Singleplayer Bosses check?

e4envy

I'm currently playing on a non-dedicated server that I host for my friends and I (though it's usually just me) with the Singleplayer Settings checked and various other sliders/settings configured (mostly focusing on harvesting, breeding, maturing) and I'm at the stage where I'm gearing up for tackling Broodmother.. considering how tedious caving is, when it comes time for boss fights I'm probably just going to take them straight on at Hard - though that's subject to change.

Considering all this, a question that I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer for is what exactly I need to put into my boss-fighting team. Currently, I have two rexes that I am going to use for breeding, tamed at levels 150 and 168 (I set the cap to 180) and each ending up at levels 222 and 241, respectively. Before taming effectiveness, they both had around 8k health but the higher-leveled male had something like 800% melee damage (about 37 points according to the wiki!) compared to the female's 500% or thereabouts. They're currently at around 60k HP, and I think that's what I'm going to reach for any new babies with the rest poured into melee - female is currently at 2.6k% and male is at 3.7k%. For comparison, the couple took out a level 68 Alpha Rex in about five bites total, the entire fight lasting less than ten seconds.

My main concern is that I don't know exactly what's enough or what else I need in order to start tackling the bosses. I've done research and seen posts from the past 2-3 years saying people nailed the bosses with ~10 20-40k HP and 500-800% damage, some saying that 20 rexes of similar stats failing, and all sorts of variations in between, which makes me really cautious. Keep in mind I am also playing with the singleplayer settings/non-dedicated which, to my knowledge, makes bosses a lot easier, but I'd rather take no chances than go in underprepared and lose everything.

I'm definitely not going in until I have at least some 50+ armor saddles on about 8-10 rexes with imprinting, and I'm thinking on bringing a couple Daeodons in for the healing. What do you guys think? Is it going to be overkill, and I'm worrying for nothing? Are there a couple other precautions I need to take? Should I let my friends imprint some of my breeds and drag them in for a couple extra 30% boosts?

Honestly your rexs are probably fine. Singleplayer settings keeps max difficulty down, while cranking up tamed dino stats (and affinities to stats) if you feel you need a better saddle, keep running swamp cave and easy underwater cave (plus red drops between)

I would honestly get your best mated pair, put them aside and just take them in and test. Alpha brood is a huge step up from medium, second hardest boss phase besides alpha dragon. To be safe you can bring a pair of Megatherium set to aggressive to kill spiders so you can focus on the boss with the other 17 rexs and your yuty. Pigs are for after to heal up. You could forgoe one rex slot and keep a pig in a  cryopod, if rexs start getting bloody buff em up, run near megas and cryo it out, ride and whistle follow to ur yuty go in for a heal. (Pig will probably die when u remount yuty) Honestly untested with cryopod deployment but I have heard you can if the dino is eligable

Alright, I just tested out Alpha Broodmother using a fresh character (uploaded my original/main to obelisk, created new, redownloaded original when I was done) and console commands. Here's everything that I found/did, through my fifteen-or-so minute and one-run test:

I spawned in ten level 120 rexes with gmsummon, which tamed them with 100% efficiency - they all ended up at level 180. I equipped them all with regular saddles, used "addexperience 30000 0 1" to level them all to about 248, and poured enough points into HP as to give them 51k HP (I got overzealous with the clicking on some, so a couple ended up with 61k~), and then put the rest of their points into melee which ended up anywhere from low 2k to high 3k depending on the dino. In order to instantly heal them up, I used infinitestats. Before I move on, I want to note that these are on average a little weaker than my own current rexes, which are all at (or will be) 61k HP. The two originals come in at 2k-3k% melee, but the two I've bred so far have ended up with 5k% melee. I assume that the other six or so rexes I'm going to end up breeding will be the same.

Now, on to the fight. I gave myself everything needed to open the Alpha portal and went in. The headcount at this point is simply 10 level 248 rexes with 51k HP and 2.5k% melee, all with 25 armor saddles. Broodmother Lysrix spawned in at level 1, which apparently according to Singleplayer/non-dedicated settings is what every boss will spawn in at - right before this, I went in with 10 level 180 tamed rexes and she was level 1 then (that run didn't go as well), so unless there's a 50/50 chance, that can be counted on. If the stat chart on the wiki is accurate, this means that level 1 Alpha Broodmother has about 972k health and does 540 damage per hit. It took about three minutes of straight chomping for the boss to go down, and I assume I was lucky because the rexes were smart enough to surround her. None of the 10 rexes died, though a couple were heavily injured (~10% health), some were moderately injured (20-50% health), and a few seemed to have taken no damage at all.

Since this was only one run, who knows what could've happened. This was also a barebones test, so anything like more points put into health/melee, decent quality saddles, imprinting bonuses, a daeodon or two for healing, and/or a yuty for the courage roar bonuses would've helped to swing it more in my favor. Going with my original plan above, I believe that it would go very well indeed.

I hope this helps anyone who might also be super cautious about taking on the bosses - I'll check back once I've gone in with my own team, but for now, this is what we've got to go on. It might be quite a while, but I'll also post updates for fighting Alpha Megapithecus and Alpha Dragon - including if I decide to go in with a test run first. To those of you singleplayers yearning for some legit TEK and boss fighting - it's possible, and with not the maximum amount of effort (though a lot of time!)!

Alright, it's update time! It took a little longer than I expected to get around to facing Broodmother because I was waiting for a time when my friends would be able to be on as well. We took her on last night, alpha difficulty, and here was the matchup:

9 Rexes - around 61k HP and anywhere from high 2 to mid 4k melee %

1 Yuty with about 5k stamina

2 Daeodons with 12k and 18k food

VS:

Broodmother Lysrix, Level 1, 972,000HP

She was taken out handily. No rex dropped below 40k HP, and no losses were suffered. It took the whole of about two minutes, give or take a handful of seconds. I very strongly believe that any similar team will be able to secure a victory, even ones with stats that end up a little lower. The daeodon's healing seems to be more of an safety precaution or anxiety-reducer, because it seems like the yuty's courage roar really did wonders to make the fight quicker and the rexes more survivable. If you had to choose between either of those two extras, go with the yuty. That extra 25% damage can almost give 7 rexes the damage of 10, and the 20% reduction in damage will make sure that everyone lives to see the end. One final call out to those singleplayers out there that are warily eyeing boss fights, I hope this eases your tension and remember: if you're at all unsure, pull out all the stops! Go all the way! Overpreparing will hurt a LOT less than going in unprepared.

Archived