PVE servers unplayable, 15 minute map saves causing 10 second game freezes

Skiidzman

I have been playing ark for years, probably approaching 4k hours.  I recently decided to give PVE a try, and I have been to over 15 different PVE maps.

Basically, it has become unplayable.  Apparently the developers added in a "game save" that saves the map EVERY 15 minutes.  

EVERY 15 minutes when the game saves, you will freeze in-game for 10 seconds or longer.  You out doing wyvern egg runs?  Expect to freeze for 10 seconds in the middle of it.  You doing a metal run with a friend?  You will teleport a mile away from them when it freezes.  You on a managarmr? You will be launched into outer space from the lag if you jump during a 10 second freeze.

Think about that for a minute and tell me how that is acceptable to developers or the creators of this game?  I am asking for some simple help here from the community as I doubt very much anyone from WC will read this post - please put in a ticket telling them to fix this or increase the game save time to something more realistic.  They say the 15 minute game save is to "prevent dupers", I can assure you all its doing is ruining the PVE servers by rendering them unplayable. Nobody wants to freeze in-game every 15 minutes.  If a dev/someone from the Wildcard team reads this, I encourage you to go to any PVE map, i.e. extinction 506, rag 68, you name it - it doesn't matter, and you will experience nonstop freezes.

Put in a ticket.  Write feedback, I am just asking for any help in general.  I want to give this game one last shot, but if this can't be fixed I'm shelfing it and any future games they create.

I prefer the 15minutes over the 30-40min we had before that, especially since you have to wait for the timer to upload stuff(still not sure why that was implemented but ok).

if you are doing things that are somewhat risky just check upload timer before you leave at the transmitter so you know when there will be a short serversave lag

I would agree with the OP. The game freezes every so often and even though I have been able to work around it, I consider it to be an annoyance when I am not cognizant of the timer. I have lost 2 Managarmrs by simply jumping and lagging right after I jumped. The Managarmrs flew up across the ceiling of the map and I immediately died. Submitted a ticket about 3 weeks ago and still waiting for a response from the Devs. 

This autosave really kills the gameplay...

37 minutes ago, Oli4 said:

I prefer the 15minutes over the 30-40min we had before that, especially since you have to wait for the timer to upload stuff(still not sure why that was implemented but ok).

if you are doing things that are somewhat risky just check upload timer before you leave at the transmitter so you know when there will be a short serversave lag

Sure man, before I do anything in a game, let me go check upload timers.  Not....  That is not a solution, that is something you might do to work around it.

39 minutes ago, shadowkyuubi said:

Try playing unofficial, better chance at better servers and active support team

Stupid thing is, I have my own server. But it's running Extinction, which I quickly got bored of. So I thought I'd try the official Rag servers instead of wiping mine and my friends' progress on my server. The difference in server quality and performance is astounding.

8 minutes ago, Askianna said:

Stupid thing is, I have my own server. But it's running Extinction, which I quickly got bored of. So I thought I'd try the official Rag servers instead of wiping mine and my friends' progress on my server. The difference in server quality and performance is astounding.

Gportal allows you to have multiple servers and assign your "slots" to whatever server you want to run at the moment. when my friends get bored of a map i just switch the slots around, doesn't cost anything extra.

others have said this but i think it really needs repeating: This happens because the server software is not optimized for the way PvEers build, vast mega structures filled with hordes of dinosaurs they will never use and pillaring ACROSS THE ENTIRE MAP  that is actually alot of data to save.  I run a 10 man server off a home server 3.6ghz 32 gigs of ram for my gaming crew.  that is nowhere near the grade of hardware professional servers run on.

42 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

Gportal allows you to have multiple servers and assign your "slots" to whatever server you want to run at the moment. when my friends get bored of a map i just switch the slots around, doesn't cost anything extra.

I know this, thanks. But I'm only paying for 10 slots right now, reduced down as there's no point paying extra when it won't get used. You can assign 6 slots to a server but it won't allow you to start it up.

1 hour ago, Skiidzman said:

So because people dupe their solution is to tax every other ark player to the point where the game is unplayable... sheesh.

Preaching to the choir man!  I don't dupe, even when I played PvP.  But I played unofficial PvP, things are a bit different there.  I did get undermesh-raided, that was super-neat!

But yeah dude.  I hate the transfer timer.

25 minutes ago, TankH said:

Thing is this timer isn't stopping duping. It's back, just not many know how to do it. Not sharing either because this game will end up like legacy again. Settling with fact we can never get wiped on Xbox.

You arent some messiah. You arent the only person who knows a dupe method (probably bought it off someone anyways..) either.

Duping didnt stop, just the most popular methods. Settling with the fact? Why because you've duped enough to save you? I hope you get meshed.

This has gotten a lot worse lately. Many Official Servers during weekends are now almost unplayable. Freezes that leads to all players getting timed out and kicked, servers crashing lag\timeouts that last for 20+ seconds and more. 

After Extinction was launched this is now gamebreaking.  And this is not just about big bases and pve building. 

The Island server I play on has been reasonable playable for 11k ark days. After Extinction big tribes have cryod hundreds of dinos and made their bases smaller, but the server is 10 times worse. Something was changed or introduced with Extinction that Brought this issue. 

Archived