Community Crunch 163: Structures Plus & Kibble Rework Beta This Week!

Jen

Hey Survivors! Welcome to the latest edition of the Community Crunch! :Jerbhi:

Structures Plus (S+) & Kibble Rework!

We're starting off 2019 strong! The promised public beta including S+ and Kibble changes will be available by the end of this week for PC players to play with. When we're ready to share the build we'll give you some more information on how to opt-in to this build through Steam.

S+ Features that will be in the beta branch:

large.image-(1).jpg

Changes:

• Made structure quick pickup time configurable in ini file (ServerSettings -> StructurePickupTimeAfterPlacement, default = 30)
  • Added new ini config option to ignore the duration and always allow quick pickup (ServerSettings -> AlwaysAllowStructurePickup, default = false)
  • Improved quick pickup HUD text to avoid overlapping other text, and to format durations as timestamps if over 60 seconds to support very long times if configured for that
  • Enabled structure quick pickup for ALL structures. For structures that previously had pickup disabled, they now auto-disable quick pickup as soon as the player interacts with the structure in any way (unless AlwaysAllowStructurePickup is set to true)

New structures/variants:

• Added 'smooth' sidewall textures variants (like the stone foundation) to the stock square foundations [Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Thatch, Wood]
  • Triangle foundations [Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood]
  • Triangle ceilings [Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood, Greenhouse]
  • Triangle roofs [Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood, Greenhouse]
  • Large (4x height) walls [Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood]
  • Flexible pipe [Stone, Metal]
  • Flexible electrical cable
  • Stairs (with freely swappable ramp variant) [Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood]
  • Double door frames [Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood]
  • Double doors [Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood]
  • Dedicated storage (Tek structure that allows storing a large amount of a single resource)
  • Fence supports (allows you to build fences that are level along the top) [Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood]

Kibble changes that will be in the beta branch:

All eggs have been assigned a value based on the size and rarity of the egg. These sizes include: Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, and Special. The eggs are used in a recipe to create kibble of a coinciding value: Basic, Simple, Regular, Superior, Exceptional, and Extraordinary. This new system will make it so that creature kibble desires are based on the quality levels instead of specific creatures, which should greatly decrease the number of tamed creatures needed for the purposes of taming.

Regarding previously crafted kibble:

• Old kibbles will not be wiped, and will inherit their new "value/color" appropriately.
  • Old kibbles will still work to tame their appropriate creatures.
  • Old kibble will no longer be craftable, only the new types will be craftable.

We will be taking your feedback into serious consideration regarding both of these changes so we invite you to communicate with us on our social media, the forums, reddit, etc with your opinions and critique. Once we're happy with where these features are at, we will be bringing them over to the PC main game and then to all platforms (Xbox and PS4).

Modding Community Updates!

Hello, Modders!

I just wanted to remind everyone that the application for the sponsored mod program is open again. There is still a month to prepare your projects and apply for the program. Remember that these sponsorships are longer-term support, so I want to see what everyone has planned for up to a year of sponsorship time. 

Head over here to find the application: 
https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/modding/apply-for-sponsorship/

For anyone that isn't familiar with the program, we have a rolling set of community projects for which we provide support to the mod authors. You can check out the current sponsored projects here:
https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/ark-sponsored-mods/

Upcoming Server Maintenance!

At 12:00pm Eastern on January 8th we will be taking down some of Asia servers for maintenance. We expect maintenance to last for approximately 2 hours. During this time the servers will not be running therefore time will not progress. Once the servers are back online, they will require re-adding to your favorites list as they will have new IP addresses. You can find a list of affected servers at the link below.

Nintendo Switch servers will also be going offline for 15 min of maintenance at 12pm EST.

Extinction Transfers Opening Soon!

large_12.jpg

We have been getting a lot of questions about this lately and rightfully so. We will be opening server transfers on our official servers into Extinction on January 15th! This will be on all applicable platforms. There will be no transfer restrictions on creatures (unlike Aberration).

Winter Wonderland Over!

large.1482456762_WW2.jpg

This winter-themed holiday event how officially ended. The event will be turned off on official servers during a deployment tomorrow at 12pm PST, and will also automatically be disabled if your server restarts between now and then.

If you would like to continue the event on your server, you can use the command line: -ActiveEvent=WinterWonderland

Fanart of the Week!

EC3D149E91EB59AD448AD0C2FB0E96C9A7C1F7EB

Snowy Owl by Brzozeur!

Evolution Event!

large.large.EvoEvent.png.eeb58694dd9d4cb

Survivors on all platforms will be receiving a special Evolution Event perk this weekend! It will be active from Friday the 11th of January at 1 PM EST until Monday the 14th of January at 3 PM EST. All Official Servers across each platform will be undergoing this evolutionary change which includes:

2x Harvesting Rates
2x Taming Rates
2x EXP Rates

That's it for this post guys! As always if you’ve got anything to share you can find us at:

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark
Twitch: twitch.tv/survivetheark
Steam: steamcommunity.com/app/346110
Youtube: youtube.com/survivetheark

All the best,
Studio Wildcard

View full article

Something I've been wondering, with the kibble rework, how does this take into account requested kibbles during imprinting? Are babies just going to request any one of the random kibble qualities, or a specific one relative to their species' preferred kibble - i.e. will baby rexes ask for any sort of kibble, such as those that could be made from dodo eggs, quetz eggs, raptor eggs, all different sizes or will they only ask for kibble that matches the pulminoscorpius kibble (regularly used for rex taming)?

Also, about the S+ integration, say I prefer some features that aren't being integrated or changed for main-game implementation, will the actual S+ mod still take precedence over the integration features or will there be conflicts?

Guest LadyValkyrie

verry happy about the new kibble system! it will save the amount of tamed dinos needed so we can actually have space for dinos we need! Thanks! 

Thank you Ark Devs and Jen for making this happen. Please help me understand opting into Beta Branch as I am relatively new to #.   #arksurvialevolved. Will I have to start from scratch on a new beta enabled server? or will mys existing characters be able to do this?

Edited by asmodiandevils
font? omg

1 hour ago, Umber0010 said:

Sweet mary mother of Joseph, That's almost everything I was hoping would be ported over! the only thing I wish was added that I don't think would cause issues is the Hitching post, I mean you can already put beetles and snails into cages

We have dino leash now so the hitch post isn't really needed.

1 hour ago, e4envy said:

Something I've been wondering, with the kibble rework, how does this take into account requested kibbles during imprinting? Are babies just going to request any one of the random kibble qualities, or a specific one relative to their species' preferred kibble - i.e. will baby rexes ask for any sort of kibble, such as those that could be made from dodo eggs, quetz eggs, raptor eggs, all different sizes or will they only ask for kibble that matches the pulminoscorpius kibble (regularly used for rex taming)?

Also, about the S+ integration, say I prefer some features that aren't being integrated or changed for main-game implementation, will the actual S+ mod still take precedence over the integration features or will there be conflicts?

they will probably impliment the imprinting on extinction. basically everything asks for one of the augmented kibbles, a vegetable type, a berry type, a raw meat or cooked meat of some type (haven't had mutton come up yet but i did have a ovis ask for cooked fish o_o)

31 minutes ago, danlillis said:

well i am glad we are getting bigger walls but what about stackable foundations and automatic opening/closeing doors? : D those were my most favorite part of S+ @Jen

i really want stackable foundations too. as far as the auto opening doors I don't know if they will do that considering tek doors do it. i dunno. would be nice to hear something on it one way or another

• Thanks 1

@Jen What's happening to the Structures Plus mod itself? There is talk about the mod being removed from the workshop by end of January and Orionsun can't open source it, nor it's sister mods Platforms Plus and Platforms Anywhere, since WildCard owns the rights to all 3 mods, especially since you are talked about not adding everything in those mods like the utility guns and the utility npc's (Item Collector, Farmer, est.), and the Resource Pulling system.

2 hours ago, PrincessPixie said:

verry happy about the new kibble system! it will save the amount of tamed dinos needed so we can actually have space for dinos we need! Thanks! 

Were you honestly running out of space? Because unless you had your entire map built up and your tame limit maxed, i find it hard to believe you were. 

• Facepalm 3

Was just talking to a friend about how I think the 30 seconds could be useful if it was upped because you might be trying something and when you're done it might not look right but by that time the 30 secs are up 

But sweet new stuff coming to xbox one soon can't wait gonna build some sweet stuff with that might need a day in creative to fiddle with everything before trying on the sever but cool 

Now about the constant crashing kicking from servers and items disappearing from inventorys any words on when that'll be fixed 

3 hours ago, e4envy said:

If they implement the new kibble tree for all the other maps - as they have on Extinction - the babies will want either one of the new kibbles, a berry, an advanced crop, fish, or a meat (even if it's an herbivore). 
The GREATEST benefit of this is you will only need 1 set of eggers per egg size.
And once this new kibble tress is also applied towards taming kibbles - it will be glorious.
Right now there isn't enough sheep on Extinction to mutton tame every meat eater you want. lol

5 hours ago, Umber0010 said:

Sweet mary mother of Joseph, That's almost everything I was hoping would be ported over! the only thing I wish was added that I don't think would cause issues is the Hitching post, I mean you can already put beetles and snails into cages

The devs version of the hitching post is locked behind Extinction, in the form of the Dino Leash.