New Player Here.... What a unfun experience {RANT}

Moisty66

Started playing Ark today. Prob been some of the most unfun gaming I have ever played.

I really want to progress in this game so I keep trying server after server and keep creating new characters hoping to find a server I can build my f@#%ing thatch hut on, but I can't I just can't. Everywhere I look is Pillars owned by another player, I go inland and get killed by high level dinos.

I honestly feel like I have just totally wasted half a day of my weekend, I could have been hanging out with my kids or playing sport or even a video game I can get satisfaction out of, but no, I wasted 1\2 a day on 'you can't build here cause some jerk has built a useless pillar over there a bit' Should just say 'New player hey??? Muhahahahaha, what a sucker'

I will not be continuing my Ark journey, seemed like it could be a great game, but for a new guy it's just a waste of time.

Enjoy the player base you have Ark devs cause there's no new guys staying, I can tell you that for free.

This was posted mostly for the Devs benefit, maybe one day they might realize it's driving new players away from game.

But  just for you d1nk.  Cya mate :)

Oh and Rintrahhh, Thanks man, that's really good to know I didn't realize there was a single player mode, I really want to experience the game I am definitely gonna give this a try. Thank you for you useful post.

Thanks evilgreen, but I am just gonna play single player. I have no urge to compete with anybody just play the game. If I see another pillar that's strategically placed just to block the next guy from building I will scream. But your name has definitely urged me  to smoke a few bongs before I start, :)~~  Have a great day boys thanks for your help.

• Volunteer Moderator

Sorry but to me, this thread is like going to a free concert and complain there is no parking near the entrance... There is a lot of buildable areas on official PvE servers; just don't expect to be able to build directly where you spawned. Otherwise, as others suggested, go single-player or even go PvP and blow the structures that are in your way. Small unofficial communities are also a great choice in my opinion.

Definitely give single player a try. That’s all I do, save for some non-dedicated on console to play with a couple of friends. But in single player you decide exactly what experience you want to have, from customizing server settings to suit your tastes, to your game progression and journey in Ark. And best of all, you can go where you want, build where you want, and never need to worry when you’re done for the day.

Alternatively, if you feel the urge to socialize in the game, I see posts around here from people playing on unofficial servers that seem lovely. Just ask around and I’m sure you can find a helpful home.

Good luck out there. I absolutely love Ark, so I strongly recommend you give it a chance. ?

12 hours ago, Moisty66 said:

Started playing Ark today. Prob been some of the most unfun gaming I have ever played.

I really want to progress in this game so I keep trying server after server and keep creating new characters hoping to find a server I can build my f@#%ing thatch hut on, but I can't I just can't. Everywhere I look is Pillars owned by another player, I go inland and get killed by high level dinos.

I honestly feel like I have just totally wasted half a day of my weekend, I could have been hanging out with my kids or playing sport or even a video game I can get satisfaction out of, but no, I wasted 1\2 a day on 'you can't build here cause some jerk has built a useless pillar over there a bit' Should just say 'New player hey??? Muhahahahaha, what a sucker'

I will not be continuing my Ark journey, seemed like it could be a great game, but for a new guy it's just a waste of time.

Enjoy the player base you have Ark devs cause there's no new guys staying, I can tell you that for free.

try some unofficial servers then

There's enough unoccupied space even on high pop. servers. Just often not in the player spawn zones. Also you can always look for a low pop. server in the server list to increase your chances at finding unoccupied space quicker. 

To get inland safe (to search for a building spot for example) you could craft a wooden raft and build a hut on it. Dinos won't see you in it, but if they see you entering the hut they will attack it. You have to reach rank 16 though to unlock it, but that doesn't take very long, especially not during a 2x event on the weekend where you get double XP.

I know you have already decided on single player, but I’d really consider unofficial PVE. It’s a matter of opinion, but here’s my view of server types:

Single player: fun for a while, unlimited space and good if you can’t play often as ark is time-consuming for people with lives, but can get boring faster without human interaction.

Official PVP: don’t bother

Official PVE: seriously, don’t bother

Unofficial PVP: better than official, if you can find a server with decent people, may take a little bit of searching though and there’s always the risk you’ll lose everything to someone potentially not playing fairly

Unofficial PVE: I play on these servers. Takes FOREVER to find a good server I like, because I’m super picky and not the most confident of people so only do well with friendly players... when you find a spot you belong though? It’s great, like you’re in an actual community, working together (sometimes even if you aren’t in the same tribe, I’m a solo player myself). I love getting ideas for builds from other players and getting visits from people who want to see my dino collection. 

My opinion is, if you enjoy games where you can play with others and have time to dedicate to the game at least weekly, go unofficial PVE and find a server with good people. If you have a super busy life, and don’t care about seeing others, go ahead with single as you’re planning. 

Good luck, and have fun :)

(p.s. I’m sorry you have had people before me comment kind of rudely, I have to admit there are a lot of ark players like that, but not all of us)

I had the same problem when i first started.

After hopping servers a couple time i found one with less players, but after a month or so i found out it was a legacy server and that it might be taken down whenever wc feels like it.

So i switched to an unofficial server with friendly people and semi official rates.

I can even go on a holiday for a couple weeks and when i come back everything is still there :D (24 days timer on stone structures before others can demolish them).

so much better.

ARK isn't for everyone, and I don't mean to sound like that guy who spouts cliches but ARK is very much a social game if you play on official servers, and communicating your needs to other players can help you survive in a world that is horribly unforgiving to new players. If you can make it past the beginning of the game and get a foothold, the game is incredibly rewarding and addictive. Even at end game, there are w.t.f. moments in ARK, like when your prized wyvern decides to sit in lava instead of landing on the damn nest, or you are gliding with your wing suit and your chest armor runs out of durability, causing you to fall into a pack of wolves. It's a survival game, and you are going to die... repeatedly. Often in hilarious ways. You can be taming the perfect dino, have it enclosed with spiked walls, and then a seagull swoops in and steals the kibble from the knocked out dinos inventory, making you wanna punch something. But its not contrived, the randomness and sometimes trollish nature of wildlife in ARK is part of the charm.

It sucks that some people quit right away, ARK is so much fun, even after thousands of hours and years of time spent in game. It's just shockingly unforgiving at times, and thats why some of us love it.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:05 AM, Moisty66 said:

This was posted mostly for the Devs benefit, maybe one day they might realize it's driving new players away from game.

Ohhh Moisty...  If the devs took forum feedback (or any feedback really :P) seriously, they would've fixed the minor problems that have plagued this game since Early Access, implemented more to improve the Quality of Life/stability of the game, and not launched an expansion pack with a built-in social experiment to see how the PvE playerbase would react to having unlimited access/opportunity to grief one another (spoiler:  poorly).

Some of the above is my opinion.  I'm not saying it hasn't improved and they have fully ignored all feedback from the playerbase/forums, but occasionally it seems they hold off on purpose with simple changes to see what happens.  But @Swordguy is onto something, as well as @invincibleqc.  ARK is not for everyone, and you gotta get your ass moving if you are starting.  You can't be afraid to die while hounding out an area to build, and as you have seen, start-spawnzones are a pillared nightmare.  Yet...  Even on populated maps with large stretches of pillared fields, you can find a place to build your Sanctum Sanctorum and get some respite from the harshness of the ARK.  Or switch to unofficial ARK, with boosted rates and some QOL mods.

It takes time.  There is plenty of space on official PvE servers, you just have to find it and stake your claim.

On 1/6/2019 at 1:42 AM, Moisty66 said:

come play extinction. there is a lot of space on the bridge, and it safe. :D hope you enjoy.!

I started playing Ark in Single Player simply because I did not want to deal with other people - my idea was to familiarize myself with the game and then consider entering the online social world. That was almost a year ago and I'm still happily playing Single Player. I've found that I enjoy building, creating, taming, (and now experimenting with breeding) without the annoyance that is human intrusion. I have, however, gotten a couple of other people into Ark, and we are considering our own server - I can see the appeal of playing cooperatively with others, I just don't want all of my hard work wiped by some angst-ridden 15 year old with something to prove.

As others have said, Ark isn't for everyone, but I think you'd get a better experience starting in Single Player to see how fun (yet, still frustrating at times) the Ark environment can be without the nuisance of other people around. 

2 hours ago, JNoble said:

I started playing Ark in Single Player simply because I did not want to deal with other people - my idea was to familiarize myself with the game and then consider entering the online social world. That was almost a year ago and I'm still happily playing Single Player. I've found that I enjoy building, creating, taming, (and now experimenting with breeding) without the annoyance that is human intrusion. I have, however, gotten a couple of other people into Ark, and we are considering our own server - I can see the appeal of playing cooperatively with others, I just don't want all of my hard work wiped by some angst-ridden 15 year old with something to prove.

As others have said, Ark isn't for everyone, but I think you'd get a better experience starting in Single Player to see how fun (yet, still frustrating at times) the Ark environment can be without the nuisance of other people around. 

You would enjoy a server with your friends. You can turn the food decay down a bunch so you can take month or more long breaks if needed. The persistant world and customize options are great. Generally they are more smooth than SP aswell.

Archived