Kibble Rework Beta Feedback

Jen

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest EnergyDrink

To tame a Karkinos you will now have to tame it with Rock drake eggs? 150lvl karkinos on 1x will take 50 rock drake eggs? Or how does it work?

When I fed a lvl 85 pteradon 2 simple kibble did it only gained 3.2% taming in single player(with default boosted single player settings). In the past would 2 dodo kibble be enough for at least 50% taming. Meat even gives more taming progress then kibble now, something is clearly bugged.

EDIT: When I look with awesome spyglass mod at ptera does it shown that it needs REGULAR kibble, maybe is this a wiki rather than game error. Will try regular kibble later.

On 2/5/2019 at 10:46 AM, kolpo said:

When I fed a lvl 85 pteradon 2 simple kibble did it only gained 3.2% taming in single player(with default boosted single player settings). In the past would 2 dodo kibble be enough for at least 50% taming. Meat even gives more taming progress then kibble now, something is clearly bugged.

EDIT: When I look with awesome spyglass mod at ptera does it shown that it needs REGULAR kibble, maybe is this a wiki rather than game error. Will try regular kibble later.

Yeah just FYI, the wiki got changed by someone and completely threw off the actual real info. Should be accurate in a few weeks whenever the patch is pushed to stable.

On the creatures I tested it on is the info from awesome spyglass accurate(maybe does it pull data directly from game).  We can us that until wiki is updated.

I like the new kibble system, egg farms are now smaller. People are free to use whatever animal they prefere from each size class except special eggs.

How about adding special eggs to the loot of female alpha creatures? Still a challenge and better gameplay than gigantic snake pits.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:01 AM, NeddyTheNoodle said:

It isn't helpful when you complain about an issue without explaining how it's negative. Provide evidence for your claim, or else it's pointless to make it in the first place.

Okay, excuse me, you're right at least on the first part. Let me rephrase. My point is I am not convinced this update was necessary, nor am I convinced it adds any meaningful beneficial content to the game, nor am I convinced that the well established history of updates breaking existing content is worth this implementation. This is not a positive claim, This position is consistent with the null hypothesis, as such I have no burden of proof to furnish evidence for it. 

48 minutes ago, Neelix1 said:

Okay, excuse me, you're right at least on the first part. Let me rephrase. My point is I am not convinced this update was necessary, nor am I convinced it adds any meaningful beneficial content to the game, nor am I convinced that the well established history of updates breaking existing content is worth this implementation. This is not a positive claim, This position is consistent with the null hypothesis, as such I have no burden of proof to furnish evidence for it. 

This is not a null hypothesis.  The null hypothesis would be that, simply, there is no significant difference between the gameplay with the current iteration of kibble and gameplay with the beta iteration of kibble. IF you really want it to be a null hypothesis, it would be no statistical difference, so no statistically significant difference in creatures tamed for kibble, crops harvested, time taken to craft, numbers of specific creatures tamed etc. By the discussion and feedback generated, this would appear to be false. So, indeed, it is on your end to demonstrate how it could break the game, why this is not beneficial, and if your position is the null hypothesis, why it would not result in measurable changes to ARK's gameplay. Note that demonstrating the latter automatically invalidates the former, and vice versa. 

The potential merits and impact on gameplay of this change have been previously discussed- at great length- in this thread. 

4 hours ago, Eldar Seer said:

This is not a null hypothesis.  The null hypothesis would be that, simply, there is no significant difference between the gameplay with the current iteration of kibble and gameplay with the beta iteration of kibble. IF you really want it to be a null hypothesis, it would be no statistical difference, so no statistically significant difference in creatures tamed for kibble, crops harvested, time taken to craft, numbers of specific creatures tamed etc. By the discussion and feedback generated, this would appear to be false. So, indeed, it is on your end to demonstrate how it could break the game, why this is not beneficial, and if your position is the null hypothesis, why it would not result in measurable changes to ARK's gameplay. Note that demonstrating the latter automatically invalidates the former, and vice versa. 

The potential merits and impact on gameplay of this change have been previously discussed- at great length- in this thread. 

Look, I'm not here to argue Philosophy of Science here, we can do that somewhere else if you want, but you're right.. The point I'm trying to make is, I am not convinced this game will improve my enjoyment of the game, thats the context I should have specified, I was sloppy thats fair. . So, no, accounting for tamed kibble, all that are separate claims that have their own separate hypotheses. If you want me to clean up my language thats fair, I get it, I decided to be pedantic, I deserve what I dish out, all is fair. So let me try this again, I am not convinced this rework gives a meaningful advantage to the game, and I am using that in the context of, my personal enjoyment of the game. Are you satisfied with that? Or do I need to revise it further.

It seems to me like an update no one asked for (I'm sure somebody did, I'm being hyperbolic),  when I'm still dealing with bugs that have existed since I first started playing this game 2 years ago, like getting stuck in floors, wild carnos clipping through walls and killing my tames that are inside a sealed building I've built, game crashes from random errors I couldn't even begin to decipher what they mean with the long strings of code the popup describes, like my guns sticking on the reload animation which costs me critical time to reload to survive an encounter, the absolutely dismal inaccuracy of the gun sights and hit detection, as someone who comes from a first person shooter background, this one particularly bothers me, and the list goes on. Those issues seem far more pressing, than changing the kibble recipes and devoting a bunch of time to that, they're not adding new content, they're changing whats already there, (which I don't think is inherently a bad thing) but I feel like this is one of the things that isn't a problem that needs addressed. 

Anyway thats my feedback, for what its worth.

Tis much better, as it actually, well, gives feedback- why you think it is not beneficial. I disagree with your arguments, as I think those who have also argued in favor of this rework in this thread would. I also think that the issues you mention can be worked on as well without sacrificing the rework, as can be evidenced by the fact patches have continued to be pushed while the beta is ongoing. However, I have said my piece earlier in the thread, and thus will end it there.

Taking a look, some of the placement of creatures is interesting. For example, Spino is a kibble tier below Rex, despite being on equal footing with the Rex now. Not complaining but just wondering why they made some of these tiers the way they are.

The names can be a little confusing to me, "Extraordinary" and "Exceptional" are very similar in name. Maybe chance "Extraordinary" to "Special" or "Fantastic"

Same with "Basic" and "Simple" IMO

I believe Araneo (Spider), Mantis, and Basilisk eggs are all missing from kibble recipes, I would suggest adding Basilisk eggs to the same category as Wyvern and Rock Drake or to the now Extraordinary category. Not sure where Mantis and Spider eggs should go, maybe with Large Eggs?

Also, if you are going to have golden eggs be one of two choices for Extraordinary, you need to add the Hesperonis to all maps. Currently, it is impossible to get golden eggs on Aberration or Scorched barring transfers.  

20 hours ago, Neelix1 said:

Look, I'm not here to argue Philosophy of Science here, we can do that somewhere else if you want, but you're right.. The point I'm trying to make is, I am not convinced this game will improve my enjoyment of the game, thats the context I should have specified, I was sloppy thats fair. . So, no, accounting for tamed kibble, all that are separate claims that have their own separate hypotheses. If you want me to clean up my language thats fair, I get it, I decided to be pedantic, I deserve what I dish out, all is fair. So let me try this again, I am not convinced this rework gives a meaningful advantage to the game, and I am using that in the context of, my personal enjoyment of the game. Are you satisfied with that? Or do I need to revise it further.

It seems to me like an update no one asked for (I'm sure somebody did, I'm being hyperbolic),  when I'm still dealing with bugs that have existed since I first started playing this game 2 years ago, like getting stuck in floors, wild carnos clipping through walls and killing my tames that are inside a sealed building I've built, game crashes from random errors I couldn't even begin to decipher what they mean with the long strings of code the popup describes, like my guns sticking on the reload animation which costs me critical time to reload to survive an encounter, the absolutely dismal inaccuracy of the gun sights and hit detection, as someone who comes from a first person shooter background, this one particularly bothers me, and the list goes on. Those issues seem far more pressing, than changing the kibble recipes and devoting a bunch of time to that, they're not adding new content, they're changing whats already there, (which I don't think is inherently a bad thing) but I feel like this is one of the things that isn't a problem that needs addressed. 

I find the kibble rework to be a space saver in all honesty and easier to manage than having gods knows how many different kibble types cause of the egg used to make it and remembering which dino prefers which type of kibble (as some are very picky) when you can go "Oh hey, that one likes simple kibble, and I've plenty of small eggs of different types to make it!" compared to "Oh lets see.... *looks up information* Ok he likes raptor egg kibble, let me see if I have any raptor eggs on hand *goes to look* nope all out let me go find my raptors to breed them for an egg..." That gets old fast and takes up a lot of time.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:32 PM, Neelix1 said:

Read enough Reddit threads, and it won't be long before you find someone complaining that a certain server is dino capped. Yeah, that's a thing on official. Once that cap is reached, it's simply impossible to tame a new dino. If anything, the kibble rework will reduce the amount of extra dino peoples need to keep around just so that they can get kibble, which in the end, can't even be used past a certain point. The current system with the limitations imposed by the game is self defeating.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:11 PM, Neelix1 said:

By "evidence", I mean explain your reasoning for why you think this way. The update makes the kibble tree much easier and less grindy. Why is this not a meaningful thing?

On 2/13/2019 at 8:08 PM, Enalung said:

Read enough Reddit threads, and it won't be long before you find someone complaining that a certain server is dino capped. Yeah, that's a thing on official. Once that cap is reached, it's simply impossible to tame a new dino. If anything, the kibble rework will reduce the amount of extra dino peoples need to keep around just so that they can get kibble, which in the end, can't even be used past a certain point. The current system with the limitations imposed by the game is self defeating.

As has been discussed numerous times, people will just replace those kibble dinosaurs with other tames. So the new system, at least in terms of the taming cap, is actually self defeating.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:54 AM, NeddyTheNoodle said:

By "evidence", I mean explain your reasoning for why you think this way. The update makes the kibble tree much easier and less grindy. Why is this not a meaningful thing?

Because it is going to take out a massive chunk of gameplay content by removing kibble tree progression. As Neelix1 said, it doesn't add any content-it actually removes it. It's only the vocal minority that wants an easy oversimplified taming system. There are a lot of people that enjoy the content that kibble tree progression offers, which yes, includes grinding. We have for 3 years.

Imagine if Skyrim removed the need for caves and world walls to unlock Shouts and spells to make it "easier and less grindy". Imagine if World of Warcraft or Runescape removed level requirements for armor. Imagine if Minecraft let you craft any weapon  you want with a simple pool of resources. You're dumbing down the game by removing core gameplay elements.

The new kibble system is actively removing, directly and indirectly, huge amounts of content many people paid for. We need an option to keep the old kibble system.

12 hours ago, girlygirlgamer322 said:

As has been discussed numerous times, people will just replace those kibble dinosaurs with other tames. So the new system, at least in terms of the taming cap, is actually self defeating.

I never thought I'd see the day someone else said this openly on the forums.

So far, it looks very strange.  Many things use their own eggs to tame.  We'll see how it works out I guess.

Archived