People who claim a LOT of land and not use it

Gantai

Do you think it's justified? 

I'm not talking about the pillars around your base or around space you're using or planning on using

On my server, 1 guy pillared the whole Herb island and isnt even using 10% of it, he logs in once in 10 days to reset.

and that's 1 example, there's like 4 more in my server alone

Your thoughts?

If you built on herb island (you said 10% so I assume a water pen or outpost) would you want someone building beside you?

Ive been on both sides of this fence. Ive been that big tribe thats been on the server for over a year (this aquiring lots of land) and ive been the bob on the beach trying to find a spot. Never once did I cry in local about it though (not saying you are or have) 

I can see reason why people want to keep lots of land these days.. stops a tribe from building a big box and storing in your server (herb isl would be perfect for this) not to mention your server is probably already fighting tame cap for a year.. 

I dont know. I can see both sides of this

This happens alot (PVE) we got some new neighbors one of my members put 5 foundations in a line to stop them blocking out entry to the base, next morning every single one of out behemoths were blocked with foundation Spam and half of the land mass where where on as well as all the beach front... they were Korean so communication was challenging but in the end we sorted it out, also had large tribes overnight completely block off rivers ... (why the hate on boats man lol).. seems peeps just wants more than they need.

Most times it is a legit pillarage.  You just don't know what resource is there that they are protecting because you have not played the game long enough.  Play and tame pets that only eat fish and your eyes will be opened to a whole new world of needs.  I'm sure those who use rexes in boss fights could say the same.  However, I do have a problem with undeveloped housing.  If you are not using the land why did you leave your broken house there?  Please be responsible and KIND to other players and destroy the bases/outposts/cabins/houses you never use.  I go back once every three months and tear down any outpost I lost interest in.  If the server is not crowded and someone asks me in chat to remove a pillar I ask them where and promise to get it down within the week. 

Now, I used to jump up right away and remove pillars for people but then they made a comic of my kindness and all of them started bossing me around, calling me names, and asking me to remove everything.  All my constructions including myself.  So yeah.  I ignore chat a lot anymore.  But I try to do my best for those who play the game respectfully.

An easy solution (but long to implement) for protecting dino spawns would be for the devs to use the same mechanic that prevents building in resource rich areas (such as the mountains on The Island) and apply that to overall mutually agreed areas across each map. This would require a lot of input from the community but it would take away the responsibility from players.

11 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

An easy solution (but long to implement) for protecting dino spawns would be for the devs to use the same mechanic that prevents building in resource rich areas (such as the mountains on The Island) and apply that to overall mutually agreed areas across each map. This would require a lot of input from the community but it would take away the responsibility from players.

I would imagine it takes away a few nice build spots too. While this is a great idea, im worried its a slippery slope in regards to our sandbox game

23 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

If people are protecting spawns, those build spots are already being taken away.

Yeah, true. I guess I just like the idea of them being taken by players (thus its possible to be built on, if they allow it) rather than straight blocked.

It really doesnt affect me either way.. It would be neat for some new mechanics to be added, something totally different than just blocking building but they need to make sure to make them changeable in the .ini! 

Anyone have any fresh ideas to limit building in heavy-spawn zones? 

32 minutes ago, d1nk said:

I just like the idea of them being taken by players (thus its possible to be built on, if they allow it) rather than straight blocked.

I agree, I have played games in which decided to straight up block areas where we could once build and that along with other reasons made a lot of folks leave the game. I think we all like the freedom Ark gives us when it comes to building. If someone blocks an area, with the decay rate the way it is, the area will eventually be released. 

5 hours ago, Sikaflex said:

I agree, I have played games in which decided to straight up block areas where we could once build and that along with other reasons made a lot of folks leave the game. I think we all like the freedom Ark gives us when it comes to building. If someone blocks an area, with the decay rate the way it is, the area will eventually be released. 

Official players who have dedicated a lot of time and effort into their work are afraid to lose what they have earnt, thus reseting the timers on a regular basis, preventing people from ever reclaiming those spots. It takes a lot for people to throw in the towel, and even then, the whole tribe has to move on.

14 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Official players who have dedicated a lot of time and effort into their work are afraid to lose what they have earnt, thus reseting the timers on a regular basis, preventing people from ever reclaiming those spots. It takes a lot for people to throw in the towel, and even then, the whole tribe has to move on.

The whole purpose of the timers is to keep people playing, otherwise things decay and it frees up space on the server. It would take a-lot of folks to claim up an entire server and keep it refreshed. If that's the case, so be it, there are other servers. I can't tell you how many times people have come on our server complaining about the "whole map being pillared" when really it isn't. They are just looking at coastal areas when they make that comment. On our server I couldn't find a coastal piece of land when I started either, did I complain? no. I built on top of a rock at 14-14 in the snow biome. I would venture to say the reason they have not fixed claiming land is because you're suppose to be able to claim land. It also isn't a huge deal. I have never NOT been able to find a server I couldn't build on either tree house, land, or water.

8 hours ago, Sikaflex said:

The whole purpose of the timers is to keep people playing, otherwise things decay and it frees up space on the server. It would take a-lot of folks to claim up an entire server and keep it refreshed. If that's the case, so be it, there are other servers. I can't tell you how many times people have come on our server complaining about the "whole map being pillared" when really it isn't. They are just looking at coastal areas when they make that comment. On our server I couldn't find a coastal piece of land when I started either, did I complain? no. I built on top of a rock at 14-14 in the snow biome. I would venture to say the reason they have not fixed claiming land is because you're suppose to be able to claim land. It also isn't a huge deal. I have never NOT been able to find a server I couldn't build on either tree house, land, or water.

I have never been able to find a server I couldn't build on either tree house, land, or water.*

sounded like you have never found a server you could build on ?

I honestly see both sides. Usually when a person pillars a place (or at least me) is because I want to secure the spot. However, I don't just leave it unoccupied but instead work my butt off to do what I imagined the place would look like. Shortly after the place is up and running. 

With that being said, I can and have little tolerance for people that just want to save space and not use it. 

Unfortunately, there isn't a real way to counter this so it will continue happening as long as the person keeps logging in to reset it.

This is why I moved to unofficial. I didn't have a problem with people who pillared a little to protect their borders, but too many people pillar spammed and claimed huge chunks of land, then never used it. Or in one case right after I left legacy, a tribe pillared herbivore island, carno island and the footpaw. Then kept posting in global trying to sell it off to other tribes. Bought my nitrado server a few days later. 

We pillar around our base area to ensure we dont get blocked in, and occasionally will pillar for an outpost in a remote area but never pillar for no reason. I like having neighbours, just not on my front door step :) 

Always though I will happily remove a pillar or two if someone needs access or something. 

Pillars have become a bit necessary on some servers but spamming is just griefing and people know its griefing hence why they do it.

14 hours ago, RipMoFo said:

I have never been able to find a server I couldn't build on either tree house, land, or water.*

sounded like you have never found a server you could build on ?

That sentence actually says "I have never been able to find a server I COULDN'T build on"

Meaning, every server I have come across I could build on.

13 hours ago, AVENGED said:

This is why I moved to unofficial. I didn't have a problem with people who pillared a little to protect their borders, but too many people pillar spammed and claimed huge chunks of land, then never used it. Or in one case right after I left legacy, a tribe pillared herbivore island, carno island and the footpaw. Then kept posting in global trying to sell it off to other tribes. Bought my nitrado server a few days later. 

You are right, some people do spam pillar much more than just around their base.

However, the map is huge, I have never seen it really have that much of an effect on finding a place to build.

1 hour ago, Sikaflex said:

You are right, some people do spam pillar much more than just around their base.

However, the map is huge, I have never seen it really have that much of an effect on finding a place to build.

Didn't say I couldn't find places to build, I had a nice base set up when that tribe joined the server and started laying pillars everywhere. 

14 hours ago, AVENGED said:

20 minutes ago, AVENGED said:

Didn't say I couldn't find places to build, I had a nice base set up when that tribe joined the server and started laying pillars everywhere. 

I understand, you're right. And I didn't say you said you couldn't find a place to build.

It just seemed this entire thread is based on the statement that too much land is being used by pillar spamming, which I don't agree with.

Archived