Equus Power and Racing Classes?

Rakkasan

I have a couple of low level equus I have been breeding to try to figure things out. My wild tames are level 14-15 and have equus power of 2.27 and 2.29. Their offspring have so far inherited the higher equus power. As far as I can tell I haven’t gotten one with a class such as swift. I really wish there was some sort of log that would give detailed info about such events because either I am missing the notification or just having poor luck with the classes. Even better would be if the class identifier was part of the creature info in the center top screen or the creature stats page.

My first generation breeding resulted in twins, one of each gender. I bred them to each other and that offspring did get a stat damage mutation. I also cross bred a generation 2 female with a generation 1 male (no generation 2 males yet), and that offspring didn’t get any of the good stats from either parent, so I’ll not keep it. I did have one female born that had a cool down time for breeding upon completing its maturation. I haven’t seen this on any other type of breeding, and so far it has only been the one equus.

i am continuing my search for equus of a higher level as well as hoping to someday find a unicorn, but they are still really rare even though I go through and clear a couple of spawn locations a day. I have only found two in the past week, both levels below 10, and one died by raptor right as I got to it. I keep hoping the game will someday spawn in some higher levels. At this point I see more quetz than equus and the quetz usually are better levels. If anyone has any suggestions about how to find higher levels I’d love to hear it. Im guessing it’s just luck and time once a spawn area has been cleared. When clearing an area, are there some dinos that are more beneficial to kill vs others? I know some spawns are tied together. Like if I kill all the river fish near my SouthernIsland base I will see a spino spawn in shortly after. Killing all the therizinos, dilos and carbonemy doesnt cause the spino to spawn in, it’s only once I go after the fish. If I don’t kill the fish, my area stays pretty much spino free. Does equus have a link like this?

Ill start off that I have a level 150 and 250 equus. The 250 has a power of 2.54. 

Lightbender, research the spawn map. Every creature in ark has a spawn group and that group has spawn points on the map. The equus belongs to the plains group of memory serves. The spawn map will show you the spawn locations of the equus and the other creatures that belong to the equus. I believe that dinos such as dilo, parasaur, Bronto, trike, carbo, etc all belong to the equus spawn group. So find a spawn point and kill all of the dinos in the spawn group. Keep doing this until you find an equus. 

One thing I’ve found about new creatures is that it always takes a while for new creatures to consistently spawn in. Not sure why. I’m a huge otter fan. I had to grind and grind to get high level otters or even find the first one. After they had been out for a while I was seeing them everywhere. I even accidentally ran into a 300 otter. It took a lot of slaughter to find my first equus. Now I seem to run into them a fair amount. I hate the passive taming mechanic so I don’t think I’ll be taming more, especially without a good use. Now that I have a chemistry bench their saddle has even become antiquated. They aren’t overly fast. Their turn radius sucks. Their attack is useless, both primary and kick. So I’m still not sure why it seems that everybody is so excited about them. I’d really like to know and in an honest and sincere way. I feel like I’m missing something. 

4 minutes ago, Bush84 said:

Ill start off that I have a level 150 and 250 equus. The 250 has a power of 2.54. 

Lightbender, research the spawn map. Every creature in ark has a spawn group and that group has spawn points on the map. The equus belongs to the plains group of memory serves. The spawn map will show you the spawn locations of the equus and the other creatures that belong to the equus. I believe that dinos such as dilo, parasaur, Bronto, trike, carbo, etc all belong to the equus spawn group. So find a spawn point and kill all of the dinos in the spawn group. Keep doing this until you find an equus. 

One thing I’ve found about new creatures is that it always takes a while for new creatures to consistently spawn in. Not sure why. I’m a huge otter fan. I had to grind and grind to get high level otters or even find the first one. After they had been out for a while I was seeing them everywhere. I even accidentally ran into a 300 otter. It took a lot of slaughter to find my first equus. Now I seem to run into them a fair amount. I hate the passive taming mechanic so I don’t think I’ll be taming more, especially without a good use. Now that I have a chemistry bench their saddle has even become antiquated. They aren’t overly fast. Their turn radius sucks. Their attack is useless, both primary and kick. So I’m still not sure why it seems that everybody is so excited about them. I’d really like to know and in an honest and sincere way. I feel like I’m missing something. 

There is a plains spawn group? I usually only look at the individual spawn map for the creature I am seeking. I have only briefly messed around with the spawn map that lets you see more than one creature. I am guessing that’s where I need to seek my info. Thank you! 

I have also noticed that new creatures seem to take time to spawn in consistently. In my game once a creature comes out I head to a spawn area, kill things and leave. I do that at least twice before I start to see what I am seeking. It was like that with otters, baryonyx, and even griffin.

As for my love affair with equus, it’s been a lifelong thing. I have horses and ride irl, so getting to mess with a horse in game makes me happy. I am also hoping to learn more about the new classes and such. While I love horses, I do see the limited usefulness of them in game, especially once into mid game and beyond. So I am guessing the infatuation is partly the newness of equus and another part the new aspects that have been included with classes and such that we have to figure out as a community. I was pretty disappointed when the first equus I tamed couldn’t outrun terror birds and became lunch before we could make it home. Surely a real horse could outrun terror birds.

I should correct myself that the spawn map has it listed as the grassland group not plains. Sorry. Was working off of memory. So go into the spawn map and select equus. You’ll see some spots highlited on the map and you’ll see that the equus has a 1.8% chance of spawning within that spawn group. Check the box “full spawn group details”. When you do this all of the other creatures within that spawn group show up. You now have a place to go to find an equus and you also know exactly what to kill to get it to spawn in. I’m guessing that the percentages are different in mobile. According to the spawn map a diplodocus has roughly an equal chance as an equus to spawn in which is certainly not the case. Anyways...hope that helps. 

56 minutes ago, Bush84 said:

I think Bush that what you are missing is that some people don't care about the practical side of the animals at all (and of course all this in varying degrees). There are people who lean more towards the roleplaying side and, as such, will find certain creatures of value for what others would consider impractical reasons. It's like that for me.

I have been living in the North for a long time and have become very adept at dealing with the cold weather. I am almost surprised these days to even see the pop up saying that I'm cold. (Though "overheating" surprises me. Makes me think I'm in Texas. Wait. I am. :( Lol.) So what benefit would I get out of otters? I certainly don't need them to keep warm. They can't really help me fish all that much. (My Tuso will handle that just fine, thank you.) I can kill an Alpha Mosa or Tuso anytime (I find them) for black pearls. Etc., etc., etc. So what benefit are they to me? They make me smile. Otters are my favorite real world animals. And, with my manhood secure and fully intact, I can say they are just plain cute. That's enough for me.

Also, there is talk about racing classes, and so that has some people excited about the possibility of a whole new aspect of the game, namely racing. Will it develop into all that much? Don't know. But it's enough to get some folks excited.

And think of it this way. If we looked at the game from a purely practical perspective, there wouldn't be much variety in the creatures. Even taking into account the balances between strengths and weaknesses, how many dinos would it take to have harvesting, combat, and transport all covered just fine? Not all that many I think. 

So, not that you're "missing" anything, but I just think perhaps you hadn't considered that perspective? Maybe? :)

:D 

- Rakkasan

I can totally get that.  As such a new creature to mobile I just felt like I was missing something. I always seem to be teetering on the max of my creature limit. As such I’m always looking to trim the fat so to speak. There are a few creatures that I keep around for nostalgic purposes but I do take more stock into a purpose driven Dino. I am also very nervous about getting rid of breeding dinos. I strive to have all of my creatures imprinted. There’s always this voice in the back of my head telling me not to get rid of my two otters, wolves, gigas as what would happen if I lose my tame and had no breeders to pull from?  I could get rid of them and save slots but there’s always the what if. 

3 hours ago, Bush84 said:

I should correct myself that the spawn map has it listed as the grassland group not plains. Sorry. Was working off of memory. So go into the spawn map and select equus. You’ll see some spots highlited on the map and you’ll see that the equus has a 1.8% chance of spawning within that spawn group. Check the box “full spawn group details”. When you do this all of the other creatures within that spawn group show up. You now have a place to go to find an equus and you also know exactly what to kill to get it to spawn in. I’m guessing that the percentages are different in mobile. According to the spawn map a diplodocus has roughly an equal chance as an equus to spawn in which is certainly not the case. Anyways...hope that helps. 

Thank you so much for explaining it! I looked at this when I was new to the game and didn’t know enough to know what I was looking at lol. So I just stuck to the spawn map I understood. On the surface this game is deceptively simple; kill or tame dinos, harvest resources to eek out a life, and don’t die doing any of it. But there is so much more to learn and strive for. So thank you for the info, I am sure this will help so much! ?

2 hours ago, Rakkasan said:

I think Bush that what you are missing is that some people don't care about the practical side of the animals at all (and of course all this in varying degrees). There are people who lean more towards the roleplaying side and, as such, will find certain creatures of value for what others would consider impractical reasons. It's like that for me.

I have been living in the North for a long time and have become very adept at dealing with the cold weather. I am almost surprised these days to even see the pop up saying that I'm cold. (Though "overheating" surprises me. Makes me think I'm in Texas. Wait. I am. :( Lol.) So what benefit would I get out of otters? I certainly don't need them to keep warm. They can't really help me fish all that much. (My Tuso will handle that just fine, thank you.) I can kill an Alpha Mosa or Tuso anytime (I find them) for black pearls. Etc., etc., etc. So what benefit are they to me? They make me smile. Otters are my favorite real world animals. And, with my manhood secure and fully intact, I can say they are just plain cute. That's enough for me.

Also, there is talk about racing classes, and so that has some people excited about the possibility of a whole new aspect of the game, namely racing. Will it develop into all that much? Don't know. But it's enough to get some folks excited.

And think of it this way. If we looked at the game from a purely practical perspective, there wouldn't be much variety in the creatures. Even taking into account the balances between strengths and weaknesses, how many dinos would it take to have harvesting, combat, and transport all covered just fine? Not all that many I think. 

So, not that you're "missing" anything, but I just think perhaps you hadn't considered that perspective? Maybe? :)

:D 

- Rakkasan

Lol, I have a family of unclaimed otters at the edge of my base on my unofficial server. I found much better ones, and unclaimed two parents and an offspring. They have been there for days now, looking super cute and not ready to die in 00:00 seconds. 

16 hours ago, Bush84 said:

I can totally get that.  As such a new creature to mobile I just felt like I was missing something. I always seem to be teetering on the max of my creature limit. As such I’m always looking to trim the fat so to speak. There are a few creatures that I keep around for nostalgic purposes but I do take more stock into a purpose driven Dino. I am also very nervous about getting rid of breeding dinos. I strive to have all of my creatures imprinted. There’s always this voice in the back of my head telling me not to get rid of my two otters, wolves, gigas as what would happen if I lose my tame and had no breeders to pull from?  I could get rid of them and save slots but there’s always the what if. 

And you know, Bush, another thing, a theory as it were, about the Equus comes to mind. 

Familiarity.

We come to Ark because we love the fantasy world of living with dinosaurs. It is exciting. It is awe inspiring.

But perhaps the Equus, with it's familiar look and very familiar sounds, touches something in the human heart that longs for familiarity. Can I really relate to a Giga, T-Rex, Para, Dire Wolf, etc.? Ultimately no. I have only vague points of reference with which to make my connection, that being part of what, for me and some others, gives me happiness when "experiencing" my tames. (I'm one of those nut cases who actually talks, a little, to my tames, and imagines their personalities, etc.)

But a horse! Now there is something belonging to our time, to our world! And even though we run to this other world, part of us feels an instant, deeper relation to a horse, because of its familiarity. I rode my Equus out and about last night, just for fun, and I really, really enjoyed the neighs and nickers and what have you. Yes. It warmed my heart. 

So now, in an alien world that excites me, there is a little more of home, and that comforts me.

Maybe that is part of what makes the Equus so popular for some?

As for the creature limit and the rest, I can relate. 

Presently I have a tribe of 10 of which only 2 are active, so we have more than enough tame slots. But I've been at or over that limit before. In fact not that long ago I was betrayed by the founder of our tribe and her friend. They left for a private server, said they'd never be back, and promised to leave their survivors in the tribe so that we didn't lose any tames. Then they went back on that promise, dropped out, stole a bunch of really nice bps, and put me 34 over my tame limit. 

The server started killing off the excess and chose, somehow, my first and dearest Giga to kill first.

So to save the others I let go of 33 other tames, and that was not pleasant in the least bit.

So I understand the tame limit issue. :)

I have done a teeny bit of breeding and like the results, but I'm not wanting to give into the "have to have them all imprinted" mentality. I have some outstanding tames who are not imprinted and I get by just fine. I like the benefits but don't want to obsess. Lol. Mainly because I haaaaaate staying up  in the middle of the night feeding those babies. Give me someone to do that for me and I'd probably join you in going with all imprinted. Lol.

:)

9 hours ago, LightBender said:

Nice Cadie! When and where does it say the class (if there is a class)? I’m not good at keeping my eyes on the screen and seem to always be multitasking and distracted when I should be watching. 

When you activate "Show Character Names" in green letters above the Equus it'll say "Swift Equus" or "Lazy Equus".  One thing I'll do to keep track of my breeding stock I'll rename and put in what their Equus Power is. All of my Stallions have Quagga in their name. So my main breeding stallion is named Quagga Mustang 2.73. The 2.73 is his Equus Power. My mares are named something and something, one mare being Cream and Sugar 2.31, the other being Ebony and Ivory 2.63. I recently bred my Quagga Mustang 2.73 with my Ebony and Ivory 2.63 and got a colt Quagga Zebra 2.70. So just like breeding for mutations, getting a special Equus is a rinse and repeat process to get what you want.  However, unlike breeding for mutations, level doesn't necessarily translate into equus power. I have a level 419 Stallion with an equus power of 2.53, but my lvl 159 stallion  has an equus power of 2.73 and I never touched the levels on them. Another thing I'd recommend is building a taming corral at your base or if you're in single player, then in a safe location near to where the equus spawn in, then using either a quetzal or an argy gather up and tame up as many equus as you can. You can dismount from an equus you're taming and switch to another, it makes taming up multiple equus easy and less disorienting and dizzying. After taming up a bunch, renaming them and then lining them up according to power, it makes picking and choosing the best breeding pairs easier. 

Also foals will say Baby Swift Equus or Baby Lazy Equus depending on their Equus Power, so even if you can't see what the Equus power is, you can be sure you have a special Equus. 

Thank you @CadieStarfire. I guess I don’t have any with a class identifier then. I thought the class identifier only showed up at certain times, not in the character names. I also change the names of my tames but am much less creative. Mine get a generation and gender identifier along with their original level. Something like EquusG2F13 = Generation 2 Female level13. If there is something else unique (mutation or generation crossing) I wish to remember about a tame I will add an additional number or word. It helps me to keep track of parentage/generations mostly because I’m too lazy to track it outside the game. I like the names you give your tames better though.

I haven’t much time to play yesterday and today, but I went into the spawn map groups and realized I am nearer to more equus spawns than I thought. When I get a chance again I’m going to go in and focus on clearing a few clusters in the south of the green obelisk to see what I can get to spawn in. 

Thank you for all the info everyone!

9 hours ago, Rakkasan said:

Awesome! Sounds like a new kind of pistol! ;)

Cadie, is it only those you breed that have the special classes like "Swift?"

Thanks.

My Swift Equus was bred, but as I recall, my Lazy Equus was tamed. I actually have 2 Swift Equus. One is 3.10, the other is 3.43. Both are female too. Another fun thing I did to test out each equus was to see if it could jump a fence. The Lazy Equus couldn't even jump a railing.

I just watched this video on equus. He has a bit more information, well it was new to me. It appears that the classes are related to equus power.

I found 3 more equus, they are a little better but still really low levels. I snagged and tamed the two higher leveled ones. One of them has the highest equus power I have yet found at 2.77 lol. I am guessing that is still too low for even Lazy class? Does anyone have Lazy equus and what is the lowest equus power a Lazy equus has? The new equus I found last night were both females so I have them bred and now I wait.

• 4 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 10:40 PM, CadieStarfire said:

My Swift Equus was bred, but as I recall, my Lazy Equus was tamed. I actually have 2 Swift Equus. One is 3.10, the other is 3.43. Both are female too. Another fun thing I did to test out each equus was to see if it could jump a fence. The Lazy Equus couldn't even jump a railing.

Is there a trick to getting better class equus? I've had 3 swifts pop from same parents (one occasion twin swifts) is there a method to use for higher class?

• 2 weeks later...

Just keep breeding and always breed the highest stats back into each other. Same thing with the Dodos and the mammoths. It’s entirely a random numbers game. Sometimes you’ll get it, sometimes you won’t. Just stick with it and you’ll get there eventually. I always have at least 8 mares surrounding 1 stallion. Once they are all preg, I stop the wondering on the stallion to prevent any unauthorized breeding. Once the babies are born, claimed and raised to adulthood, I clear out the slowest ones until I have the the 8 fastest mares and the 1 fastest stallion and breed them all over again.

• 1 month later...

Hey Equus breeders! I have some questions and I’m hoping someone has some information on it.

I have several times had a Swift Lazy equus born. The first couple of times it was with an equus power in the low 3 range. My herd was still mostly Lazy at that point so I assumed the combination of the classes was because I was in some overlap of the two classes? Not that the wiki suggests any overlap, just my attempt to make sense of it. Now I have my herd equus power between 3.82 and 4.23, and I have again had a few Swift Lazy equus born. This time I am getting an equus power of 4.05. I can’t see any stat or color mutations on these so what is a Swift Lazy Equus? Is there anything special other than the name? Do other classes combine like a Maiden Swift or something? 

Thank you for reading!

6 hours ago, LightBender said:

Hey Equus breeders! I have some questions and I’m hoping someone has some information on it.

I have several times had a Swift Lazy equus born. The first couple of times it was with an equus power in the low 3 range. My herd was still mostly Lazy at that point so I assumed the combination of the classes was because I was in some overlap of the two classes? Not that the wiki suggests any overlap, just my attempt to make sense of it. Now I have my herd equus power between 3.82 and 4.23, and I have again had a few Swift Lazy equus born. This time I am getting an equus power of 4.05. I can’t see any stat or color mutations on these so what is a Swift Lazy Equus? Is there anything special other than the name? Do other classes combine like a Maiden Swift or something? 

Thank you for reading!

You have an implant that says swift lazy equus on it? Implants and baby names are how you tell the classes if you don’t know specific ranges. Under 2.00 is lazy, normal from 2.00 to 3.4? Swift from there to 4.2. Then maiden, racing and thoroughbred or what have you. 

I’ve never seen classes combined and I have bred lazy ones with swift ones many times. I’d like to see this, as it may be a bug. 

6 hours ago, nintendogamer7 said:

You have an implant that says swift lazy equus on it? Implants and baby names are how you tell the classes if you don’t know specific ranges. Under 2.00 is lazy, normal from 2.00 to 3.4? Swift from there to 4.2. Then maiden, racing and thoroughbred or what have you. 

I’ve never seen classes combined and I have bred lazy ones with swift ones many times. I’d like to see this, as it may be a bug. 

Yes, I currently have three. I tried to edit the screenshots to be small but they still aren’t small enough to upload. I know there is a photo upload site that you can sign up for that works, but I can’t remember what it’s called. Anyway I will upload the screenshots shots if I can figure out how. I never look at implants on my equus herd since they are all temporary at this point. But the implants match the assigned class. I also don’t change the names except to add my personal attempt at tracking generations, that way I can see at a glance if it’s Swift, Lazy or Swift Lazy. 

Thanks for the response! If you or someone else knows what I need to do to be able to upload photos I would appreciate the info. 

Archived