Owl

qq2106458330

Very practical, depending on what you use it for. The thing that comes to mind is for taming. The ability to heal up a wild creature your trying to tame is amazing, so you can now heal up herbivores and you dont need to drag corpses to heal up carnivores. Also while its healing ability is not as good as the daedon's, I would much rather feed an owl than a daedon. 

23 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Very practical, depending on what you use it for. The thing that comes to mind is for taming. The ability to heal up a wild creature your trying to tame is amazing, so you can now heal up herbivores and you dont need to drag corpses to heal up carnivores. Also while its healing ability is not as good as the daedon's, I would much rather feed an owl than a daedon. 

^ This.  The Owl practically obsoletes longnecks and tranq darts...  Though I know there is an elitist attitude that goes with darts.  I see people KOing everything with darts because they think they are just "better" when the truth is, darts are only necessary for situations wherein you would kill the animal typically when KOing.  Past that, they are an unnecessarily large drain on resources (your time primarily) that one should avoid whenever possible.  I know they aren't as much as a metal behemoth gate, but compared to a great crossbow and tranq arrow, the arrows cost peanuts compared to darts!  Spend your time doing other stuff than farming dart material.

I KOed and tamed Dimetrodons on Extinction with arrows, because of our Owls.  Dimetrodons have EXTREMELY SHALLOW HP pools, and also EXTREMELY SHORT torpor timers (shorter than Gigas) so if it's possible with them, it is possible with any other tame that typically needs darts to KO due to fragility.

DISCLAIMER:  If you are a dart-hero, so be it, don't let me step on your toes.  Just know that you could be spending time doing other stuff!  Also, 150 Giga has 3min50sec torpor timer, 150 Dimetrodon has 1min26sec (source: dododex.com/torpor-timer).

1 hour ago, TheDonn said:

^ This.  The Owl practically obsoletes longnecks and tranq darts...  Though I know there is an elitist attitude that goes with darts.  I see people KOing everything with darts because they think they are just "better" when the truth is, darts are only necessary for situations wherein you would kill the animal typically when KOing.  Past that, they are an unnecessarily large drain on resources (your time primarily) that one should avoid whenever possible.  I know they aren't as much as a metal behemoth gate, but compared to a great crossbow and tranq arrow, the arrows cost peanuts compared to darts!  Spend your time doing other stuff than farming dart material.

I KOed and tamed Dimetrodons on Extinction with arrows, because of our Owls.  Dimetrodons have EXTREMELY SHALLOW HP pools, and also EXTREMELY SHORT torpor timers (shorter than Gigas) so if it's possible with them, it is possible with any other tame that typically needs darts to KO due to fragility.

DISCLAIMER:  If you are a dart-hero, so be it, don't let me step on your toes.  Just know that you could be spending time doing other stuff!  Also, 150 Giga has 3min50sec torpor timer, 150 Dimetrodon has 1min26sec (source: dododex.com/torpor-timer).

I just prefer the longneck over crossbows. Plus.. them shocking darts :D 

59 minutes ago, d1nk said:

I just prefer the longneck over crossbows. Plus.. them shocking darts :D 

I use a combination crossbows and longnecks. Use crossbow where I know that a tame can take the damage and I am not fussed about downing a tame quickly, I mean I trap most of my tames anyway. I use longnecks for when I need to get a tame down quickly or worry about killing the creature, do love the shocking tranq darts. Saying that with my current crossbows from Raptor Claus, its almost as good as using shockdarts from my ascendant longneck ?

7 hours ago, TheDonn said:

For taking down a Quetzal though, nothing beats a good long neck with shock darts...

3 hours ago, Melcreif said:

For taking down a Quetzal though, nothing beats a good long neck with shock darts...

My point is though, it is no longer necessary.  It is nice, but I've taken down Qbirds on the back-neck of a wyvern floating in air with crossbows, it just takes time and careful headshots.  It is certainly quicker to trap and use darts/shockdarts, but it is no longer needed.  It just takes more time to use crossbow+tranqarrows. 

Owls bump darts and longnecks from being necessary to tame any creature, even fragile ones.

4 hours ago, TheDonn said:

My point is though, it is no longer necessary.  It is nice, but I've taken down Qbirds on the back-neck of a wyvern floating in air with crossbows, it just takes time and careful headshots.  It is certainly quicker to trap and use darts/shockdarts, but it is no longer needed.  It just takes more time to use crossbow+tranqarrows. 

Owls bump darts and longnecks from being necessary to tame any creature, even fragile ones.

Like sure.. you -could- jump off, heal with owl and re shoot .. or just continue shooting with longneck.

Sure the healing is nice, no argument there. It's nice to have options but the longneck is still king :P 

6 hours ago, TheDonn said:

Owl or no owl, given the choice between 12 shocking darts and 33 crossbow bolts (assuming 100% Weapon damage on a 150) I know which method I am using to take out a quetzal. I am not mucking around in the air for longer than I need to, its a nightmare shooting from griffinback as it is. 

2 hours ago, d1nk said:

Like sure.. you -could- jump off, heal with owl and re shoot .. or just continue shooting with longneck.

Sure the healing is nice, no argument there. It's nice to have options but the longneck is still king :P 

16 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Owl or no owl, given the choice between 12 shocking darts and 33 crossbow bolts (assuming 100% Weapon damage on a 150) I know which method I am using to take out a quetzal. I am not mucking around in the air for longer than I need to, its a nightmare shooting from griffinback as it is. 

Time invested to KO aside, the thread is about the relevance of the lil ol' Snow Owl, and my point is, it is very relevant and worth taming/breeding.  I understand that taming will be easier with less shots fired, no argument there.  But as long as you aren't a big-time "hurry up" ARK player, Snow Owls let you play at nearly the same pace as a solo KO'er and not slow down at all.  In fact, crossbows firing at nearly 2x the firing rate of longnecks might put them ahead of longnecks in most scenarios with a Snow Owl.  My earlier example, the Dimetrodon, is one of the most NOTORIOUSLY fragile and short torpor'ed creatures in the entirety of the game of ARK (shorter torpor timer than Gigas with a GOOD 150 KO having less than 3% of a wild Giga's HP pool).  If I, an idiot, can KO it with a crossbow and a Snow Owl, the longneck is most definitely not king anymore, considering materials invested (tame ONE Owl and you're good).  :)

I toss 6 shots into a Dimetrodon:  At 4 seconds torpor gain (stacking) per shot at 2 seconds a shot, meaning in the time of 6 shots, 12 seconds has gone by.  I have delivered from the beginning, 24 seconds of torpor gain.  After my 6th shot, I have a 100% clean 8 seconds to spend the stamina-bar of my Snow Owl to top off the creature's HP, all the while the creatures torpor is still going up.  TAKE A SEAT, LONGNECK!!!  OWL AND CROSSBOW got you, booboo.

The Owl's speed is incredible for point to point flying on Extinction, since I truly hate the Mana's mechanics, I find it my best option.  I also find that it is superior to all of my other flyers for building.  The thing stops on a dime and hovers exactly where you need it to be.  It is awesome.  For any other scenario on Extinction though, I use my argy because of the durability, weight reduction, and capacity.

13 hours ago, TheDonn said:

Oh I don't disagree with you there, but I've gone after Quetzals with Crossbows as well and it's quite painful how many times you have to shoot him. so much better to shock and be done with it LOL.  My time is just too valuable for that.

1 hour ago, Melcreif said:

Oh I don't disagree with you there, but I've gone after Quetzals with Crossbows as well and it's quite painful how many times you have to shoot him. so much better to shock and be done with it LOL.  My time is just too valuable for that.

You sir...  have picked the wrong game then!  :P

I always use shocking whenever possible or darts, in the ocean its the harpoon, the only thing i ever trap to KO are gigas (Gacha loot has also made it possible to KO these with shocking w/o a pen from the back of a griffin rather easily), everything else i drop where it stands from the back of a griffin/thyla (basically any dino you can shoot from the back of) on ab its generally from the back of a dino that can tank while you shoot.  after its KO if it needs a pen to protect it ill drop spikes

Archived