Unofficial population HORRIBLE

TREATS503

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The market is saturated with a billion servers offering ridiculous boosts. You need to have a niche to be popular, or maybe constant wipes. Id assume your trying to host a pvp server? 

Do you play your server aswell? Lots of people dont like pvp if the admin also plays activley (more chance for abuse if admin is wiped / gets salty)

We've got a cluster of 5 maps that has, throughout the day, 20-25 active players. On our lowest, you'll see 1-3 in each server. At our most active upwards of 9 or 10.

What is really cool on our cluster is that we have cross cluster chat enabled, meaning when you type something on extinction it repeats your message seamlessly to island, abberation, center and ragnarok instantly. So even on the lowest population times you're never really playing alone.

10 minutes ago, RasFW said:

We've got a cluster of 5 maps that has, throughout the day, 20-25 active players. On our lowest, you'll see 1-3 in each server. At our most active upwards of 9 or 10.

What is really cool on our cluster is that we have cross cluster chat enabled, meaning when you type something on extinction it repeats your message seamlessly to island, abberation, center and ragnarok instantly. So even on the lowest population times you're never really playing alone.

Thats neat! How does tribe chat work with that? Would be really good for cross ark trades

1 hour ago, TREATS503 said:

Has anyone had success improving their unofficial server numbers? The servers are empty most times of the day. How many recurring players do you have on your dedicated server or server you play on? 

It all depends on what you want from your server. Do you want a high population, or do you want more consistency? Reach out to people instead of just advertising, find out what people want, then find your niche. But like others have said, the servers are so over saturated with high boosts that people have probably forgotten that anything else still exists.

I'm not sure how our admin set it up. As for tribes, tribe is server only. We also have members in a tribe together on one server, but might be neutral or at war with the same players on another. 

It's a pretty casual good fun PvP server mostly. Theres just one group who plays it like official and feels the need to wipe. 

7 maps on my cluster. The reality is, word of mouth is your best form of bringing in new players. But to be honest, other titles are drawing people away and people who want to play this game, go straight to single player or official. The advertising platforms to reach randoms for unofficial are hopeless. They are swamped with too many servers to think of, and too many variations of gameplay.

I went out of my way to buy a Ryzen Threadripper 1950X, with 128 GB of ram, with a dedicated 10G ethernet card and a new aftermarket modem with a 100 Mbps line, best I can buy. Best I could do is draw in a few players who say I have servers better performing than official, and although this fact, I can't draw the attention I need to get the servers at max use. I don't even ask for any money in return. I spend my own time out of my day to service customer support.

This is the reality of the unofficial. ?

12 hours ago, TREATS503 said:

Has anyone had success improving their unofficial server numbers? The servers are empty most times of the day. How many recurring players do you have on your dedicated server or server you play on? 

Gota find something unique to draw players. Here are two ideas:

1. Make a PvE server but put in a 3 irl days per 30irl days a purge event that turns on full pvp. Put in a scripted event that plays 'The Purge' siren sound.

2. Make a cluster of pvp and pve servers, allow transfers between them.

Just two thoughts that came to mind. I would actually try option 1 tbh.

I have had Nitrado servers on PC, PS4, and Xbox since available from Nitrado.  People come and go but overall people stay a couple months, get bored, and move on.  I currently have four Xbox One servers, about ten currently playing regularly.  I dont worry about it.  I setup the servers like I want to play and help people when needed.  I did have a server for each map but grew tired of paying for servers I didn’t play on and didn’t have much traffic.  People spread out to thin.  I now have the Island, Ragnarok, Abberation, and Extinction on Xbox One.  The Center and Scorched don’t have anything unique to offer.

So many servers, I honestly don’t think its a worthy adventure if your goal is popularity.  Just run it how you enjoy playing and have fun.

2 hours ago, dodogal said:

Google it up

ark survival admin abuse on unofficial servers

The unofficial community tend to stick to only unofficials so the population remains the same. This topic is about obtaining that population to grow your server community.

Let me take a page out of your book and end with this; only official players cheat on Ark. You can’t cheat as an admin because the tools available to you are in the form of commands. Admin abuse does not exist because it is your server, but corruption may occur and that is the term you should be using for that context. I’ve been ascused of admin abuse for enforcing my own rules so go figure.

21 minutes ago, Nuggie said:

The problem I have with unofficial is there is nothing that is going to keep some nerd admin from changing the playing field.

Trusting some random's integrity is more than I'm willing to accept at this point.

See this is the biggest issue, people love to pull "admin abuse" for zero reason.

For example on my cluster the island has slightly higher rates but lower lvl dinos than the other maps to server as a beginner map. One tribe came along and were fighting others no biggie but when one of the more advanced tribes (we got maybe 3 tribes who argue over which is alpha) from ragnarok transfered over and used a rock elemental to wreck said tribe they were crying "admin abuse" til the cows came home.

Moral is rather than accept that time equals more goods and power (usually) people are quick to find any excuse to make themselves feel better.  Its a problem with Ark in general but worse on unofficial where the warcry of the weak is "admin abuse".

33 minutes ago, Nuggie said:

The problem I have with unofficial is there is nothing that is going to keep some nerd admin from changing the playing field.

Trusting some random's integrity is more than I'm willing to accept at this point.

I really don't think that this is the problem. The real problem is that people want to play a multiplayer game with other people. Officials have a guarantee of players, but the quality of their servers is lackluster. Also, official offers a type of game play that people can bank on. Kinda like how you know what kind of food you are getting if you go to McDonalds. However unofficial can be modded and typically is so to make the game play better. However, there are so many varieties of servers out there, and so many combinations, that it can be a bit overwhelming. The sea of servers is stupid really. It does not help that the in-game server list does not even list all servers available. In fact, the in-game list only lists some servers and then stops. The unofficial server list of advertisements is not prominently displayed anywhere where people would go to check for it. The whole unofficial thing is basically a half baked idea that Wildcard Studios didn't give 2 craps about caring for.

And yet I keep getting these people who I want to call names at to match their actions, keep bringing up admin abuse. I highly doubt any of you guys have even played an unofficial server.

13 minutes ago, Sphere said:

I really don't think that this is the problem. The real problem is that people want to play a multiplayer game with other people. Officials have a guarantee of players, but the quality of their servers is lackluster. Also, official offers a type of game play that people can bank on. Kinda like how you know what kind of food you are getting if you go to McDonalds. However unofficial can be modded and typically is so to make the game play better. However, there are so many varieties of servers out there, and so many combinations, that it can be a bit overwhelming. The sea of servers is stupid really. It does not help that the in-game server list does not even list all servers available. In fact, the in-game list only lists some servers and then stops. The unofficial server list of advertisements is not prominently displayed anywhere where people would go to check for it. The whole unofficial thing is basically a half baked idea that Wildcard Studios didn't give 2 craps about caring for.

And yet I keep getting these people who I want to call names at to match their actions, keep bringing up admin abuse. I highly doubt any of you guys have even played an unofficial server.

Very good points, theres also another to consider: "Validity"

The big draw to official is its 'real' (even if the unofficial played is 100% official rates and specs) so people can brag about their accomplishments and feel validated knowing they were on the same playing field as others. People will cry "thats not real!" On unofficial.

30 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Very good points, theres also another to consider: "Validity"

The big draw to official is its 'real' (even if the unofficial played is 100% official rates and specs) so people can brag about their accomplishments and feel validated knowing they were on the same playing field as others. People will cry "thats not real!" On unofficial.

Meanwhile, the game is run on the Unreal engine. Come on... nobody is going to run default stats and compete against official. The first thing everybody says is, why play your server if it's the same as official?

46 minutes ago, Sphere said:

Meanwhile, the game is run on the Unreal engine. Come on... nobody is going to run default stats and compete against official. The first thing everybody says is, why play your server if it's the same as official?

I know that, my example was exactly that point. Even if it was exactly official stats to a tee, an official die hard would invalidate it with their mindset on how official is 'real' and an unofficial isnt, even if the stats are the exact same as official. 

A good chunk want of players just want to be in an official network. Wouldn't it be neat if a few server owners could come together to create an official-like experience (with the QOL of unofficial) through multiple high quality servers...but it actually work? I've seen more than a few of these big startup mega server posts in my days, lots of hype then fail.

1 minute ago, d1nk said:

I know that, my example was exactly that point. Even if it was exactly official stats to a tee, an official die hard would invalidate it with their mindset on how official is 'real' and an unofficial isnt, even if the stats are the exact same as official. 

A good chunk want of players just want to be in an official network. Wouldn't it be neat if a few server owners could come together to create an official-like experience (with the QOL of unofficial) through multiple high quality servers...but it actually work? I've seen more than a few of these big startup mega server posts in my days, lots of hype then fail.

The reason I got a Threadripper 1950X was to have all the maps and have the cluster to support whatever somebody wants. If the new Ryzen 2 Threadrippers work on my X399 motherboard, I will look at getting 24 cores with more single core performance.

53 minutes ago, Sphere said:

The reason I got a Threadripper 1950X was to have all the maps and have the cluster to support whatever somebody wants. If the new Ryzen 2 Threadrippers work on my X399 motherboard, I will look at getting 24 cores with more single core performance.

Yeah thats awesome, ive read a few threads where you've spoken about the hardware.

What I meant is more like.. 4 or 5 different server boxes like yours, each hosting 4 or 5 maps (whichever is optimal for performance) while each map having 20+ concurrent players, similar to a mini official. Ive seen a few threads about people trying it, even a convincing reddit post that had traction and then fell off.

Would be neat. Could even get some sort of WC support for adverising, other games do supported fansites, servers, youtubers etc, why not a server cluster? 

8 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Yeah thats awesome, ive read a few threads where you've spoken about the hardware.

What I meant is more like.. 4 or 5 different server boxes like yours, each hosting 4 or 5 maps (whichever is optimal for performance) while each map having 20+ concurrent players, similar to a mini official. Ive seen a few threads about people trying it, even a convincing reddit post that had traction and then fell off.

Would be neat. Could even get some sort of WC support for adverising, other games do supported fansites, servers, youtubers etc, why not a server cluster? 

Steve Jobs, I believe it was he that said it was not the best product that sells, but the best advertised. Makes sense since the Crapple is made with some of the worst hardware design and their customer support can be appalling in anti-consumer practice, but people buy it at a Cult-like behavior because, it's Apple, think different.

We need better exposure.

@sphere

No, I have never played unofficial.

If you're trying to promote your server and win me over to it give it your best shot. Rather than whining about how you've spent such and such for hardware-xyz maybe give a sale's pitch about how your server/cluster is a better experience than playing official. Right now all I've seen is a salty reply that slightly puts me off.

As a forewarning: I've been playing Prim+ official for the last year. Our far east streamer friends have come through twice to make money off destroying my progress (they semi-succeeded in the money part [we got their stream shut down for a few weeks by their communist government not liking the names of our parasaurs], and failed on setting us back to naked people punching trees on the beach).

I'm a tough nut to crack, but I'm willing to stick with it through thick and thin once I've committed.

Let's see what you've got, mister.

48 minutes ago, Nuggie said:

@sphere

No, I have never played unofficial.

If you're trying to promote your server and win me over to it give it your best shot. Rather than whining about how you've spent such and such for hardware-xyz maybe give a sale's pitch about how your server/cluster is a better experience than playing official. Right now all I've seen is a salty reply that slightly puts me off.

As a forewarning: I've been playing Prim+ official for the last year. Our far east streamer friends have come through twice to make money off destroying my progress (they semi-succeeded in the money part [we got their stream shut down for a few weeks by their communist government not liking the names of our parasaurs], and failed on setting us back to naked people punching trees on the beach).

I'm a tough nut to crack, but I'm willing to stick with it through thick and thin once I've committed.

Let's see what you've got, mister.

This is not the place to advertise my server. My responses so far are putting off because this is not the location on the forum for sales pitch.

Archived