Which creature on The Island is the best one to use as livestock?

StarMerc89

Hey there, new here, just started playing ARK for ps4 about a week or so ago, gotta say, I love the game. I haven't really been following the story much, mostly just doing whatever catches my fancy.

But one thing I've been wanting to figure out, is which creature is the best to use as livestock for meat and hide?

I've taken a liking to the Parasaur and sometimes using it for that purpose, but not really dedicating to it. Before I actually decide to actually dedicate myself to this, I wanted to get the input of other players who have been playing for longer than I have.

So what do you recommend guys?

14 minutes ago, StarMerc89 said:

Snip

Are you in singleplayer or a server? If server, official or nah? This might make certain options better than others. 

Ovis/sheep provide wool and raw mutton, which mutton tames carnivores the best second only to their preferred kibble. Ovis are extremely rare though. 

When it comes to meat/hide, it really depends. If breeding is sped up for you at all, diplos can be a great source. But in official, that will take way too much time and resources to be worth it. Parasaurs and phiomias could be a great option too. 

That being said, you'll find once you get a good fighting mount, hide and meat are never hard to find. Tbh, making a livestock animal is probably more effort than necessary. 

The amount of time you'd spend taming and breeding for 140 hide and 30 meat is crazy.. As said above Ovis (sheep) are the only real 'livestock' option. 

Get a nice meat eater tame and you wont have a problem. If you are looking for some thing small a direwolf is great for a new tame. Don't need a saddle, there's a lot better ones according to where you live and what dinos you have access to, of course.

2 hours ago, Slvr said:

Tbh, making a livestock animal is probably more effort than necessary. 

Eh, maybe.

What would you recommend for a good all round fighting mount? Spino? Rex? Baryonyx?

And no, I can only do single player, I don't make enough money to afford the PS plus membership to do official server.

3 minutes ago, StarMerc89 said:

Eh, maybe.

What would you recommend for a good all round fighting mount? Spino? Rex? Baryonyx?

And no, I can only do single player, I don't make enough money to afford the PS plus membership to do official server.

Any of those really. Baryonyx is good if you need fish too though, as it can stun things in the water. Its weight will leave something to be desired if it's a low level though. 

Spinos are pretty slow in the water but move faster than a rex on land and deal comparable damage, especially when standing up. Personally, spino and bary are some of my favorites. 

Rex is a pure powerhouse. It will work just as fine as the rest but for me, its slowness and stamina are a dealbreaker. Rexes are more for mobile base protection and boss fights imo. 

1 hour ago, Slvr said:

Rex is a pure powerhouse. It will work just as fine as the rest but for me, its slowness and stamina are a dealbreaker. Rexes are more for mobile base protection and boss fights imo. 

Personally, I like the Rex. But I do have to agree on the slowness and stamina part.

What do you think of Raptors?

2 minutes ago, StarMerc89 said:

Personally, I like the Rex. But I do have to agree on the slowness and stamina part.

What do you think of Raptors?

Raptors are awesome at higher levels and in packs of 3+. Make sure there's at least one of each gender so you get mate boost. The weight stat can be a real pain unless you get a level 100+ though. 

4 hours ago, StarMerc89 said:

One of the best options for collecting hide is a Thylacoleo. An easier method would be a Direwolf or a Sabertooth. Direwolfs get a pack bonus, but Sabers have a saddle. All three can be used as an battle mount, but the best option would be the Thyla due to its abilty to climb vertical surfaces.

But for fighting in general breed Barys can be a really good mount. My newest Bary has 1.3k melee, 11k health and 230% speed (already some level ups). Carnos can also be a good battle mount due to the relative early access. 

Your decision.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:04 AM, StarMerc89 said:

Eh, maybe.

If I really had only one choice for a fighting mount for farming its unquestionably the Theri, HOWEVER Thylas are incredibly mobile, you can shoot from their back, can climb, can swim relatively fast, and considering its speed once its got a good chunk into melee can harvest hide faster than a theri simply because it can get from dino to dino faster and doesnt require you to use a specific attack to get max farm out of the body.

But the only thing that theri cant handle is a wild giga.

17 minutes ago, RipMoFo said:

But the only thing that theri cant handle is a wild giga.

You have inspired me with a project. My theriz arent great but I think with my 100 arm saddle, a virtual load of cakes and mate boost I could -maybe- stand a chance! 

Worth some fun on a thrtheriz boss theriz though :) 

* Yes. I know its virtually impossible but would be fun!

Archived