Community Crunch 162: Happy New Year, Public Beta & Extinction Transfers Soon, & Xbox Game Pass!

Jen

I have been conversing with my fellow server members and they all think that opening server transfers on extinction is digging a grave for yourselves. Wildcard is killing the longevity of their game and with no sought out future it will be the death of ark. Please reconsider it or at least keep it closed for pve. Since it already is less of a challenge to begin with. It also kills the exclusiveness of the map. Please wildcard make the right decision.

PLEASE LEAVE TRANSFERS TO EXTINCTION LOCKED!!! 
MOST SERVERS WILL BE CAPPED, WITHIN THE HOUR. LITTERED WITH RIDICULOUS STRUCTURES THAT MAKE THE MAP UNPLAYABLE, A BLUESCREEN AT EVERY CORNER. 
EVERY PVE SERVER WILL HAVE GRIEFERS COMING OVER JUST TO USE CORRUPTED TO RUIN THE SERVERS ORIGINAL PLAYERS BASES JUST TO LOOT CRYOFRIDGES AND VAULTS FOR DINOS AND BPS.
WE ALL HAVE THE HIGHEST QUALITY BPS AND DINO STATS SO UNLOCKING THIS DLC WILL ONLY REDUCE THE MAPS LONGEVITY AND LOSE YOU WHAT FEW PLAYERS YOU HAVE LEFT PLAYING.

I REALLY HOPE YOU LISTEN TO THE PLAYERS VOICE ON THIS MATTER, BE A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT IF YOU DO NOT.

WILL DEFINITELY BE MY LAST MONTH ON ARK IF THIS EXTINCTION TRANSFER HAPPENS.

2019, ABOUT TIME WILDCARD TRULY "SUPPORTED" ITS TOLERANT AND FORGIVING PLAYERBASE

ALSO HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS SORT OUT THE 25-40MINS TIME WE LOSE EVERY 8HRS DUE TO LAG, CONSTANT KICKS AND SLOW LAGGY GAMEPLAY ON EXTINCTION. IF YOU THINK PEOPLE WILL EVEN THINK OF BUYING THIS ATLAS CRAP AFTER THE WAY WILDCARD HAS TREATED THEM ON THIS GAME YOU ARE DELUDED.

RIGHT NOW EVERY PLAYER I KNOW ARE SICK OF THIS CRAP, THE LACK OF ACTION YOU ARE TAKING ON THINGS THAT ACTUALLY MATTER.

YOUR TIME AND EFFORT ARE CLEARLY GOING INTO UNNECESSARY IDEAS, YOU SHOULD BE MORE CONCERNED WITH THE THINGS THAT MAKE THE GAME WORK AS INTENDED AND LESS TIME ON NEW IDEAS. 

SCREW S+, RAPTOR CLAUS AND ALL THAT USELESS NONSENSE(WASTE OF TIME WHEN THE MAIN GAME CANT EVEN FUNCTION RIGHT)

WE WOULD RATHER HAVE A FULLY FUNCTIONAL ARK EXPERIENCE FIRST THAT DOESN'T CAUSE FRUSTRATION AND DISAPPOINTMENT WITHIN 10MINS OF GAMEPLAY (10MINS IS BEING GENEROUS)

So. My opinion on server transfers is that some dinos should be allowed, specifically ones that can breed. I thing This would be an approach that would make playing on Extinction better for players new to it, but not create as big of problems with larger tribes transferring their best dinos over and dominating a server. 

Also, meshing is an issue, and i recognize this, but nothing is going to be done about it in this Ark. The meshing solution is to get a new engine, but getting a new engine would require finding one, learning to use it, and recreating all the things to do with the engine. The mesh is made with the same engine as the dinos, the structures, and the ground and landscape. To fix the meshing issue, I believe that they would have to delete all the dinos and structures, and remake them, causing everyone with progress to loose it. The mesh is made of the same stuff as the armor on you character and the dinos, and you can tell when dinos are not properly loaded in, they look very much like the ground when it is not loaded in properly. Happy New Year, and I hope other more fixable issues are fixed :)  

Edited by EternalPhoenix

On 1/1/2019 at 11:50 AM, chancho33015 said:

Well, this year has been interesting. WildCard has had its up and downs. However, if i were to be honest what i love about Ark is not the game perse. It has allowed me to meet cool people while i do something with them. Something silly, something entertaining, or just waiting for eggs to hatch for hours just talking nonsense to my friends. Ark greatest quality is not perhaps the game it self but connecting people around. It feels like Facebook. Where the core idea is connecting people while nonsense happens around as they are selling your personal information/scamming you but the fun is in the people within. I am happy Ark has a cool community within. Maybe not everyone like everyone because of [][][][] issues and just wildcard being wildcard...but the game has withing all this darkness a bright spot. and that is US. The gamers, the friends, and the family  we have made here through the years. I hope everyone has a great 2019. I hope Wildcard gets their game to where they actually match their trailers. But if it doesn't happen, we still have each other to talk smack about wildcard while playing the game when things go south. Because if we are going to play, it will be together, and we are going to leave...it will be together! :) 

HAPPY 2019!

I agree with this as well.

On 1/2/2019 at 4:51 PM, Gravex said:

It’s the end of extinction servers on the 15th , it was fun while it lasted :) 

Nonsense. You clearly weren't around when they opened up aberration to transfers becuase if you were, you'd remember it actually brought back many aberration players who had stopped playing on the server other than to feed their dinos.

3 hours ago, EternalPhoenix said:

Also, meshing is an issue, and i recognize this, but nothing is going to be done about it in this Ark. The meshing solution is to get a new engine,:)  

No. All wildcard has to do is update the old Unreal Engine they are currently using to a more recent release. There have been over 12 versions released since the current ark version was released and many of the long standing bugs in the game including meshing AND the GPU bug that causes "Hung" crashes have been fully addressed. Also the crashing associated with the new RTX cards i believe has been patched.

And before anyone repeats the BS that its highly customized and would requires re-writing the game, it is a fact that the Unreal Engine is specifically designed to be updated while allowing ALL customization to then be back ported into the new version. I've asked this question directly to those who actually make the Unreal Engine and i was told that any developer who claims it either can't be done or it would be a monumental task is simply not being truthful.

Edited by AndrewLB
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Garyo86 said:

*snip*

Congratulations. You just posted a block of crap that nobody is going to read because you committed a cardinal sin of the internet by posting in all caps. I didn't even make it through the first sentence before i began feeling mild discomfort  and the beginnings of a migraine. And if you think that is bad, i can't imagine what effect it might have had on all the snowflakes out there.

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, AndrewLB said:

No. All wildcard has to do is update the old Unreal Engine they are currently using to a more recent release. There have been over 12 versions released since the current ark version was released and many of the long standing bugs in the game including meshing AND the GPU bug that causes "Hung" crashes have been fully addressed. Also the crashing associated with the new RTX cards i believe has been patched.

And before anyone repeats the BS that its highly customized and would requires re-writing the game, it is a fact that the Unreal Engine is specifically designed to be updated while allowing ALL customization to then be back ported into the new version. I've asked this question directly to those who actually make the Unreal Engine and i was told that any developer who claims it either can't be done or it would be a monumental task is simply not being truthful.

Posting the entire response from the developers of the Unreal Engine would go a long way here to quell the natural cynicism of the average internet aficionado. 

On 1/1/2019 at 8:42 AM, btb556 said:

What on earth is going on in that picture and is it a teaser

It is in fact a teaser. I'm not referring to the top half of the drawing. I speak of the lower half. Maybe someone could correct me but I don't see a single "wildcard" employee who isn't dressed in pirate garb. Which makes no sense because I was under the impression that Atlus was being made by Grapeshot Games, a "sister" developer and NOT Wildcard, and that Wildcard will still be working on fixing and improving Ark. hmm....

This leads me to believe that wildcard and grapeshot are one in the same and grapeshot games llc was created  for legal reasons in case atlus was a complete failure and consumers demanded their money back, grapeshot could simply go bankrupt and wildcards profitability would be protected since it's a different company. It's a shell game as the parent company's name, Snail games, implies.

34 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Posting the entire response from the developers of the Unreal Engine would go a long way here to quell the natural cynicism of the average internet aficionado. 

It was an emailed response that i no longer have. I would suggest going over to unrealengine.com and learning a bit about the engine Ark is built on and in no time you'd see how it is a fully modular engine design that is specifically made to be updated/upgraded even on projects late in development. Like with other engines, UE4 project code as any code naturally degrades due to changes in API and the engine developers have included a system which will detect and give deprecation warnings, allowing for the developer to make the appropriate changes and ensure a smooth transition to the newer version.  It is not a difficult process but on fully fleshed out projects, depending on the quality of code it can be a bit time consuming.

The only thing stopping wildcard from upgrading the UE4 engine is the time it would take to do the upgrade which should be done on a version to version basis which they should have done all throughout early access but they didn't, and the time and manpower (which = money) required to thoroughly test before releasing it to the public. Wildcard themselves created this problem by not updating the engine since 2015 except on two occasions. Now they're stuck with the choice of spending the time and money to do what they should have done or to say ,,I,, to everyone who paid money for a product that shouldn't have these game breaking problems and instead try and placate them with cosmetic updates until the user base is so small that any complaints can be safely ignored.

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

A shame. Yet, convenient.

I was surprised that the dev even responded to my question with such candor even in an e-mail, considering its bad form to directly criticize fellow developers and in this case a client using your engine. Lets just put it this way, he asked not to have his e-mail or identity used specifically because it could result in issues when seeking future employment as a developer. I aim to honor his request.  I'll leave it at that.

• Volunteer Moderator
24 minutes ago, AndrewLB said:

I was surprised that the dev even responded to my question with such candor even in an e-mail, considering its bad form to directly criticize fellow developers and in this case a client using your engine. Lets just put it this way, he asked not to have his e-mail or identity used specifically because it could result in issues when seeking future employment as a developer. I aim to honor his request.  I'll leave it at that.

Oh of course. I totally understand his trepidation sharing something that could possibly end his career, with a random stranger (just one), on the internet.

Can’t be too safe these days. 

Edited by Joebl0w13

The 15th January.  The extinction of extinction! Our server now from between 40 to 60 players has gone down to 9!!  9 people online since u released the news of transfers.  Many have cryoed all their new tames, as they will be bringing better.  Others have killed off their kibble farms as they are no longer required when u have a kibble farm on another server.   The breeders have cyroed their babies and are waiting to bring over eggs and full grown dinos on the 15th.  Titans are not being tamed lol since day 3 at least 2 titans always active on the map.  Now none!  New players are leaving, like they say how do u compete with players who have everything on other maps?  You created a level playing field, and now you are taking it away, opening the map to transfers offers no more challenge for us big tribes.  Red drops pffft will become sooooo easy, legendary drops will no longer be a thing.  do you even know the stats of dinos out there?  Clearly they are alot higher than what you are aware of, as if this was the case you would keep the transfers closed!  it has been fun taming low levels to build up and try to survive.  Its been fun working towards a kibble farm and building a new base.  Its be fun meeting new people and working together to get where we are.  But alas all good things come to an end, all plans put on hold until then i will join the others cyro all my dinos and wait for the 15th.   

Please reconsider the kibble change.   Most people interact with dinos by taming them for kibble farms.  Eliminate that and you have eliminated 90% of the dino content from your game.  Taming and maintaining a kibble farm is s challenge.   Why would you eliminate and entire aspect of your game.   It seems not well thought out.

On 1/2/2019 at 4:29 PM, MrV141 said:

Its such a shame that transfers are opening up on servers, i fear this will kill extinction maps entirely. Most of the fun of Ark is starting fresh, and i feel this will just mean that every server will hit dino cap pretty quickly.

I agree.  This seems super fast compared to Abberation.   We are still getting fresh tribes to our server. Which means people are still buying the dlcs.  why ruin it with alpha tribe mega dominance.   Seems stupid 

Ark is still heartbreaking and disappointing to those who start new. The fact that people can just transfer servers with high level tames is killing this game and allowing trolls to run around making it impossible for newcomers to even have as much as a stone base. Everything gets wiped in every server that has a large tribe. The transfers are TOXIC to “The Island” seeing as the majority of us who have a base on the island and stay can NOT have any tames that would be able to defend against other DLCs tames. The wyvern was too much and now they have more tames that can just go through and wipe Island servers solo. It’s ridiculous. 

Edited by maxTHUND3RDOME

The only players crying over dino transfers to Extinction are those tribes that have pillored the maps up so much that it's impossible for us legit players to trap and tame wild Dinos.

Well done WC you have levelled the playing field.

P.S please look into the debilitating DCing on official dedicated ....its a tad annoying 

22 minutes ago, MikeyW said:

The only players crying over dino transfers to Extinction are those tribes that have pillored the maps up so much that it's impossible for us legit players to trap and tame wild Dinos.

Well done WC you have levelled the playing field.

P.S please look into the debilitating DCing on official dedicated ....its a tad annoying 

Na, you my friend are wrong :)

The problem is there is away to play this map, and they have been balancing dino's to not be able to over power or under power the intended mechanics of the map, OSD's and Element veins etc.. by allowing tranfers there will be waves of unbalanced dino's coming in that can abuse the mechanics we have adapted to with the tools and dino's given.

A wyverns can solo everything and kill anything on this map, a rock drake will slaughter everything, same as reapers etc.... 

They are basically opening the map that works to a unbalanced mess of over bred and over powered dino's hoards which will finish this map!

Brains cells are being lacked this day......

7 hours ago, AndrewLB said:

It is in fact a teaser. I'm not referring to the top half of the drawing. I speak of the lower half. Maybe someone could correct me but I don't see a single "wildcard" employee who isn't dressed in pirate garb. Which makes no sense because I was under the impression that Atlus was being made by Grapeshot Games, a "sister" developer and NOT Wildcard, and that Wildcard will still be working on fixing and improving Ark. hmm....

Cant be looking at the same picture as I am then as the entire right handside of the picture are dressed in survivor gear and not pirate gear. I spy cloth, hide, desert, chitin, fur etc etc. Above them is the king titan. That would be WC. The entire left hand side is dressed in pirate and topped by that kraken thing. That would be GG.