 

10 hours ago, Royalstar said:

There’s already an achievement for completing the Center boss fight, the same for Ragnarok would be nice. 

The Center: reach the highest and lowest point. The highest point is on the floating island, and completing this achievement wouldn’t be much harder than reaching the highest point on the island. The lowest point would be tricky, considering how crazy deep and dark the ocean on the Center gets. 

Ragnarok: aside from a boss fight achievement, and maybe a highest/lowest point one, I’d like achievements for killing the dungeon bosses (ice worm and lava golem), taming a griffin, and maybe successfully navigating the labyrinth. 

I love them! Added them to the original post :) Didn't even know about the Ragnarok labyrinth... that seems like an exciting achievement!

I like the idea of adding achievements for the supported custom maps. It would promote their use even further which is nice since they're all way better than The Island. "Tame all X" and "Defeat boss of X" is kinda grindy but it is a good measure of progression so it is hard to disagree with. Crafting related achievements maybe? Cook all the different kinds of foods, grow all plants etc etc. It feels like a somewhat neglected part of the game otherwise.

Interestingly enough, there are no PvP achievements but I am guessing they're not worth it since they would be too easy to abuse, making them pointless.

On 1/23/2019 at 5:52 PM, Bentebent said:

I like the idea of adding achievements for the supported custom maps. It would promote their use even further which is nice since they're all way better than The Island. "Tame all X" and "Defeat boss of X" is kinda grindy but it is a good measure of progression so it is hard to disagree with. Crafting related achievements maybe? Cook all the different kinds of foods, grow all plants etc etc. It feels like a somewhat neglected part of the game otherwise.

I like it. What kind of crafting related achievements are you thinking?

Yeah, I actually thought about this the other day - like collecting all resources (maybe not exactly what you wrote, but along the same lines). I've added them to my original post! :D

I personally dont think we need so may achievements (growing a crop? Hatching a baby? Seems a bit much) 

That being said it would be nice to have some harder achievements. 'Slay all Island bosses' 'Tek Cave' 'Ascend' etc. Which platform are you on? Xbox we have quite a few achievements but its been so long since ive checked em out.

I was lucky and got all my achievements legit before to many dinos were added :P The problem with the achievements is you can simply go into single player, teleport to all notes etc and voila! 

Ill post later when I get some time to think and add some constructive achievement ideas :) 

I always welcome some discussion threads here, I hate to see the front page filled with "ZOMG MESH!!" "WC STOOPID?????" etc

22 hours ago, d1nk said:

I personally dont think we need so may achievements (growing a crop? Hatching a baby? Seems a bit much) 

That being said it would be nice to have some harder achievements. 'Slay all Island bosses' 'Tek Cave' 'Ascend' etc. Which platform are you on? Xbox we have quite a few achievements but its been so long since ive checked em out.

I was lucky and got all my achievements legit before to many dinos were added :P The problem with the achievements is you can simply go into single player, teleport to all notes etc and voila! 

Ill post later when I get some time to think and add some constructive achievement ideas :) 

I always welcome some discussion threads here, I hate to see the front page filled with "ZOMG MESH!!" "WC STOOPID?????" etc

Thank you for those kind words ❤️ I agree - this forum could really do with more discussion threads where the discussions are more than just pretty much people throwing poop at each other for not agreeing.

I see your point. My thinking though, was that the achievements could bring a sense of progress, which is why I wanted to add achievements for all parts of the game. And about some of them being a bit easy... well, there is an achievement for just surviving one day and for sitting up at a dino ;) I figured if that's where the bar's at... :P

Yeah, I realise many of these achievements can be cheated... Even if you don't go to SP and teleport, it's not that hard to find the information online and just fly to all of them :/ But I figured, all achievements don't need to have cosmetics bound to them - maybe it's even better if they don't as it would be as big of a deal to add them! - maybe the cosmetics are just for the hard ones and the easy ones are just for the badge? That way people can cheat their hearts out but it wouldn't matter much - like cheating in a patience game :P 

I'm excited for any new ideas you might have, so if you think of anything I'm all ears! :D 

Edit: Forgot to answer! I'm on PC but figured the achievements were pretty much the same across all platforms.

I just thought of another thing: If it's an achievement to be in the game for one day, why not 100 days? That'd have to be calculated from online time, ofc. It's not that much of an achievement though. Rather, it's more of a progression type of thing. It could be extended or come in flavours of like 250 days, 500 days etc.

What do you think?

On 1/24/2019 at 7:51 PM, Zahlea said:

I like it. What kind of crafting related achievements are you thinking?

Yeah, I actually thought about this the other day - like collecting all resources (maybe not exactly what you wrote, but along the same lines). I've added them to my original post! :D

I was thinking something like certain recipies, kibble, maybe making gear of certain quality. I guess you could use the achievement to assert ability to craft something for trading? 

On 1/26/2019 at 11:27 PM, Zahlea said:

I just thought of another thing: If it's an achievement to be in the game for one day, why not 100 days? That'd have to be calculated from online time, ofc. It's not that much of an achievement though. Rather, it's more of a progression type of thing. It could be extended or come in flavours of like 250 days, 500 days etc.

What do you think?

I think this would be fun, just as a marker for people how much you've played since it's a game where a lot of people spend a lot of time.

18 hours ago, Bentebent said:

I was thinking something like certain recipies, kibble, maybe making gear of certain quality. I guess you could use the achievement to assert ability to craft something for trading?

Hmmm, how do you mean assert ability to craft something? The BPs let you craft better gear if you find one good enough, which doesn't say anything about your skill. And I'm thinking an achievement for reaching a certain skill might be too much directing players how to play? Or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

18 hours ago, Bentebent said:

I think this would be fun, just as a marker for people how much you've played since it's a game where a lot of people spend a lot of time.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It would make for a fun overview as well, when you look at the global achievements in Steam, to see how many people have more than 500 in-game days played :P 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 1:05 PM, Zahlea said:

Hmmm, how do you mean assert ability to craft something? The BPs let you craft better gear if you find one good enough, which doesn't say anything about your skill. And I'm thinking an achievement for reaching a certain skill might be too much directing players how to play? Or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

Yeah, that's what I thought. It would make for a fun overview as well, when you look at the global achievements in Steam, to see how many people have more than 500 in-game days played :P 

I mean you assert your ability to craft something buy having the achievement, so it proves you can do it, either by using or blueprint or engram doesn't matter, just shows that you can do it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 5:16 PM, Bentebent said:

I mean you assert your ability to craft something buy having the achievement, so it proves you can do it, either by using or blueprint or engram doesn't matter, just shows that you can do it!

That's what I was talking about as well, just that I wasn't sure just how much it actually says about your ability... If you find a good enough blueprint you get the achievement, regardless of your ability. But hey, I just want more achievements, I wouldn't say no to that either! :) 

• 4 weeks later...

I really agree with both of you @d1nk and  @Techsupport which is why I do what I can to feedback with why I don't like something and what I would like to see instead... 

Ooooooooooooooooon that note.... ? I think there are too few achievements in the game as it is because I like collecting badges so I would like to see more achievements! :D If you guys got to choose one favourite achievement to add (or, heck... go nuts, pick as many as you want :D ), what achievement(s) would that be?

6 hours ago, Bentebent said:

What about some building related achievements for the S+ release? No idea how you could do it but achievements for building buildings of x size or complexity would be cool.

I definitely agree! I was trying something along those lines with the "house" achievements, but I didn't think to expand it further than that. I really like that idea!

A very simple one could just be 100 structures built (or some other number than 100, or even multiple ones with different numbers), but I also like what you said about complexity... Not sure how that would work and I'm guessing achievements need to be made from data that is already in place or very easily compiled... Calculating the sqm of a house might not fall into that category :P

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I really like this new path to explore :) 

Archived