kibble rework A kibble trader's criticism of the kibble rework

Jacira

1 hour ago, Aylana314159 said:

Jerky seems kinda pointless now, maybe if it's not going to be in the kibble recipes it's could get a new use.

So I'm rethinking this, and maybe they chose to take Prime Jerky out of recipes so people would use it as intended, jerky!  The benefit is folks could make jerky to take on trips without worrying that it's going to spoil if you don't throw it back in the fridge when you log.  I can see this as a reason to make it now other than just because I need it for kibble...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

So I'm rethinking this, and maybe they chose to take Prime Jerky out of recipes so people would use it as intended, jerky!  The benefit is folks could make jerky to take on trips without worrying that it's going to spoil if you don't throw it back in the fridge when you log.  I can see this as a reason to make it now other than just because I need it for kibble...

Isnt that what custom recipes are for?

Just now, Melcreif said:

No custom recipes have all sorts of uses depending on how it's made.  My son one time made a recipe designed to kill whoever ate it for example.

I mean the food part of jerky, can reach the same with custom recipes+getting 9 raw meat is easier than 2-3 prime jerky to get the same amount of food

1 minute ago, Oli4 said:

I mean the food part of jerky, can reach the same with custom recipes+getting 9 raw meat is easier than 2-3 prime jerky to get the same amount of food

Jerky is an excellent food for early game, and later game really because it spoils very slowly and it's super easy to make.  Nobody really uses it that way though because it's also in most kibble recipes so it just sits in the fridge waiting to be added to kibble.

1 minute ago, Melcreif said:

Jerky is an excellent food for early game, and later game really because it spoils very slowly and it's super easy to make.  Nobody really uses it that way though because it's also in most kibble recipes so it just sits in the fridge waiting to be added to kibble.

The ease of getting cooked meat/berries early game outweighs the advantage of having non spoiling food(prime jerky takes time to make+oil)

2 hours ago, Jacira said:

Yea my bad lol I had been sitting here thinking that Titanboa are unique in that they are egg layers but you cannot breed them. It's late here and yes you're completely right. I don't even know why I said that tbh. 

I like the idea though. Hunting for eggs in the trenches just to make special egg kibble could make for a lot of fun instead of just sitting at base waiting for Titanboas to drop them. And despite the fact trench running may be slightly faster, due to the increase risk of dying I believe would create a nice balance between the two options.

I also like the sentiment that it gives players more of a reason to take the crappy eggs and refresh spawns.

The only down-side I can see to adding them is that those on the island miss out. But island players miss out on a lot of things.

Well, Scorched doesn't have hesperornis, so you could argue that's what they get instead. Maybe they should make giga eggs special, or let us pick up water dino eggs and use those?

1 minute ago, Oli4 said:

The ease of getting cooked meat/berries early game outweighs the advantage of having non spoiling food(prime jerky takes time to make+oil)

There are lots of examples where people can choose to make something and someone will say that's a waste of time, do this instead.  Tranq arrows for example.  Just last week a guy was making a case for not making tranq darts anymore thanks to the snow owl.  I myself can see the benefit of making jerky, especially early game where I might not have a fridge yet and am tired of having to constantly cook more meat.  Clearly meat has healing benefits you can't get with berries, so it's already superior to berries as well with the benefit that it spoils so slow.  Tell a backpacker that he should just take a cooked steak with him on hikes LOL.

1 hour ago, Boshek77 said:

The only thing I would say about early game jerky use as you are describing it would be the availability of oil.  It can be very difficult to get oil early game.  I do agree late game it is nice, but I would definitely stick to my custom foods.

Depends on the map of course and where you live.  On the island some beaches have tons of Trilobites for example.  On Rag and SE you have access to Oil wells, Extinction you can kill Enforcers, Center best bet is hit the snow, not sure about Ab since I haven't been there in awhile.

7 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

Depends on the map of course and where you live.  On the island some beaches have tons of Trilobites for example.  On Rag and SE you have access to Oil wells, Extinction you can kill Enforcers, Center best bet is hit the snow, not sure about Ab since I haven't been there in awhile.

Oil on aberration is pretty tedious since before you can get hazmat (which requires oil) to get down to the oil nodes in the radiation area, you need oil for the fabricator. So your solutions are killing trilobites, or going to the surface (With many exits having a spore wall that will kill you without hazmat or very high hp character/fast dino to sprint through.

25 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Anyone else grossed out that Ark only have 1 kind of oil. No distinction between crude petroleum oil and food oils from plants or butters from animals.

There is two types, kind of. The standard oil and then the stuff which tusos and basilos produce in their inventory which is exactly the same but has a spoil timer on it. 

5 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Well, Scorched doesn't have hesperornis, so you could argue that's what they get instead. Maybe they should make giga eggs special, or let us pick up water dino eggs and use those?

Mantis could also be added to the special kibble list. Their eggs drop more infrequently than other dinos and they are unable to be bred also...

On 1/13/2019 at 6:28 PM, Jacira said:

*snip*

In any event, it looks like the size of greenhouses in every tribe are going to double or even triple with this new format. I don't claim to know how the excessive amount of structures on a server contributes to lag or load times, but with most things in Ark the bigger things are the more things break.

It is not a bad change to the system!  It is bad for someone who focuses on making and selling kibble in stacks of 100 and has created an economy around it, because it slows the game down for you.  You trade kibble for things so you don't have to farm, and instead AFK in base, collect eggs, pull crops and berries from greenhouse, cook kibble, and get metal/walls/tek.  It is bad for you, I can see that.  But for many people, it's not as bad of a change!  And you specifically titled the thread "A kibble traders criticism..."

On 1/13/2019 at 11:54 PM, SaltyMonkey said:

No sympathy for traders because you created this economy, Wildcard didn’t.

Pretty much this.  It is the kibble-seller's problem!  Most other people will see it easier to make most kibbles.  Some will stay harder to get, but they were always harder to get.  It's just that now it's gonna take more time to see eggs drop instead of having more creatures to tame.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:44 AM, Vaculity said:

Problem is their egg are too easy to get once you have the right stragety and creatures for it.

Yep.  Once you have a single wyvern, getting wyvern eggs is very, very easy.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:10 AM, flamron said:

It would also potentially drive purchases of DLC like Ab. So it would benefit Wildcard. 

This is something that does not and should not have any bearing on any change that the community supports.  A company making more money does not necessarily speed up content delivery, or improve the lives of the players at all.  It just gets the company more money!

On 1/14/2019 at 12:22 PM, Melcreif said:

Yeah the only problem is, as someone pointed out, oil.  Most times when you have a preserving bin up, you dont have a ton of spare oil or maybe any at all.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:30 PM, Melcreif said:

There are lots of examples where people can choose to make something and someone will say that's a waste of time, do this instead.  Tranq arrows for example.  Just last week a guy was making a case for not making tranq darts anymore thanks to the snow owl.  I myself can see the benefit of making jerky, especially early game where I might not have a fridge yet and am tired of having to constantly cook more meat.  Clearly meat has healing benefits you can't get with berries, so it's already superior to berries as well with the benefit that it spoils so slow.  Tell a backpacker that he should just take a cooked steak with him on hikes LOL.

IT WAS MEEEEE!!  But it was in a specific thread about the usefulness/non-usefulness of the Snow Owl.  About the healing properties of jerky/cooked meat, I agree with both sides personally.  It is much easier to just cook meat, but the long spoilage of jerky is very nice.

I really don't get this:

Wasn't the whole point of kibble being super-OP in terms of taming-efficiency that it is difficult to optain it? This now doesnt seem to be difficult at all.

With Dodo, Raptor, Terror Bird and Moschops you fill the first four categories which no problem at all - and with small, easy to store dinos

Also I don't what the issue with the Lazarus is... I do deep sea ocean runs frequently and I never used a scuba-tank; Lazarus is way to easy to cook

Honestly I don't really see it being a problem the way it is now, I haven't read how or if the kibble rework will effect imprinting. But the way they have it is fine there are a few people who want to tame their own stuff maybe start their own breeding lines. But the majority of players would rather farm mats to buy their dino's/eggs see it all the time when new people come on a server they wait for a x2 weekend farm all weekend and buy a slew of dino's from the mats they farmed. Again haven't read anything about how the imprinting is gonna pan out but it will probably be mostly basic - superior kibble for the most part, and what people will be asking for.   I wouldn't add wyvern/drake eggs either way to easy to get, really no point in adding other dino's or changing their lay rate either. Honestly all anyone is gonna do is just keep whatever dino lays the most eggs per day or if they don't have the space they will go with something smaller. How many dino's would they possibly put in the extraordinary kibble category?  Giga, yuty, mosa, quetz, don't really see them adding that much more maybe 1-2 per expansion only because the tamable dino's keeps getting less and less with each expansion.  

So the upper 2 kibbles will really have almost no demand, I will say they should add prime meat jerky back in don't understand why they would take it out now since its been in since the beginning would be like taking the giga out of the game now. 

Archived