Swamp cave on The Island

BlueberryJackal

I am about to go for the Swamp Cave on The Island. Is there anything I need to know about this cave, because last time i was going for it, i had to return to my base, because these stupid microraptors and Purlovias destroyed my armor and hours of grinding in just ten minutes. So before i try again is there anything that can help me somehow to retrieve the artifact safely and without some stupid creatures that destroy my armor in front of the cave entrance? 

Wear flak on your way to the cave, once you get inside change to scuba mask, tank & flippers and ghillie gloves & leggings, the arthro spit will wreck your armour and you're as good as dead if it breaks deep into the cave so take spares as well, baryonyx is the best mount that legitimately fits in there and you'll avoid most of the spit on one, if you've got cryopods then megatheriums are absolute beasts and wreck everything in there without you taking any damage to your gear apart from the natural durability loss for scuba tanks, need a bit of messing about though to get them past a couple of obstacles but make the cave so easy

I only wear gas mask no armour but have the luxury of high lvl dinos in there. U can do swamp cabe without mask or armour and just use med brews . I only have 200 health and can do it with med brews only and still survive. Just have to use them every 3 sec or so.

Granted I haven't been hit by an Artha tho. Chances are other tribes have tames in there so the start shouldn't have any spawns in there and u could possibly make it to the first area with water and still be right on foot.

I dont confront any dinos until the red drop ( left side ) or blue drop ( right side ) by then my megatherium ready to rumble. 

3 hours ago, Baklap said:

You cant go in there with flak, i use scuba mask, chest and leggings, ghilly gloves and boots.

You can wear what you want with a gas mask, it's just not really worth it unless you find a couple of decent crafted ones and even then the repair costs aren't worth it

3 hours ago, DaveH said:

sorry o hijack.. about to hit this myself for first time. Was planning on gas mask plus flak and an 800% melee otter for regulation. Does that sound like a decent plan? Will be riding a barry.

Yeah it'll work but depends on durability of the gas mask, primitive one's don't last too long in there so maybe need some backups plus always good to take a load of med brews and have them equipped ready to spam if it does break, also put plenty of fish in you barry before you go in to heal it with 

1 minute ago, RageQuitter said:

You can wear what you want with a gas mask, it's just not really worth it unless you find a couple of decent crafted ones and even then the repair costs aren't worth it

Thats why i wear scuba mask.. and not gas mask.

Im pretty sure you are still losing health if you go in there wearing only a gas mask..

All you need for swamp cave.  A semi decent bred frog and 2 decent gas masks.  No other gear.  The gas mask will prevent you from taking damage.  The ghillie and scuba is no optimal anymore as the tanks weigh 20 weight.  And the arthos destroy everything with their spit.  However.  If you only wear the gas mask their spit does not break them.  So once again.  Decent frog and 2 gas masks.  And you do NOT lose health in there if you only wear a gas mask.

Easy method

A gas mask and a good Carno and a vulture/dimorph on your shoulder. 

Go naked otherwise.

Arthro's don't damage you because you sit so high on Carno, gas mask negates poison, vulture/dimorph set to neutral houses mosquito's. 

Alternatively you can use a Bary and just jump when Arthro's go to spit. You'll love the xp and farming good loot gets easier (pulled out 114 Rex Bp, 92 MC Thyla BP, MC Flak pieces with 500+ durability, etc.)

32 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I dont think the carno fits into the cave. 

I have done the cave with three gas masks,  and a primitive ghillie torso. Every other armor, except ascendant flak boots, was an ascendant ghillie armor (i love the raptor claus loot).

I also had a 67% imprinted bary, a pistol and two shotguns. The loot was pretty disappointing. I found a green loot case with a 200% bow (already have a 600% one) and an ascendant leather pants. i also found a red loot case with a turret blueprint and a laser attachment.

Later i did the underwater cave on the west side of the island and found in a blue loot case an ascendant pump action blueprint and an ascendant theri saddle BP. 

55 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Easy method

Go naked otherwise.

Arthro's don't damage you because you sit so high on Carno, gas mask negates poison, vulture/dimorph set to neutral houses mosquito's. 

Alternatively you can use a Bary and just jump when Arthro's go to spit. You'll love the xp and farming good loot gets easier (pulled out 114 Rex Bp, 92 MC Thyla BP, MC Flak pieces with 500+ durability, etc.)

Ive been doing the cave with bary and frogs, saw a few hlvl carnos and tamed em, thinking of you using carnos. Does it fit the whole cave? If it doesnt i might as well keep using bary or frog and cryoing a megatherium

11 minutes ago, BlueberryJackal said:

I dont think the carno fits into the cave. 

I have done the cave with three gas masks,  and a primitive ghillie torso. Every other armor, except ascendant flak boots, was an ascendant ghillie armor (i love the raptor claus loot).

I also had a 67% imprinted bary, a pistol and two shotguns. The loot was pretty disappointing. I found a green loot case with a 200% bow (already have a 600% one) and an ascendant leather pants. i also found a red loot case with a turret blueprint and a laser attachment.

Later i did the underwater cave on the west side of the island and found in a blue loot case an ascendant pump action blueprint and an ascendant theri saddle BP. 

Carno is weird. You go in forward, then wiggle a bit and turn around then back it in until it stops then face forward and finish walking it in. 

Like any loot crate, rng will be determining factor. I hit the cave about 50 times over a weekend to get that stuff. I threw away quite a lot of flashlight and silencer bp's as well as less than stellar gear but it seems to spawn the higher quality items on a more regular basis.

1 hour ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Like any loot crate, rng will be determining factor. I hit the cave about 50 times over a weekend to get that stuff. I threw away quite a lot of flashlight and silencer bp's as well as less than stellar gear but it seems to spawn the higher quality items on a more regular basis.

Tbh I am doing this whole cave thing just for a few weeks. I was too bored to do caves, so I dont know if its normal, but there are spawning just a few caves loot crates. The highest number in one cave run was two or one.

• 11 months later...
On 1/7/2019 at 7:29 AM, Baklap said:

You cant go in there with flak, i use scuba mask, chest and leggings, ghilly gloves and boots.

Isnt the gillie much weaker than the flak armor though? I don’t know about scuba. Don’t have that. Also I haven’t been able to make gillie yet because the organic polymer doesn’t last long enough to collect as much as I need to make decent gillie . Ascendant gillie. Also do you know if lesser antidote works instead of a gas mask? I don’t have the engram points to unlock the gas mask, level 85

If you want to run the cave just for the artifact. take any small/medium dino. bary is a good choice. wear either a gas mask if you have them OR scuba head,chest and legs and then ghillie hands and feet.

i leave a spare megatherium in the first part of the cave on neutral as a back up tank. just run back to him and let hime wreck everything.

go through the first pathway, take some grenades as they cheap to craft to help clear out the swarms of dinos. finish them off with the bary.

once you get to the first water part where the path splits left and right, look up instead to the right of the pillar and there is a gap you can easy walk through after using a grappling hook. (look on youtube if you cant see it exactly, its not cheating or meshing, its a pre made gap)

take an otter with you so you can collect as many as you want. just sit in the artifact room.

no dino usually spawn there but keep an eye out and be prepared to either just run or fight.

What's official view on tames in caves? I saw a lot of people leaving theirs inside swamp cave for example and last time their sloth blocked corridor to blue(can still go there through a crawl route but not on mount). 

SO do GMs move / wipe / give a warning for this kind of stuff or they don't care about it?

1 hour ago, deedoubleu said:

What's official view on tames in caves? I saw a lot of people leaving theirs inside swamp cave for example and last time their sloth blocked corridor to blue(can still go there through a crawl route but not on mount). 

SO do GMs move / wipe / give a warning for this kind of stuff or they don't care about it?

Leaving tames that block cave access is stated in the CoC. Worth a ticket submission if people aren't moving themselves.

yo man not saying any of the above are right or wrong but my own way is easier in my opinion.

a fresh 90+ tamed megatherium can run this cave np, you can run the cave with no armor - 1 primitive gas mask, the megatherium shields you from the artho spit.

Its a tight fit but, run straight down the cave ramp, when you come to the little pond area and it feels like your mega cant pass, back up and run towards the right side of the wall so you clip it slightly and youll get through.

turn right get the drop and come back on yourself, past the way you just squeezed through there will be another tunnel that seems impassable, same again - run at the right wall and clip it slightly and you can get through and run the rest of the cave.

note that both the parts you squeezed through are impassable in the opposite direction but when you come back on yourself to leave, you cryo up and run to the exit - occasionally an araneo or an artho ight spawn on the way up but you can grapple past or uncryo the mega again if you fancy - really easy runs and 100% safe.

Archived